The Fatal Flying Guillotines (1977)

Killer Meteor

Just watched this, the print is fantastic, virtually damage free, some SD inserts for the cut scenes of bloodshed but not too many. Has an english dub & mandarin with legible light yellow not always accurate english subs. It's great to see old school flicks like this in such quality even though it's not really one of the better ones of he era.

• Like 7

I get this on March when spaghetti western "duel in the eclipse" is released, shipping costs at d&t mailorder shop are so high have to combine orders...Guy at tvp was angry in his facebook page this was available immediately in torrent sites after release. Can understand his frustration but hopefully guillotines sells enough so there will be more old skool kungfu to come...

• Like 1

On 15.1.2016 at 9:06 PM, saltysam said:

Just watched this, the print is fantastic, virtually damage free, some SD inserts for the cut scenes of bloodshed but not too many. Has an english dub & mandarin with legible light yellow not always accurate english subs. It's great to see old school flicks like this in such quality even though it's not really one of the better ones of he era.

Thanks for those specifics, I'm sold. Expensive for sure, but I believe we all should support people who put so much effort into making these rare films available in HD deluxe editions. Just browsed a bit on the TVP facebook page and they're mentioning that they have the Shaw Brothers FLYING GUILLOTINE and THE KILLER (the Chu Yuan film) in the pipeline, both with Bey Logan commentaries. Can't wait to get my hands on those...

• Like 1

unfortunately TVP have been stopped by Celestial including any english audio/sub options on their Shaw releases.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 1

I have this one coming on its way to me.

Yes its a shame these German Shaw releases have been barred from having English since they will be hurting sales no doubt and I very much doubt anyone stateside would be brave enough to start putting Shaws out again on Blu.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash_kicks said:

Yes its a shame these German Shaw releases have been barred from having English since they will be hurting sales no doubt and I very much doubt anyone stateside would be brave enough to start putting Shaws out again on Blu.

Guess you're right, it doesn't look like any label in the US intends to put out Shaw Brothers BD's, at least not for now. Maybe the reasoning is that the market is still saturated and that not enough customers would be willing to spend money on HD upgrades of films they just bought five or six years ago on DVD. Sure, there's a lotta "yo, where the Shaw BD's?" clamour on fan forums, but people who're running their mouths don't necessarily buy product.

But the imminent release of BOXER FROM SHANTUNG might be a signal that more Shaw BD's are coming out of HK in the future.

• Like 1

Yeah im not in US but im guessing Shaw films have a limited and defined fanbase over there. And with a lot of the films being put out previously in decent DVD releases probably hardly anybody would upgrade to Blu Ray?

I would like them to release some of the rare OOP titles on Blu Ray  like Black Tavern, Jade Raksha and some of the horror and exploitation stuff.

Edited by flash_kicks
  • Like 1

shaolin swords
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:43 PM, lungfei said:

I JUST PLACED MY ORDER FROM DIABOLIKDVD FOR THE FATAL FLYING GUILLOTINE SET AND SINCE I LIVE IN USA THIS IS A GOOD FIND :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaolin swords said:

I JUST PLACED MY ORDER FROM DIABOLIKDVD FOR THE FATAL FLYING GUILLOTINE SET AND SINCE I LIVE IN USA THIS IS A GOOD FIND :) 

Do they accept paypal ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer and the link, but I don't understand German...And I don't plan to buy for now, I just wanted to know if they accept paypal because it's not mentioned on their site.

Thanks for the informations, however.

• Like 1

shaolin swords

just got the 3 disc set of the fatal flying guillotine did not watch the movie yet but the whole set the artwork and the way every thing was made is just looking amazing in my opinion

• Like 1

Watched this for the first time in more than a decade. Despite the ramshackle plot, the fighting is a lot of fun. This is certainly a highlight in the careers of Carter Wong, Chen Sing, and fight choreographer Chan Siu-Pang. I'd venture to say that in the case of the latter, it certainly beats his collaborations with Joseph Kuo. There are a lot of weapons used in this film besides the titular device: hard whip, rope dart, sabers, straight swords, spears, and double daggers. I like the motorized edition of the flying guillotine, plus watching Chen Sing run while using it to increase the range.

The strange thing about the movie is the ending, which hints at a sequel that was never made. That's really odd for a 70s kung fu movie.

• Like 3