The Killer (2024) - John Woo Remake of his Classic

DiP

I'm sorry you shouldn't even touch this movie! This is a Classic!

But on another note South Korea's Jung Woo-sung is one of my favorite Korean Actors so I will be interested in seeing what he brings to the table with this movie.

This belongs in the movie remake post, exactly what we all talk about all the time!

Im going to say this only once. No more remakes of Hard Bolied, Once a Thief, Better Tommrow and Fullcontact. They were classics and dont need to be ruined badly by making it worst with crappy actors who will never truly capture what John Woo and Chow Yun Fat did or this case Ringo Lan since he directed Fullcontact.

AndyWayne84 - I have to agree with you. I especially don't understand why would you remake The Killer in 3D?

Exactly it's not like it will make the remake even better than the original verison with Chow Yun Fat, Danny Lee, and Sally Yeh. The original is a masterpiece it should never be remade unless that director is going to stay true to the original not make a 3d verison turnning a classic into a joke i mean in the remake of A Better Tommrow i let slide because the director did his best to capture the spirit of the original by not making a 3d verison of the flick it won't make the flims better just make them somewhat worst.

Remakes, remakes, that's there is now why are they remaking The Killer i thought that nonsense was over with good god the original was a masterpiece why must they rape it with 3D I'm sorry i dont find the news very good i'm not looking foward to it.

The remake has been green-lit. 3D might be out of the question and both Jung Woo-Sung and Chow Yun-Fat won't be involved with the project. Instead, the film will be helmed by John H. Lee (A Moment to Remember). Sarah Yan Li will co-star while casting for the lead roles is ongoing.

The story will be set in Los Angeles, with shooting starting in Toronto later this year. Bruno Wu's Seven Stars Film Studios will provide the financing. John Woo and Terence Chang will produce the film, and Josh Campbell will handle writing duties.

Synopsis: Set in present day Los Angeles, Jef, a highly skilled contract killer falls in love with the only living witness to his latest job, a female singer (Sarah Yan Li) who was blinded during the hit. Meanwhile, Detective Vaughn, the cop assigned to investigate Jef's hit, has a chance to save his reputation when he correctly, and fatefully, suspects Jef to be the killer, but after witnessing Jef display an act of heroism, Vaughn's perceptions of right and wrong begin to change.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/05/remake-of-john-woos-the-killer-gets-financing.php

TibetanWhiteCrane

Oh goodie.... set in LA shot in Toronto.... aah yes, the sun bleached sidewalks and swaying palm trees of CANADA!!!!!

It's gonna be a piece of rectal residue....

I'm disappointed by the remake. What the Hell was wrong with the original? Are we going to remake "Hard boiled" too? Honestly, people really need to put their heads together and come up with something original.

Laura

One Armed Boxer
John Travolta might consider taking up one of the lead roles, presumably Danny Lee's role.

Sounds like it's heading into 'Face/Off 2' territory....hope this never comes to fruition.

The article isn't particularly well researched either, it mentions that Woo & Travolta worked together once before on 'Face/Off', but neglects to mention 'Broken Arrow'.

Travolta is too old for this character, he's damn near 60 isn't he? It works better for actors in their 30's which was the age of Chow and Lee at the time. I've never thought he was that good of an actor and I felt Cage actually was more credible in Face Off than he was. His wig reminds me of Butch Patrick from "The Munsters."

I don't want to see a Face Off II in 3D. I'm disappointed really, I expect Hollywood to be unoriginal and clueless. I expected more from John Woo than to be chasing dollars and Hollywood fame with tired remakes that can't match the original.

Laura

Just got this and figured some of you guys might want to take a look-see.

(Note: pg 40 is missing).

Enjoy.

I’m actually surprised they never moved forward with the remake. Especially in this day and age where they reboot/remake movies that are less than a year old, from the same country! It's funny, I never knew Walter Hill was ever attached.

Wasn't Woo in talks to direct at one point?

Pg. 40 must be a saw-in-the-head scene. =D

John Woo – the legendary Hong Kong action director behind A Better TomorrowBullet in the Head and Hard Boiled – is aiming to direct an English-language remake of his 1989 film, The Killer. “I still have a couple of projects developing in Hollywood, so after Manhunt, I probably will go back to Hollywood to make another action thriller. I’m going to make The Killer in an American version.”