Kickboxer: Retaliation (2018)

mpm74

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised to see this appear on Playstation Network this week but quite excited that I no longer had to wait until March for the blu ray/dvd release of a film that i've been looking forward to for quite some time. Unfortunately I have to say I was very disappointed and am pleased that I never purchased the disc as i'd originally intended (PSN is a rental service for anybody not familiar with it). Basically it's boring, when it finished I could barely remember anything at all that happened because....nothing does!! It starts with a weird dream sequence on a train then Kurt Sloane is told that he has to fight somebody that he doesn't want to so he spends his time in jail (for killing Tong Po in the first film) avoiding the fight before finally fighting the guy after all. The problem is I didn't care if he fought the guy or not, the characters are so underdeveloped and none of it makes sense so I spent much of the 2 hour running time just checking how much longer I had to stay awake watching it. The worst thing is that that's not the biggest problem, the fights are crap too, mostly random guys run at Kurt and he kicks them away sometimes with a flashy move done in slow motion, if this was made 10 years ago it would have looked out of date as we've seen it done before (and much better) by guys like Tony Jaa and later Scott Adkins. The first movie had its faults but I managed to enjoy it and watched it several times, I don't think i'll ever waste 2 hours with this one again.

DragonClaws

Behind the scenes still, from the sequel. U.K fans action fan can pick up their copy of Kickboxer Retaliation tomorrow on Blu-Ray & DVD.

9_midi.jpg

ShaOW!linDude

Watched this Sunday night. It's a fairly solid film. Some really good ground choreography throughout, but not any really Wow! moments. Van Damme's character seems to be dialed back, but still enjoyable. Tyson's role is pretty good, and I liked his fight scene with Moussi, though his fight scene with JCVD is nothing but a tease. Moussi's character takes a beating throughout the film and he takes some really nice falls with good impacts. The end fight is long and drawn out. Again it's solid for the most part, but nothing really stands out. Seems like the fight team failed to take note of the lesson regarding gradual build-up throughout the film so that the finale pulls out the stops. I really don't see any progression. It's just solid choreography all the way through, which isn't a bad thing. Still, I think I enjoyed Moussi's first outing in the role best so far.

DragonClaws

Sat down to re-visit the epic latest installment in the Kickboxer saga. Any Kung Fu Fandom readers/followers, who are interested in my opinions, just click on the link below, thank you.

Never disturb a man during meditation, especially when he's pretty handy with his fists. Kurt Sloane(Moussi) gets the full fury of Briggs(Tyson) anger.

16-KB2-002-3A8A11230.jpg

Archived