The Killer (2024) - John Woo Remake of his Classic

DiP

Producer Charles Roven mentioned in an interview posted today that there was only 10-18 days left of shooting before the SAG strikes:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/oppenheimer-charles-roven-christopher-nolan-1235560144/

"I was also shooting a wonderful movie in Paris. John Woo is remaking his own movie, The Killer, which was one of his seminal Hong Kong movies that he made in 1989. So we had to shut that down because we lost all of our SAG actors, and of course, we honored that. We’ve got somewhere between 10 and 18 days left, so that was obviously very disappointing."

Can't believe this has actually been made.

Let's see.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I didn't bother with Silent Night as I was told it stank.

Also, Woo looks really fucking tiny in that photo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PandaPawPaw

1231545_The-Killer.jpg

Vs

2510-d010-00101r-crop-1718819721832.jpg?

I bet WOO's always running into boobs...............

1.png.cb56da339476d41f6a659e4cd971a107.png

Why remake a classic. Why WOO? WHY!?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

To capitalize on the $$$$$$$.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, thekfc said:

To capitalize on the $$$$$$$.

Streaming content; that's all. And on Peacock of all places!

Who the f*ck would watch a remake of a HK movie from the 80's in theaters nowadays!?

Same goes for the supposedly happening 'Spaceballs' sequel. Again who the f*ck is this for? Who remembers a spoof movie from the 80's!?

I'm so sick and tired of seeing old properties getting resurrected just to become some sort of "drive by" playing in the back content while fiddling on your phone kind of shit. Fuck me!

2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

1231545_The-Killer.jpg

Vs

2510-d010-00101r-crop-1718819721832.jpg?

I bet WOO's always running into boobs...............

1.png.cb56da339476d41f6a659e4cd971a107.png

Excuse me while I relieve myself...

throw up team america GIF

• Like 4

PandaPawPaw
3 hours ago, laagi said:

Who the f*ck would watch a remake of a HK movie from the 80's in theaters nowadays!?

What!? I thought this would of been released in cinemas (just on the Woo name alone) but straight to the Cock?

Ah well the OG is always available so no probs.

tumblr_ma2l2yK6WW1qedb29o1_r1_500.gif

Oh man I need to rewatch it! Been a while!

• Like 3

starschwar

This new film telling of The Killer stars The Fast Saga’s Nathalie Emmanuel as Zee, a mysterious and infamous assassin known, and feared, in the Parisian underworld as the Queen of the Dead.

Well, that's different.  Chow's character had a reputation among his clients for his talents, but had no such Baba Yaga style legend around him.

But when, during an assignment from her shadowy mentor and handler Finn (Sam Worthington), Zee refuses to kill a blinded young woman, Jenn (Diana Silvers), in a Paris nightclub, the decision will disintegrate Zee’s alliances, attract the attention of a savvy police investigator Sy (Omar Sy), and plunge her into a sinister criminal conspiracy that will set her on a collision course with her own past

her dilemma in this movie is that she's being asked to kill somebody who she doesn't believe deserves it. And for some reason she can't believe that they deserve to be killed …

So... the Sally Yeh equivalent here is already blind from the start?  It isn't caused by The Killer's actions?  There's no guilt, no sense of obligation to atone?  Am I reading that right?

(Sy) starts following her too, and he's kind of trying to prove that she's this kind of infamous assassin, it's almost like an urban myth, and he's almost chasing her

"He starts following her, he's almost chasing her."  What?  What is the distinction?

I've seen a lot of John's movies. I'm a massive fan of Face/Off. I think it's one of my favorites of his, and Mission: Impossible 2 is obviously fantastic.

Is it?  I mean, I'm one of few that will say it's better than the first one, but even I am given pause by this assessment.

I really want to give this thing a fair chance.  I am glad it isn't going to be an exact retread of the original, because that would be pointless.  But other than "cop pursues assassin" and "blind bystander" I feel that this could very easily have been a completely original work and been better for it.

Also, straight to Peacock?  How embarrassing.  I know theaters have been going through tough times but... I think Peacock just kind of exists for projects that all the good streamers turned down.  HBO said no?  Starz?  Hulu?  I got suckered into doing a month for The Continental.  Unless I hear glowing "on par with the original" reviews from you folks, I'm not going to bother. 

• Like 2

On 6/21/2024 at 10:10 AM, laagi said:

Like I said earlier it is all about the $$$$$$$.

Peacock is owned by Comcast who also owns Universal Studios. Universal could have an a theatrical run but choose to do Peacock instead. 

Peacock needs contents in order to run with the big boys streamers (Netflix, Disney, etc,), and what bigger name to have than John Woo remaking one of his biggest & well known HK movie, there is an audience for it (maybe not you) and it will add subscribers to Peacock, that is good marketing strategy.

On 6/21/2024 at 10:10 AM, laagi said:

Same goes for the supposedly happening 'Spaceballs' sequel. Again who the f*ck is this for? Who remembers a spoof movie from the 80's!?

See above....This time it is Amazon MGM Studios.

On 6/21/2024 at 1:44 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

What!? I thought this would of been released in cinemas (just on the Woo name alone) but straight to the Cock?

See above.

Peacock has the Premier League, Olympics, Golf, NASCAR, NFL games, College Basketball, Wrestling (they losing WWE Raw to Netflix but will getting Smackdown) so I would not call them the Cock.

There is a "streaming war" going on for contents thus a lot of contents being made or will be make will be going straight to streaming.

There is big money being spend & being made, example with WWE alone, Netflix paying $5B (10 years) for Raw, CW paying $20-$25M a year for NXT, USA Network (owns by Comcast, Peacock parent company) paying $1.5B (5years) for Smackdown. It's about getting the subscribers aka $$$.

12 hours ago, thekfc said:

Like I said earlier it is all about the $$$$$$$.

Peacock is owned by Comcast who also owns Universal Studios. Universal could have an a theatrical run but choose to do Peacock instead. 

Peacock needs contents in order to run with the big boys streamers (Netflix, Disney, etc,), and what bigger name to have than John Woo remaking one of his biggest & well known HK movie, there is an audience for it (maybe not you) and it will add subscribers to Peacock, that is good marketing strategy.

See above....This time it is Amazon MGM Studios.

See above.

Peacock has the Premier League, Olympics, Golf, NASCAR, NFL games, College Basketball, Wrestling (they losing WWE Raw to Netflix but will getting Smackdown) so I would not call them the Cock.

There is a "streaming war" going on for contents thus a lot of contents being made or will be make will be going straight to streaming.

There is big money being spend & being made, example with WWE alone, Netflix paying $5B (10 years) for Raw, CW paying $20-$25M a year for NXT, USA Network (owns by Comcast, Peacock parent company) paying $1.5B (5years) for Smackdown. It's about getting the subscribers aka $$$.

giphy.webp

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

All the slow-mow in the world won't save this movie! The trailer looks a$$ and I'm glad this will arrive on peacock as to never be mentioned again.

At least we get a Trinity cameo so I guess that's a selling point...

196daa8402b1caf30911b6cdbb22f43f6e-stern

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Wait did she quote Arnie but backwards?

49536f2a-403f-4fb3-8648-f6e1f399cd74_tex

The music on that trailer was doing my head in and I kept waiting for Nathalie Emmanuel to give us a bit of

c0f587fe-723d-4e8f-8664-e315b2050db7_tex

This'll definitely find a bunch of fans but it's far to flashy and try hard for me. Plus the main two are not a patch on Fat/Lee.

• Haha 1

Drunken Monk

I'm on the fence. While I'm not one hundred percent convinced, I'm more than happy to ive it a chance. The action looks plentiful, even if it isn't reminiscent of Woo's best stuff (what is?) and, all in all, it looks pretty cool. I'll go in with low expectations and I'm sure I'll come out enjoying it.

Gosh, I hope most of the action won't be a rehash of Manhunt. Some stuff looks decent while others so cringy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, DiP said:

Gosh, I hope most of the action won't be a rehash of Manhunt. Some stuff looks decent while others so cringy.

What's with the general hate for 'Manhunt' here lol. I for one remember quite liking it actually.

Edited by laagi

starschwar

I'm not sure if I can articulate my feelings.  Somehow this looks both better and worse than what I was expecting?  All I know is, that trailer most certainly does not hit me the same way as this did back in the day. 

1 hour ago, laagi said:

What's with the general hat for 'Manhunt' here lol. I for one remember quite liking it actually.

I hated the flashy self-parody action style Woo went for, and found the movie itself boring.

I couldn't help but laugh at how bad this just looks!? And also slow-mow is just so dated anymore.

• Haha 2

Drunken Monk
22 hours ago, laagi said:

I couldn't help but laugh at how bad this just looks!? And also slow-mow is just so dated anymore.

Call me crazy but I didn't mind this clip! Yes, it's cheesy. Pure cheese. But I love the environmental interaction (paper going everywhere, non-CGI bullet holes) and the gun play isn't all that shabby. The slow motion can go and fuck itself, but John Woo has always used slow motion. This could bge the closest we've had to his older stuff in a while.