陽陽俊 Island Warriors (1981)

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

A couple of days ago I happened to notice in the paper that SBS were showing a movie late at night called ISLAND WARRIORS. Because there's a crazy Wong Tao fantasy-adventure movie of the same name, I set my DVD recorder to record it just out of curiosity, although I didn't honestly think it would be that movie.

When I finally got round to checking the disc the next evening, here's what I saw:

islandwarriors-1.jpg

Holy mackerel! It's the Wong Tao movie. Now, this isn't super-rare or anything, but SBS showed it letterboxed, in Mandarin with English subs, and - judging by the castration scene - totally uncut!

Anyway, I converted it from hard-matted 4:3 to widescreen-friendly 16:9, edited out the commercials, cooked up a little menu for it and authored it as a DVD.

Schweet!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest the dirty tiger

hehehe I have the VHS of Island Warriors, cheesey fun. Wish we got coolness like that on English tv :(

Well, I burned it to DVD and checked it on my ordinary TV and my little 16:9 portable player and it all looks groovy. I'll be happy to trade it out, but if you people who've requested it could give me a couple of days to finish three biggish trades, I'll get back to you.

Guest dager in the cotton

this film is horrible, utter trash, wong tao's worst by a long way. reminds me of Zardoz and thst was rubbish too.

Whoa there. What about NINJA THUNDERBOLT? And ALONG CAME A TIGER is a crushing bore too.

I can't think of a single thing it has in common with ZARDOZ, other than the fact that you don't like either of those movies. The only movie I can think of to compare ISLAND WARRIORS to is Roger Corman's VIKING WOMEN VS. THE SEA SERPENT. And that's not a very apt comparison, either.

According to the films spiel "Males are vehemently hated, on this paradise, with the few that are allowed, existing purely for the purpose of breeding". I wonder if theres any job vancancies going at the moment?.

Archived