Michael Jai White

SamSeed

http://nukethefridge.com/2015/05/04/skin-trade-exclusive-michael-jai-white-on-fighting-tony-jaa-blood-and-bone-2-never-back-down-3/

Just came accross this interview, wheein Michael Jai White outlines a few thigs. Firstly, he's leaving in a few weeks to direct Never Back Down 3, there are scripts for Blood and Bone 2 and Black Dynamite 2, and he hopes to have them all off the ground soon!

• Like 2

OMG!!!! He's finally doing NBD3...I hope Chris Hauty wrote this one since he did wrote the other two films of the series. And to have [Tony and Jeeja] make appearances...awesome!

• Like 1

cbfa10468a0c392f0bcd5dcb7077f226.jpg

Michael Jai White is definitely a fan favorite amongst martial arts action stars but he has also proven himself to be a really good dramatic actor as well. 

Born on November 10, 1967 in Brooklyn, New York. At the age of seven, Michael began martial arts by training in the art of Shotokan Karate. However, he would soon find his foundation in the hard-hitting style of Kyokushin Karate-Do, the art founded by the Korean-born Mas Oyama. His teacher was Shigeru Oyama and at the age of 14, received his first black belt. He currently holds black belts in seven different forms of martial arts: 

• Kyokushin Karate-Do
  • Shotokan Karate
  • Tae Kwon Do
  • Okinawa Kobudo
  • Goju Ryu Karate
  • Tang Soo Do
  • Wushu

Before he began his acting career, Michael was a teacher. However, in 1988, he answered an audition call and got a role in New York City's Troma Entertainment's The Toxic Avenger Part II. Director Lloyd Kaufman was impressed with Michael's skills and that of a fellow bit actor, Soke Kariim Ratcliff, that he hired them not only as actors, but the film's action directors of the American portion (Hitoshi Genma took over as action director for the Japanese portion of the film). When the final cut was a whopping four hours, Kaufman made two films, Part II and The Toxic Avenger Part III: The Last Temptation of Toxie. Michael appeared in both films.

After a walk-on role in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze, Michael worked on television for the next few years, including a somewhat memorable role as a military officer who busts Zack Morris and AC Slater for faking a West Point interview on an episode of Saved by the Bell. However, in 1995, White won the role of ex-boxing champion Mike Tyson in a HBO biopic about the boxer's rise in the ring and fall in his personal life. He would also appear in the martial arts film Ballistic, where he has two main fight scenes, one against kickboxer Georges Bejue and his final fight against actor/model/martial artist Joel Beeson (in his only film role). 

In 1997, White got his first breakout role. New Line Cinema cast White as the tragic Al Simmons in the live action adaptation of Todd McFarlane's Spawn. White underwent loads of make-up where after his character's apparent death, looks completely unrecognizable as he is chosen to lead Hell's army only to use his powers for the sake of good. From there, White would work in both action and non-action roles. Some of his known action roles would be that of S.E.T.H. in Universal Soldier: The Return against Jean-Claude Van Damme and Exit Wounds with Steven Seagal.

He made his Hong Kong film debut in Silver Hawk pitting him against Michelle Yeoh. Two years later, White was chosen to replace the unavailable Ving Rhames as George "Iceman" Chambers in the sequel to Undisputed, which would go on to be the breakout film for co-star Scott Adkins, who would play the iconic Russian powerhouse Yuri Boyka. After a brief appearance in The Dark Knight (the second installment of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy), White hones his acting skills when he was cast as the somewhat whipped yet pent up angry Marcus in Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married? He would later appear in the sequel and the spin-off series For Better or Worse in the same role.

In 2009, Michael appeared in two well known films to fans: Blood and Bone, where he played Isaiah Bone, an ex-con who enters a tournament as a promise for a friend; and the 70's spoof satire Black Dynamite.  In 2011, White made his directorial debut in the straight-to-video MMA film Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown and starred as Case Walker, a former MMA champ and ex-con who takes in four prospects for an upcoming tournament. In 2015, White shot the third installment, which will mark the international debut of Thai action star Jeeja Yanin and have a cameo by Tony Jaa.

There's not enough that can be said about Michael Jai White. He's truly a versatile actor who also is a fan favorite with his impeccable martial arts skills. He can pretty much make any role his own. 

Michael Jai White Official Facebook

• Like 5

Absolutely love Michael Jai White. I think he is a highly underrated martial arts star and I thought he was awesome in BLOOD AND BONE. My favorite film of his is BLACK DYNAMITE - he gave a great performance and it's a true classic spoofI wish his scene had not been cut from KILL BILL VOL 2. I also liked EXIT WOUNDS a lot, but always thought the fight scene (or lack thereof) between Michael and Seagal was extremely disappointing. It could have been a great finale between the two, but the opportunity was wasted.

• Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Michael Jai White should have been a superstar with Spawn, he was one of the nicest actors I ever interviewed and really is a terrific martial artist to boot.  I'm glad to see him getting some degree of success now. Black Dynamite is my most favorite grindhouse spoof, and too, my favorite role of his.  Between BD and The Hangover I hadn't laughed so hard in the movies in decades. I enjoy actors who can clearly make fun of themselves and the films they love. 

Thanks for the updates SamSeed, Albert, I am curious if the Black Dynamite team will make good on their threat of doing something like Blazing Saddles. Goodness I can only imagine how OTT funny Bullhorn and Honey Bee would be in something like that. 

• Like 3

cbfa10468a0c392f0bcd5dcb7077f226.jpg

Michael Jai White is definitely a fan site amongst martial arts stars but he has also proven himself to be a really good dramatic actor as well. 

Born on November 10, 1967 in Brooklyn, New York. At the age of seven, Michael began martial arts by training in the art of Shotokan Karate. However, he would soon find his foundation in the hard-hitting style of Kyokushin Karate-Do, the art founded by the Korean-born Mas Oyama.His teacher was Shigeru Oyama and at the age of 14, received his first black belt. He currently holds black belts in seven different forms of martial arts: 

• Kyokushin Karate-Do
  • Shotokan Karate
  • Tae Kwon Do
  • Okinawa Kobudo
  • Goju Ryu Karate
  • Tang Soo Do
  • Wushu

Before he began his acting career, Michael was a teacher. However, in 1988, he answered an audition call and got a role in New York City's Troma Entertainment's The Toxic Avenger Part II. Director Lloyd Kaufman was impressed with Michael's skills and that of a fellow bit actor, Soke Kariim Ratcliff, that he hired them not only as actors, but the film's action directors of the American portion (Hitoshi Genma took over as action director for the Japanese portion of the film). When the final cut was a whopping four hours, Kaufman made two films, Part II and The Toxic Avenger Part III: The Last Temptation of Toxie. Michael appeared in both films.

After a walk-on role in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze, Michael worked on television for the next few years, including a somewhat memorable role as a military officer who busts Zack Morris and AC Slater for faking a West Point interview on an episode of Saved by the Bell. However, in 1995, White won the role of ex-boxing champion Mike Tyson in a HBO biopic about the boxer's rise in the ring and fall in his personal life. He would also appear in the martial arts film Ballistic, where he has two main fight scenes, one against kickboxer Georges Bejue and his final fight against actor/model/martial artist Joel Beeson (in his only film role). 

In 1997, White got his first breakout role. New Line Cinema cast White as the tragic Al Simmons in the live action adaptation of Todd McFarlane's Spawn. White underwent loads of make-up where after his character's apparent death, looks completely unrecognizable as he is chosen to lead Hell's army only to use his powers for the sake of good. From there, White would work in both action and non-action roles. Some of his known action roles would be that of S.E.T.H. in Universal Soldier: The Return against Jean-Claude Van Damme and Exit Wounds with Steven Seagal.

He made his Hong Kong film debut in Silver Hawk pitting him against Michelle Yeoh. Two years later, White was chosen to replace the unavailable Ving Rhames as George "Iceman" Chambers in the sequel to Undisputed, which would go on to be the breakout film for co-star Scott Adkins, who would play the iconic Russian powerhouse Yuri Boyka. After a brief appearance in The Dark Knight (the second installment of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy), White hones his acting skills when he was cast as the somewhat whipped yet pent up angry Marcus in Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married? He would later appear in the sequel and the spin-off series For Better or Worse in the same role.

In 2009, Michael appeared in two well known films to fans: Blood and Bone, where he played Isaiah Bone, an ex-con who enters a tournament as a promise for a friend; and the 70's spoof satire Black Dynamite.  In 2011, White made his directorial debut in the straight-to-video MMA film Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown and starred as Case Walker, a former MMA champ and ex-con who takes in four prospects for an upcoming tournament. In 2015, White shot the third installment, which will mark the international debut of Thai action star Jeeja Yanin and have a cameo by Tony Jaa.

There's not enough that can be said about Michael Jai White. He's truly a versatile actor who also is a fan favorite with his impeccable martial arts skills. He can pretty much make any role his own. 

Michael Jai White Official Facebook

I was gonna do a thread on Big M.J.W. myself but since you did the honour and a good job Al,there's no further need.However,let me capitalize and highlight what you already mentioned...

In 1995 our beloved Michael Jai White did a SUPERB portryal of Mike Tyson in the HBO movie biopic before he did any other noteworthy roles and was when he really started to stretch his acting chops as well as his considerable muscles.To those of you who haven't seen it...I suggest that you do.He did Mike Tyson more justice in that respective role than ANY OTHER male actor ever could with a killer combination of authentic & formidable fighting prowess,imposing screen prescence,and natural charisma.

Michael-Jai-White-&-Paul-Winfield-in-Tyson-The-True-Story-Premium-Photograph-and-Poster-1015835__71841.1432425778.220.290.jpeg

l.jpeg

Edited by kokuryuha
  • Like 3

I love Michael Jai White. I was skeptical of Undefeated 2 when I found out he was going to play a boxer (MJW sans his trademark aerial kicks? Heaven forbid!) but liked that movie quite a lot. He did some very solid work in Silver Hawk and unlike the reviewer of Universal Soldier: The Return at the old Kung Fu Cinema boards, I thought his duel with Jean-Claude Van Damme made for one of JCVD's best fights.

• Like 3

Michael also had two stellar fights in the 1995 B-movie Ballistic aka Fist of Justice. The first was against kickboxer Georges Bejue then he fights and ultimately loses to martial artist/male model Joel Beeson (in his only martial arts action film), who plays the main character's boyfriend.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Click on the link below, to go straight to the S.W.A.T Under Siege thread, where I've posted a brief fight scene from the new movie, just released by Sony.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Michael Jai White with Scott Adkins and a fan?, on the set of Universal Soldier: A New Dimension

stovalluniversalsoldier.jpg

The guy in the middle with Michael and Scott is actually Larnell Stovall, Undisputed III's and Kickboxer: Vengeance's fight choreographer. :D Stovall choreographed the fights in Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
19 hours ago, AlbertV said:

The guy in the middle with Michael and Scott is actually Larnell Stovall, Undisputed III's and Kickboxer: Vengeance's fight choreographer. :D Stovall choreographed the fights in Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning.

Thanks for answering my question @AlbertV, I can now put a face to the name.

• Like 1

When legends collide.

U.K fans can meen the Shaw Brothers screen icon Lu Feng in London next year.

More here, Link-

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

On 17/10/2017 at 3:16 AM, mpm74 said:

Jai White's COPS AND ROBBERS is being released by Lionsgate in December.

Oohh...Tom Berenger is alive and making a paycheck? Alongside Jai White? Excellent!

• Like 1