Fearless Young Boxer (aka Method Man aka Avenging Boxer) (1979)

Morgoth Bauglir

Morgoth Bauglir

Revisited this for the umphteen time.  How do the fights STILL get better every time I watch it?  The story is pretty bad.  Casanova Wong plays a killer. The first 50 minutes are a chore to get through and I feel like turning off the TV every time Lee Kwan appears.  The movie starts out ok with Casa Wong vs Lung Fei but the only real highlight during the first half is the training scenes.  Our lead actor Peter Chang does some training with bricks that you have to see to believe.  Finally in the second half we start getting fight after fight and it's a martial arts explosion. 

First is a warm up fight between Peter Chang and the villain Casa where they test eachother's skills.

Next is Casa vs funny man Chan Wai Lau.  But there's nothing funny about this fight. .  Casa does some of the most vicious kicks I've seen from him and Chan Wai Lau is fast and fierce using a pipe as a weapon. 

Next is one of the more unique fights that I've come across.  A character named Stumpy (Phillip So) has a valuable item in his possession, and Casa wants it from him.  What's unique here is that it isn't really a fight, it's a thrilling and funny chase scene, with a little bit of fighting. "You can't catch me, cause my name's Stumpy!" 

Chia Kai vs Wong Wing Sang- talk about a dream matchup.  This is pretty much as good as it gets.  A few of the highlights are the secret finger technique, Chia Kai doing a cartwheel off a wall onto a wobbly table and Wong Wing Sang throwing a real knife at Chia Kai and Kai barely dodging it. 

Chia Kai vs Casa- shapes man vs superkicker.  Another dream matchup that delivers the goods. 

Peter Chang and Hwa Ling vs Casa- I have to give credit to the filmmakers here for putting together a final fight that tries to top all other final fights.  It's 11 minutes of nonstop action and some of the highest quality choreography I've ever seen. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A great film,when put in a film with decent production values and fight choreographers ca as fa is one of the best

I love the fact that you've looked at this film so carefully ! This, to me, is the mark  of a real MA fan. I intend to give this film a better look with your notes in mind. Thanks.:monk_toasting:

Morgoth Bauglir

I love the fact that you've looked at this film so carefully ! This, to me, is the mark  of a real MA fan. I intend to give this film a better look with your notes in mind. Thanks.:monk_toasting:

I didn't even realize I came off that way.  Good to know!  I've seen the movie so many times I had to leave some random thoughts on it.  I love Casanova Wong and I think this is his best performance.  

Archived