The Demon of Mount OE (1960)

MagicDragon

This Japanese fantasy film stars Shintaro Katsu Raizo Ichikawa, and some other chambara film regulars. This early color effort from Daiei studios looks really good and colorful as the studio must have put  a really big budget into it.  Big enough to afford big names actors, locations, special effects, and a very Akira Ifukube like-score.  Visually speaking,   this is an outstanding effort from Daiei productions. Storywise, it concerns  a supernatural being with the ability  to change it's shape. It is hunted down by a team of Samurai warriors who try to stop it:

The Demon of Mount OE

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This movie has become one of my favorites, one of the best I've seen in the last decade, I can sit and watch that opening scene over and over again, would of maybe liked to see the ending go somewhere else but still for 1960 this is one solid fantasy Samurai epic. The practical effects were great for the time and a lot of fun, and just an all-star cast.

Been wanting @KUNG FU BOB's opinion on this one for a while :wink I know, I know your "to be watched" pile is probably bigger than anyones :tongueout

• Administrator

You are correct Tosh, I still haven't watched it yet. But based on MagicDragon's description it sounds like THE THING meets SEVEN SAMURAI! :nerd

Archived