The Woman Avenger (1980)

SMK

DESCRIPTION
Here is the first 10 minutes to the 1980 film, 'The Woman Avenger', AKA: Fatal Claws, Deadly Kicks, Killer B's. This film is directed by Lee Tso-Nam, who also directed classic hit films such as The Hot the Cool the Vicious, Challenge of Death, Shaolin Invincible Sticks and Green Jade Statuette.

POINT OF INTEREST
8:24 (Training begins)

• Like 1

MarsHarmony

This looks like a must see - will she seek her revenge or follow Buddha's path?

The music during the opening credits was from Na Cha the Great (one of my personal favorite films!)

• Like 1

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Watched this last night. 

562a623368c9e_TheWomanAvenger1980-5-b.th

562a633cf3fc2_TheWomanAvenger1980-3-b.th

562a635b0bce3_TheWomanAvenger1980-4-b.th

562a63a1655ac_TheWomanAvenger1980-6-b.th

Wow: Ha Kwong-Li or Aliases:  Hsia Kwan-Li,  Shar Kung-Li,  Shiah Guang-Lih ,  Hsia Kuang-Li

Who is this woman who only stared in 14 films.

Is she kung fu dancer or opera to have the skills she has.

Her up above the head kick far surpasses John Liu kick.

She can do it in multiple ways where as John Liu only does in one manner as you all know.

The end fight with Peng Kong she lays one of those kicks while in motion right into Pengs Adams apple,  is unbelievable. 

images.thumb.jpg.9c2bc51e6c5d9849a2cdd49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HONZ6IzCT3Y

Lee Tso-Nam really does a great job. A few over cranking that okay because he sure can create a firestorm of kungfu mayhem.

So who can tell me about our leading lady?

vlcsnap-2015-05-25-06h50m10s197.thumb.pn

GD Y-Y

Edited by GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
  • Like 4

Here's what I found, I think it might have been from some DVD liner notes:

She is Taiwanese and she trained at the Lu Kwan/Fu Sheng Opera school, the same school that gave us Philip Kwok, Chiang Sheng, James Tien, Angela Mao, Robert Tai, and Lee Yi-Min. 

She also acted on TV in Taiwan.  

I loved her in this film and The Invincible Kung Fu Legs with again Peng Kong and the flashy Delon Tan Tao-Liang. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4

Al covered what I was going to say - that she shares the screen with Peng Kong again in Invincible Kung Fu Legs (The Leg Fighters), which is definitely a must see.

She is definitely quite amazing, again, you should really see The Leg Fighters!  I don't remember The Woman Avenger all that well, but I watched it before The Leg Fighters. I remember enjoying Woman Avenger, but It didn't leave the impression on me that The Leg Fighters has.

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 3

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Here's what I found, I think it might have been from some DVD liner notes:

She is Taiwanese and she trained at the Lu Kwan/Fu Sheng Opera school, the same school that gave us Philip Kwok, Chiang Sheng, James Tien, Angela Mao, Robert Tai, and Lee Yi-Min. 

She also acted on TV in Taiwan.  

I loved her in this film and The Invincible Kung Fu Legs with again Peng Kong and the flashy Delon Tan Tao-Liang. 

Thanks AV your the man.

Well now those are some good credentials, no wonder she could do the things she did in the few kung fu movies she made.

I  too loved The Invincible Kung Fu Legs

562a6bde589d4_TheInvincibleKungFuLegs198

Zu Warriors of Magic Mountain.

562a6c180aa48_ZuTheWarriorsfromtheMagicM

Filmography (1977-1992)

Actor (14 films)
  The Chivalry, the Gunman and Killer (1977) ... Mei Fung 
  Shaolin Invincible Sticks (1979) ... Yu Yu 
  The Butterfly Murders (1979) ... No 10, Red Flag squad leader 
  Secret Message (1979)  
  The Woman Avenger (1980) ... Lo Ling Chi 
  The Invincible Kung Fu Legs (1980) ... Phoenix 
  Island Warriors (1981) ... Hau Yi 
  Lady Piranha (1982)  
  Zu: The Warriors from the Magic Mountain (1983) ... Ji Wu Shuang/Chi Wu Chuang 
  The Pier (1983) ... [Deleted footage] 
  Mob Busters (1985)  
  Revenging Ghost (1988)  
  I Revenge For My Son (1989) ... Lady Cop 
  Lady Killer (1) (1992)  

Biography

Taiwan-born actress Ha Kwong-Li was discovered by director Lee Tso-Nam. At a young age she was enrolled in the Liu Kwang Opera Troupe and her tall slender figure was an asset to her kicking which became her trade mark in the films she appeared in. Besides working in movies Ha Kwong-Li was also occasionally working on television in Taiwan.

Island Warriors (1981)

This looks wacko:

562a6d346700d_IslandWarriors1981-31-b.th

GD Y-Y

Edited by GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
  • Like 4

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Al covered what I was going to say - that she shares the screen with Peng Kong again in Invincible Kung Fu Legs (The Leg Fighters), which is definitely a must see.

She is definitely quite amazing, again, you should really see The Leg Fighters!  I don't remember The Woman Avenger all that well, but I watched it before The Leg Fighters. I remember enjoying Woman Avenger, but It didn't leave the impression on me that The Leg Fighters has.

Of course I have seen IKFL.

Saw it on the big screen in the 80's in Boston.

Thanks for your input as always.

GD Y-Y

• Like 1

I first saw this in the early 80s on TV.  I would watch "Kung Fu Theater", on Saturday afternoons, when I was in Junior High.  This was one I remember seeing.  I found it, on Youtube, this past Spring.  Hsia Kwan-Li is extremely flexible!  Amazing girl, she was!  I also really liked the girl with the crippled leg, who played her "Sister".  Anyone know what her name is?

Has anybody ever seen this movie available anywhere in Widescreen?  Seems most of these Kung Fu Classics are all 4:3 TV aspect.  Surely, they were originally filmed, in wide aspect..  The 4:3 just cuts so much of the picture off the sides.. 

• Like 1

Has anybody ever seen this movie available anywhere in Widescreen?  Seems most of these Kung Fu Classics are all 4:3 TV aspect.  Surely, they were originally filmed, in wide aspect..  The 4:3 just cuts so much of the picture off the sides.. 

There was a Japanese VHS that was widescreen, but it was Mandarin with Japanese subs only.

• Like 1

Yes Woman Avenger which I have shown in cinemas as Vengeance of Fatal Claws and Deadly Kicks was shot in CinemaScope 2.35.1 Widescreen aspect ratio which looked beautiful in panorama. 

More films from Yang Pan Pan.

Rivals of Kung Fu

The Magic Blade

Mr. Funny Bone 

Flying Guillotine 

Kung Fu Master Named Drunk Cat

Choi Lee Fat Kung Fu

Two Wondrous Tigers

The Story of the Drunken Master

Duel of the 7 Tigers 

Lion Vs Lion 

Return of the Deadly Blade

Kid from Kwangtung 

Interpol 

Princess Madam 

Ninja Evil Strike 

Angel Enforcers 

Angel Terminators 

Erotic Passion 

The Way of the Lady Boxers 

Deadly Target 

Angel on Fire 

Yes Madam 5

Beach Spike

Kung Fu Jungle 

• Like 3

I Recently sat down and watched this movie for the first time. You can read my thoughts/feeling about this one, by clicking on the link below, thank you.

TheWomanAvenger+1980-5-b.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Hsia Kwan-Li is awesome in this movie.... she's also great in The Leg Fighters and Shaolin Invincible Sticks.

She can kick really high and do some great acrobatics .... she's like a female version of John Liu.... but cuter :)

• Like 2

On 11/28/2015 at 11:49 PM, lungfei said:

japanese vhs posted to adc recently is a longer cut than vengeance video :cool

Anyone know what difference there are between the two prints?

May 2019, I'm back again, still can't find the complete movie of the widescreen clip I posted above.  My mind won't let it go because I know it's out there.  Just when I think it's out of my system, it creeps back in. Those pesky Chinese locked forums tease me with their screenshots of it.  Looky here at what you can't get.

• Like 2

Majin Android

I really enjoyed her part in Chivalry Gunman and The Killer from 1977. The film is one of my favorite swordplay films from that era and probably overall.

• Like 2

I honestly don't know what my obsession with this film is.  I saw the 4:3 cropped subs version so I would like to it see as intended.  I think I was surprised by how good I found it to be despite the video presentation flaws and that really left an impression.  I could be clinging to a good mood I was in that particular day when I saw it that could have attributed to my enjoyment of it more, exaggerating the illusion of it being better than it was perhaps.  My mood fluctuates more than I would like because my current situation is rather bleak at times and mental fatigue/health degradation that has gotten worse this year for some reason.  I attest it to the current worldwide situation that is very bothersome to me and my poor health which is my fault.  I guess I would say I'm not much of a buff like most here.  I fade in and out of fandom I suppose.  I always will be a fan but I get lost, can't keep track of what I've seen and I get jaded.  Sorry I've gone off topic.

Edited by Burnout29
  • Like 3

On 9/2/2021 at 1:50 PM, Burnout29 said:

I honestly don't know what my obsession with this film is.  I saw the 4:3 cropped subs version so I would like to it see as intended.  I think I was surprised by how good I found it to be despite the video presentation flaws and that really left an impression.  I could be clinging to a good mood I was in that particular day when I saw it that could have attributed to my enjoyment of it more, exaggerating the illusion of it being better than it was perhaps.  My mood fluctuates more than I would like because my current situation is rather bleak at times and mental fatigue/health degradation that has gotten worse this year for some reason.  I attest it to the current worldwide situation that is very bothersome to me and my poor health which is my fault.  I guess I would say I'm not much of a buff like most here.  I fade in and out of fandom I suppose.  I always will be a fan but I get lost, can't keep track of what I've seen and I get jaded.  Sorry I've gone off topic.

This statement is honest and rings a bell. Yes indeed this film had a great impact on release and was a very big hit in my neck of the woods. Yes again the 35mm print in CinemaScope 2.35.1 aspect ratio was stunning on the big screen with good mono sound, vibrant colours with sharp focus. I had a similar experience as you have mentioned above with this film to such an extent that I would watch it again and again when I was on duty or not. I guess the appeal for me was the feminine take on the plot in general contrasting with the tried and tested formula of male dominated similar films.

I am also in agreement that watching good films helps relax the mind and body which is good for the soul as well. This has been medically proven and I know instances where this experience has been manifested. The United Kingdom even experimented with cinemas in hospitals called "MediCinema".

Spoiler Alert!!!

Spoiler

We showed this film in cinemas uncut so the main difference with what is currently available is the duration of the rape scene. It lasted long and it was not pleasant. It was the only thing in the film that made me very uncomfortable and the scene that I did not really like though creatively, it was the core of the plot. All four of the bad guys took their nasty turns and for someone who abhors such treatment to women I could have killed the bastards myself. This scene sets the tone for the rest of the film. The rape was not as explicit as in todays standards but the psychological effect on the audience, the camera angle, the editing, the sound effects etc was damaging hence the genuine empathy and routing for the heroine all the way through the movie enhancing the anticipation of the training sequences,their results and the final encounter with the villains.

Sadly by truncating the rape scene, the available print in circulation just feels like an average revenge movie like many others ruining the heart of the plot.

By the way that Japanese widescreen image on your link is stretched so I wouldn't say that all the picture information is present at the top,bottom and sides of the frame.

• Like 3

This is a top grade film and imo superior to leg fighters and Shaolin invincible sticks (both of which are spoilt by poor edits) 

• Like 3

Majin Android
9 hours ago, northern b said:

This is a top grade film and imo superior to leg fighters and Shaolin invincible sticks (both of which are spoilt by poor edits) 

bold but you got a point

• Like 3

Autumn Delicious

Anyone know what the best available English dub print of this is available on DVD/Blu Ray/digital? Thanks for any info you could provide.

• Like 2

LauTakWahfan61

I’m watching “The Woman Avenger” right now on Wu Tang streaming channel! I actually really like this movie! Did it ever get a home media release? It deserves a blu ray!

• Like 2