Kickboxer: Retaliation (2018)

mpm74

Ready for this? A sequel to the soon-to-be released Kickboxer: Vengeance, titled Kickboxer: Retaliation, has been officially announced.

There’s no word if John Stockwell (In the Blood) is returning to the director’s chair, but Alain Moussi is definitely reprising his role as Kurt Sloan. Also returning is writer/producer of Kickboxer: Vengeance, Dimitri Logothetis (Wings of the Dragon), who’ll most-likely be taking on the same duties.

There’s also some speculation that UFC Champ Fabrício Werdum is attached. And who knows, maybe this time around, Tony Jaa and Scott Adkins may participate?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Um, isn't this a bit premature? I understand being hopeful and I want to movie to be good, but I'm thinking the studios are jumping the gun here and counting their chickens before they hatch. And when that happens, something usually dies.

Mmm-mmm. I love chicken.

Um, isn't this a bit premature? I understand being hopeful and I want to movie to be good, but I'm thinking the studios are jumping the gun here and counting their chickens before they hatch. And when that happens, something usually dies.

Mmm-mmm. I love chicken.

Probably received decent screening??

With the term Kickboxer (new and old) already bring a franchise, it's a safe bet that their financial forecast is pretty strong. Plus, they already have the MMA crowd with the addition of another UFC Champ in sequel's title. 

Something tells me that both films will be straight-to-video (Limited theatrical release and iTunes premiers don't count). 

Maybe, MAYBE, the Kickboxer: Vengeance will go theatrical, but only because of Bautista's current star power. 

kickboxer2a.jpg

Since we lost the posts, here is the update for the newcomers:

Dimitri Logothetis directed and wrote the sequel, which unlike the original saga, will bring back Kurt Sloane, once again played by Alain Moussi and Master Durand, played by Jean-Claude Van Damme.

The official synopsis:
"Kickboxer: Retaliation continues where Kickboxer: Vengeance left off. It has now been 12 months since Kurt Sloan left Thailand vowing never to return. We pickup the story in a crowded sports arena with cheering fans where Kurt is now in a new battle – A title bout for the MMA World Championship title. When Kurt returns back to the locker room he is met by a familiar face along with, what we are led to believe to be two US marshals who charge Kurt with a crime and is extradited back to Thailand in an illegal manner. At some point during the journey, Kurt is sedated and later wakes up in a dingy cell at an infamous prison in Bangkok, Thailand.

Kurt soon meets the masterminds behind his abduction and is told he needs to fight a new formidable foe named Mongkut, who is a beast of a man, standing at 6'8" and weighing in around 400 lbs of solid muscle. This is a spectacle they know will bring in millions. Kurt is offered 2 million dollars to fight or face a life term behind bars, but Kurt is steadfast and just wants to go home…He will not put a price on human life for the pleasure of others. A bounty is placed on Kurt's head, prompting other prisoners to take shots to help coerce him to fight, however, Kurt can certainly hold his own and is not phased at all by any of this , however, eventually, under duress, he is forced to fight.

Kurt does not fully comprehend the challenge he has ahead of him until he encounters the pure size and strength of the man named Mongkut. Through much pain and pure determination, Kurt is put through some of the most enduring training he has ever experienced to prepare him for the fight for his life."

Hafthor Julius Bjornsson, known for his role as Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane on Game of Thrones plays Mongkut. Sara Malakul Lane returns as Kurt's love interest Liu and Sam Medina returns as Crawford. UFC fighters Fabricio Werdum and Roy "Big Country" Nelson, strongman Brian Shaw, kickboxing champion Rico Verhoeven, soccer star Ronaldinho, and boxing legend Mike Tyson all co-star along with Christopher Lambert as Thomas Moore, the set-up man behind the big match.

Fight choreography this time is done by Jean-Francois LaChappelle and Alain Moussi.

Set & Press Conference pics:

ronaldinhotyson.jpg

Kickboxer-2-Movie-Set.jpg

13348760_1138767192810166_780560930_n.jp

IMG_0469.jpg

0874800.jpg

Kurt vs. Mongkut

sloan-vs-mongkut.jpg

DragonClaws

Thanks for posting the trailer @kingofkungfu2002.

The trialer looks really good, spotted some brief nunchaku action in there. Christopher Lambert looks and sounds the part as the movies mian villian. For some reason the link you posted no longer works now?.

10 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The trialer looks really good, spotted some brief nunchaku action in there. Christopher Lambert looks and sounds the part as the movies mian villian. For some reason the link you posted no longer works now?.

The trailer was a leak. If you saw the credits at the end, it was clear that it wasn't complete, but I like what I saw. Could be an improvement on Vengeance.

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, AlbertV said:

23 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The trailer was a leak. If you saw the credits at the end, it was clear that it wasn't complete, but I like what I saw. Could be an improvement on Vengeance.

I found the trialer again on YouTube and posted it in the Alain Moussi appreciation thread. This was beofre reading your post here, now the link I posted has been removed too.

Still haven't got round to watching the re-make yet, but the sequel looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Kickboxer Vengeance is a lot of fun, a really good flick - well worth your time.

Had no idea the trailer for Retaliation was a leaked one - wonder who did it?

Hope it pops back up soon - film looks excellent.

ShaOW!linDude

Hmmm...the IMDb page for this says Demetri Logothetis is the director of the movie, but the trailer credits say "Alan Smithy".

I liked the first one well enough. This looks like more of the same, so I'm down.

2 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Hmmm...the IMDb page for this says Demetri Logothetis is the director of the movie, but the trailer credits say "Alan Smithy".

I liked the first one well enough. This looks like more of the same, so I'm down.

If you look carefully (uploaded the title card :)), it was the leaked trailer re-released. They even list cast members "John Doe", "Jane Doe", and "Jim Doe" as The Loved One. But yes, Dimitri Logothetis is the director of this tone.

But for its production value, I agree, it does look good plus the cast of fighters in the film (Tyson, Werdum, Big Country, Renato Sobral, Wanderlei Silva, Rico Verhoeven, James Bennett to name a few) and strongmen Brian Shaw and Hafthor Bjornsson may make this interesting. Read a rumor that Tyson will return for Kickboxer: Armageddon.

titlecard.png

ShaOW!linDude

Hah! I didn't even catch the Doe family casting. D'oh!

DragonClaws

Not got round to posting my thoughts on the first movie yet, but lets just say I enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing Christopher Lambert's performance as the main villian. Just hope they don't decide to dub Jean Claude Van Damme's character again.

I liked the first movie although not enough to buy it (I rented it from PS Network) and the trailer for Retaliation has definitely got me looking forward to how they will develop the series with better characters and hopefully lots of great fights. I'll certainly be watching it.

I liked the first one too and it was good to see Van Damme transition to the mentor role now that he's gotten older. He's still got that goofy charisma and likability. Here's hoping the sequel will be even better.

Some new images popped up on the official Facebook page for the film.

Kurt Sloane (Alain Moussi)
18622356_1882410258699661_46131826010228

Mongkut (Hafthor Bjornsson)
17155945_1882092602064760_74984703846033

Briggs (Mike Tyson)
18582651_1881891305418223_75141801017232

Durand (Jean-Claude Van Damme)
18664306_1881902755417078_70838272038427

I'm waiting for confirmation but while the page says it will come out in September, I am guessing RLJ Entertainment will be the distributors (since they released Kickboxer: Vengeance), but I'm waiting for confirmation on that.

DragonClaws

Thanks to the Action Elite site for the heads up on this Kickboxer sequel teaser.

15 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Official release date has been set...1/26/2018

Finally a release date, looking forward to catching this on DVD/Blu-Ray when its hits the U.K.

I don't think there's much chance of us getting a theatrical release?, maybe a limited theatrical run at the most.

Archived