The Wild Bunch Re-Make

DragonClaws

There have been rumors about remaking the classic western The Wild Bunch for years now. It appears that Warner Brothers now actually plan to up-date the Sam Peckinpah film. The task of writing and directing the the new film has been given to Jonathan Jakubowicz. The story will be set in modern day Mexico and based around the drug cartels.

Do we really need a re-make of this great late 60's western?.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnnie To already remade the movie as Exiled so yeah, I agree.

Extreme Prejudice (1987) was a great homage to the The Wild Bunch directed by Walter Hill.

I'll have to see Exiled one day, I didn't know Johnnie To made his own version of the film.

masterofoneinchpunch

Extreme Prejudice (1987) was a great homage to the The Wild Bunch directed by Walter Hill.

I'll have to see Exiled one day, I didn't know Johnnie To made his own version of the film.

Both Exiled and The Wild Bunch are different enough that you might not necessarily think of one or the other (except for a few points I cannot mention because the they are spoilers) when watching but To (like John Woo) was definitely influenced by Peckinpah.  He's a quote I found interesting on Peckinpah from To:

"Sam Peckinpah is a romantic, particularly in the nature of violence -- a romance found in the extremities of human nature.  You see this in the rape scene in Straw Dogs.  He's not a great storyteller but a great romanticist." -- Johnnie To Interview with Stephen Teo

Funny enough I just bought Extreme Prejudice a few weeks ago.  I plan on watching it soon.

Both Exiled and The Wild Bunch are different enough that you might not necessarily think of one or the other (except for a few points I cannot mention because the they are spoilers) when watching but To (like John Woo) was definitely influenced by Peckinpah.  He's a quote I found interesting on Peckinpah from To:

"Sam Peckinpah is a romantic, particularly in the nature of violence -- a romance found in the extremities of human nature.  You see this in the rape scene in Straw Dogs.  He's not a great storyteller but a great romanticist." -- Johnnie To Interview with Stephen Teo

Funny enough I just bought Extreme Prejudice a few weeks ago.  I plan on watching it soon.

Thanks for that Master, Extreme Prejudice is a superb one of my all time favorite action films. Modern film makers could learn a lot by watching that film.

Peckinpah served in the military and he was exposed to a lot of brutalities. He served in the Marine corps and served in China. Him and his platoon were given the job of disarming the Japanese soldiers there. He applied for discharge in Peking so he could marry a local woman but the Army would not let him.

So there is a " The wild bunch " different from the TVB series ?

Who are the actors ? Does it tell a similar story ?

masterofoneinchpunch

So there is a " The wild bunch " different from the TVB series ?

Who are the actors ? Does it tell a similar story ?

I will answer this if you are being serious and not facetious.  But first tell about the TVB series. I am sure most are familiar with the movie over that series.

Of course, I'm not facetious ! The only Wild bunch I was aware of until now was the TVB one. I haven't watched it as yet, but here's what I found on a site :

TVB's classic 1980s period drama The Wild Bunch sees Five Tigers stars Felix Wong and Ken Tong facing off as rival assassins in ancient China. Set in the chaotic waning years of the Tang Dynasty, the drama revolves around a secretive assassin organization under the wings of a ruthless warlord. Political and personal ambitions clash as brotherhood is put to the test and court conspiracies weave dangerous fates for all the players caught in the unpredictable game. The Wild Bunch co-stars ancient beauty Idy Chan, action star Austin Wai, Chow Sau Lan, and veterans Paul Chun and Lau Siu Ming.

In the chaotic aftermath of the Tang Dynasty, China falls into a warlord era with Lee Hak Yung (Paul Chun) and Chu Wan (Lau Siu Ming) contending for the empire. Using the beauty of his daughter Wan Lo (Idy Chan) as bait, Lee attracts to his services thirteen top swordsmen of different martial arts sects, dubbed the "Thirteen Protectors". As the top swordsman of the organization, Chun Hau (Felix Wong) becomes Lee's most trusted assassin and wins Wan Lo's love. Chun Hau doesn't care for the fame and fortune Lee has to offer, his sole goal being to kill Chu Wan and avenge the death of his father. Ambitious fellow Protector Kwan Lei (Ken Tong), however, has significantly greater designs in mind, and he's determined to eliminate Chun Hau whom he sees as a threat to his position.

Of course, I guess that there is no Tang Dynasty in the other one, but maybe there are some similar points in the story...

masterofoneinchpunch

Of course, I'm not facetious ! The only Wild bunch I was aware of until now was the TVB one. I haven't watched it as yet, but here's what I found on a site :

I do not see much in common, though it is interesting the Johnnie To who worked on that series is a fan of the 1969 movie so there could be some influence there.  Actually since I'm a To fan I could see myself getting that series.

One reason I was incredulous is while the TV series Wild Bunch has less than five votes on IMDB, the Peckinpah movie has about 60000. The movie itself is one of the most famous westerns ever made.  It is in IMDB's top 50 voted westerns.  It is in Roger Ebert's Great Movie list (if you are interested check out this review for plot and some background to the movie).  It is on many western top lists and many cinematic canon lists and influential to countless directors including both Johnnie To and John Woo (who also says it is one of his favorite films.)  If I was to do a list of ten must-watch westerns this would be on it.

Thank you very much for the informations.

Sigh !! Another movie to add to my looooonnnnng " tobuy/to watch " list !! 24h per day aren't enough for me !!

masterofoneinchpunch

Thank you very much for the informations.

Sigh !! Another movie to add to my looooonnnnng " tobuy/to watch " list !! 24h per day aren't enough for me !!

One of the interesting aspects of cinema is that the more I learn, the more I learn I need to learn :D.  So often people overstate "must watches" in cinema or "must reads" in literature, but the original film of this thread is one of the westerns that probably should be watched by most serious cinephiles -- even if to see the influence it had on To and Woo (for example Woo's slow motion scenes to me seem like a combination of Chang Cheh and Peckinpah.)

But yeah never enough time in the day.  One of the reasons I'm not too fond of remakes :).  Actually one of the reasons I tend to eschew a lot of TV (since I concentrate on cinema.)

Archived