If you were given the opportunity to train with a living martial arts legend,who would it be?

kokuryuha

I have always wanted to train alongside a legendary figure in the martal arts world whether living or dead but let's live in the now instead of past tense regarding the dearly departed.Who would you choose and why?

If I could have the opportunity to train with a living legend of the martial arts today,without  a doubt that person would be Benny"The Jet"Urquidez.

This is a Man/Fighter/Teacher in every sense and epitomizes the word:"Warrior "

Not only is he an internationally renowned champion,he is a natural when it comes to fighting and has it down to a science.He is tried and proven like the finest blade ever forged in the hottest flame and can lay claim to scrapping with the best and beating most of them in his prime.

A profound master in several martial disciplines and as a result created his own method as well called the "Ukidokan" system which takes the best from all his previous styles and merges them into one.

He has earned the respect of his fellow contemporaries and has carved a niche all his own in the martial world that NOBODY can refute.Not to mention he is an historian and martial arts teacher who has taught celebrities and non celebrities to a great effect that has only solidified his well deserved reputation.

And he gave Jacky Chan one of his best onscreen fights to boot...?

Jackie-Chan-vs.-Benny-The-Jet-Urquidez.jpeg

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Well my first choice would be Lau Kar Leung, but I would be happy to learn from Miss Cynthia Rothrock. Her familiarity with several systems and various weapons, makes for an easy choice.

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 2

I assume this may be lame to many of you, but Ray Mancini.

If I was striving to be an on screen martial artist? Donnie Yen, or Sammo Hung.

• Like 1

I assume this may be lame to many of you, but Ray Mancini.

If I was striving to be an on screen martial artist? Donnie Yen, or Sammo Hung.

Brother Paimei,There is nothing lame about what you wrote and anyone that thinks so,they can go the harshest part of hell.In fact...If you're not already aware then let me be the first to tell you that Boxing,whether western or chinese counts as a martial art.Anyone who knows about fighting and the styles that come with it can confirm with what I just said.

So,it's Benny Urquidez for me,Cynthia Rothrock for Szu Yi,And Ray Mancini for you.?

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer

Gary Wasniewski without a doubt, the sense of power and energy he conveys in the 'Thunderkick' movies is just off the scale.:tongueout

• Like 3

Morgoth Bauglir

Gary Wasniewski without a doubt, the sense of power and energy he conveys in the 'Thunderkick' movies is just off the scale.:tongueout

I've been meaning to see Thunderkick but I can't find it on DVD.  The movie poster is intense.  Gary Wasniewski looks like the real deal for sure. 

My pick is Chang Shan of course.  But since that's too obvious I'll go with Glory kickboxer Raymond Daniels.  He starts every fight with spinning kicks and doesn't stop until the fight is over.  His kicks are some of the best I've ever seen and he's a good boxer too.  If I did martial arts I would do it just to look cool, so I'm training with Raymond Daniels. 

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir
  • Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

Seeing as I had the great privilege to go to five Joe Lewis seminars, I must pick Bruce.

Can you elaborate more on those seminars?  I would be interested in hearing more on that.

• Like 2

Can you elaborate more on those seminars?  I would be interested in hearing more on that.

Sure. They were back in the middle 1980's. All were on the east coast: Conn., Mass., and Penn. Lewis was tremendous. He was in his middle 40's then, but, man, you'd never have known it. Rock solid physique, and effing dangerous technique. His forte was a simple stop-hit with a lead punch, or lead side kick. About the seminars: he'd intro a basic idea, say, matching reverse punch versus a side kick, and let one guy lead and the other try to counter - the entire concept he was on about was using the five angles of attack and the three defensive footwork patterns. All kinds of partner drills this way. If you've seen his videos, the seminars were very similar. He was very personable,and would always take time to answer questions while walking around checking what everybody was doing. Joe Lewis was the only person I've ever seen who had both high-level physical ability and absolute strategy behind it. Bill Wallace, on the other hand, was more of an intuitive fighter, he could do it, but not really explain it - certainly not like Joe Lewis. Anyway, I was so fortunate to see a world-class fighter in-person. I personally consider him to have been the best Karate fighter and strategist who has ever been.

• Like 4

masterofoneinchpunch

Sure. They were back in the middle 1980's. All were on the east coast: Conn., Mass., and Penn. Lewis was tremendous. He was in his middle 40's then, but, man, you'd never have known it. Rock solid physique, and effing dangerous technique. His forte was a simple stop-hit with a lead punch, or lead side kick. About the seminars: he'd intro a basic idea, say, matching reverse punch versus a side kick, and let one guy lead and the other try to counter - the entire concept he was on about was using the five angles of attack and the three defensive footwork patterns. All kinds of partner drills this way. If you've seen his videos, the seminars were very similar. He was very personable,and would always take time to answer questions while walking around checking what everybody was doing. Joe Lewis was the only person I've ever seen who had both high-level physical ability and absolute strategy behind it. Bill Wallace, on the other hand, was more of an intuitive fighter, he could do it, but not really explain it - certainly not like Joe Lewis. Anyway, I was so fortunate to see a world-class fighter in-person. I personally consider him to have been the best Karate fighter and strategist who has ever been.

Thanks for the reply and the comments.  It reminds me of the Bruce Lee quote "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."  I like the difference mentioned between Wallace and Lewis.  I have always enjoyed Wallace's comments in martial arts in Black Belt magazine over the years and he is quite knowledgeable but your comments reminded me of many stars turned coach (like Bill Russell with the Sacramento Kings; yes he was successful early on when with Celtics as player/coach but the difference was he was surrounded by great players that were much more on his level) where they cannot explain or teach as well as others.  It is interesting on the effectiveness of different sifu/sensei's but understandable because teaching is such a different artform. My philosophy (in fighting and other issues) is simple techniques first, build a foundation and work from there (don't start off with the flying gogoplata :D.)  

• Like 2

For kickboxing, I would go with Don "The Dragon" Wilson and Benny "The Jet" Urquidez. I would also love to learn a bit of TKD from Hwang Jung Lee with his methods of training :)

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Sounds like some great classes to attend - if one can call this a class.  :thumbsup

For kickboxing, I would go with Don "The Dragon" Wilson and Benny "The Jet" Urquidez. I would also love to learn a bit of TKD from Hwang Jung Lee with his methods of training :)

Benny "The Jet" Urquidez has such a resume in terms of practice I guess he could teach other styles than kickboxing without too much problem. And yeah, HJL for TKD would probably be my pick (if I had a better physique, cause I'm a TERRIBLE kicker - or rather, I can kick up that high, so I should rather go for a style with low kicks).

• Like 2

Real life martial artist- Benny Urquidez,movie martial artist-Sammo Hung(he could make anyone look like they could throw down)

• Like 2