Won Jin

andy338

Won Jin being disciplined by fellow Korean Taekwondo super-kicker Hwang Jeong-ri for picking his pocket in 1980's Hitman In The Hand Of Buddha. Their little scuffle isn't the kick-fest that could of been but it shows that even back then Won Jin was a talent to watch.

eng with ger scene - hitman in the hand of buddha [the swordsman] [1980] - 인무가인.mp4[2020-12-01 17-30-43.441].jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 4

Won Jin showing some awesome active flexibility and control, but failing to provoke kung fu veteran Liu Chia-liang into combat in The Scorpion King.

Lau refuse fight.jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 4

Won Jin about to black-out in 1991's Korean Boy (aka Thunder Ninja Kids : Little Kickboxer), he only has the one scene but gets to show some of his trademark moves including some seen in The Scorpion King. Despite the lack of Won Jin this film is worth a watch, it stars his first real opponent from The Scorpion King, Kwon Seong-Yeong who gets to show some of his kicking skill. But the title character Kim Jin-Soo shows some great skills for his age, yet this was apparently one of only two films, he was good looking, decent acting for a kid and sweet kicks so not sure why this is. Although it is a bit ridiculous to see a 12 year old fight full contact with and adult Thai boxer :P Get it if you can.

close up Korean Boy 61.png

thunder ninja kids - little kickboxer - dvd.mp4[2020-12-11 16-47-22.198].jpg

thunder ninja kids - little kickboxer - dvd.mp4[2020-12-11 17-24-01.571].jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

Won Jin as agent SA1 in 2013's The Suspect. This was the first time most Won Jin fans had seen him perform infront of the cam since 2006 and the first time actually getting to have a fighting role since 2002. It's not a huge role and the shakey-cam doesn't help, but it tends to be the part most people remember. What at first seems as just a bispeckled older gentleman turns into a chissled martial arts god. Won Jin showing in his 50s the physique, agility and skill many teens would be jealous of.

close up.jpg

• Like 3

I've had some trouble with this one. I just can't confirm if this is Korean super kicker Won Jin in an early role. I've known about this for a long time and have two versions of it,one is Korean and I believe to be the full version at 1h29m, though I can't be sure. It's 1983's The Undertaker In Sohwa Province but has several other versions and diferent titles: Zombie Rivals / Zombie Vs. Ninja / Super Ninja Master / Gravedigger and now I've just seen Shaolin Rambo The Super Master and got a much better look than my versions which are blurry and very dark making identification near impossible.

This movie is listed in Won Jin's filmography on HKMDB but it provides no info as to who he plays in it. Secondly there is KMDB which also gives no info, Won Jin was asked about this being his first film as stated by KMDB, but he said this was inaccurate, naming another film, but was this because he was in another film first or that he wasn't in this movie. I say this as alot of the KMDB Won Jin info is mixed in with several other actor's such as Ham Won-Jin. So I'm not sure I can trust either one.

I believe that if he is in this film he must play this zombie in gold, this actor seems the only possible candidate but I've never been confident enough to confirm. The first issue (in addition to and not helped by my poor quality versions) is the make-up, the white face paint, moushtash and unusual hairstyle hide his features and make it hard for me to be sure. His nose, and eyebrows seem simlilar but it's just not enough for me. The second issue which usually is a great help for ID, is the movement, since he's a zombie he moves in a strange blocky way, so I can't ID the way he moves or any of his usual techniques.

I'd like to see what other people think on this matter or even better if anyone can provide deffinitive proof this is Won Jin, I'd be very happy.

Cheers

Zombie rivals zombie close up cropped.jpg

Here's a good pic for comparrison. Won Jin playing a similar role in a later film.

super hong gil-dong 3 - dvd.mp4[2020-12-08 15-50-58.007].jpg

Here's a pic without make-up for further comparrison.

HKMDB Women On The Run 4.jpg

Here's the actual fight scene in question. But seeing the footage when cutting this clip I'm still not convinced, but it's here for all to see. There's also the possibility he plays one of the ninja's but you don't get a good enough look of them either. Unless I get convinced, I'm not putting this movie in Won Jin's filmography.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

I'd like to see what other people think on this matter or even better if anyone can provide deffinitive proof this is Won Jin, I'd be very happy.

It looks like him, from just taking a glance at the images you posted. Ill watch the video clip at a later point, and let you know what I think.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2021 at 2:09 PM, DragonClaws said:

A Boy & 2 Cops - Kids Sold To The Island, great little demo of Won Jin's skills, it's a shame that this is the highlight of the movie.

Cheers for sharing.

Edited by Dredderick_Tatum
  • Like 3

J.J. Hayden

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted but was having computer problems, among other things. I was also waiting for HKMDB to add the latest update for Won Jin that I sent them, but they've still not replied, so I'll crack on regardless.

Cheers.

• Like 3

J.J. Hayden

Won Jin playing ass-kicking triad boss Kwan Xi-pei in 2015's Martial Cop - Chinatown. This was a low budget film but was a rare chance to see Won Jin back in-front of the camera and showing he's still got the skills.  I'd recommend any martial arts fan to check out his scenes in this one.

martial cop -  chinatown part 2of2 --- 권법형사 차이나 타운 kwon.bob_chinatown.2015.720p.hdrip.x264.aac-wogure_1-x2xjmnb.mp4[2020-12-08 16-49-44.204].jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

J.J. Hayden

Won Jin's lastest role to date is as Gil San a guerrilla soldier in 2019's The Battle Roar To Victory. Unfortunately it is only a side character and he doesn't get to do any martial arts, but it's still nice to see him in front of the camera again, hopefully this trend will continue and perhaps one day we'll get The Scorpion King 2 that we all want.

close up Battle Roar 1.jpg

• Like 4

Super Ninja
22 minutes ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Won Jin playing ass-kicking triad boss Kwan Xi Pei in 2015's Martial Cop - Chinatown. This was a low budget film but was a rare chance to see Won Jin back infront of the camera and showing he's still got the skills.  I'd recommend any martial arts fan to check out his scenes in this one.

martial cop -  chinatown part 2of2 --- 권법형사 차이나 타운 kwon.bob_chinatown.2015.720p.hdrip.x264.aac-wogure_1-x2xjmnb.mp4[2020-12-08 16-49-44.204].jpg

How hard are these newer films of his to track down? 

• Like 3

J.J. Hayden

Kinda tricky. It was a bit of a struggle just to find them and couldn't find any with eng sub or dub. Martial Cop I found in two halfs, one much better quality than the other :P but it's Won Jin so I can't complain.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
23 hours ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted but was having computer problems, among other things. I was also waiting for HKMDB to add the latest update for Won Jin that I sent them, but they've still not replied, so I'll crack on regardless.

Nice to see you back on the forums @Dredderick_Tatum, and keep pushing the HKMDB to do the up-date.

• Like 4

Super Ninja
23 hours ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Kinda tricky. It was a bit of a struggle just to find them and couldn't find any with eng sub or dub. Martial Cop I found in two halfs, one much better quality than the other :P but it's Won Jin so I can't complain.

Yeah, kinda had a feeling that'll be so, fingers crossed at least Martial Cop shows up somewhere. 

• Like 3

J.J. Hayden

Won Jin as Sonny Wong in 1992's The Scorpion King (aka Operation Scorpio). This was his breakout role in terms of worldwide recognition and becoming a fan favourite. It was the first of his films I saw, it was the HKL version, the trailer made the movie look a lot better than it is, so well done to the editor they did a great job. Not that the film is bad, it's just so-so, but Won Jin was amazing, some stuff is on wire (usualy quite obvious) but most was down to his own amazing talents. I was an instant fan and he inspired me to finally go to a martial arts club and also work on acrobatics.

In this classic scene Sonny Wong humiliates Master Lo (Liu Chia-liang) while showing off his incredible flexibility with ease.

The Scorpion King bench split 3.jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 4

J.J. Hayden

Won Jin as Yong-pal, a martial arts teacher who has to save a bunch of kids from kidnappers in 1995's A Boy & 2 Cops. It seems that this was the first of the very few times Won Jin was back in front of the cam in Korea after leaving HK. Although it's good to see him back it's not a great film, even though he gets a few fight scenes, they're rather lack lustre, I think he wasn't really involved in the choreography, the little demo at the start is really cool though.

close up.jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 5

J.J. Hayden

I finally managed to find confirmation on this one, the only time (as far as I'm aware) where Won Jin has an actual DIRECTOR credit, along with 3 other directors. The film is 2014's Dokdo 512 and Choe Yoon-seul is listed as the main actress. It looks like war drama based on historic events during the Japanese conquest of Korea. I can't confirm if the film ever got released as I can't find any clips anywhere, but it's still an interesting note in his career.

Dokdo 512 cover 1.jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 4

J.J. Hayden

One of Won Jin's latest projects is soon to be released on the big screen. 2019's Lotto Share is due out on 30/04/2021 and looks of interest even though it's not a martial arts film. It seems to be a psychological crime thriller and Won Jin was in charge of the action and training the actors for the more physical aspects of their roles. Hopefully it'll do well. Here's a link to the trailer - 

EDIT: sorry, but the trailer's no longer available so I've removed the link. Enjoy the poster.

Lotto Share cover 1.jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 4

J.J. Hayden

Won Jin as Kal Koo-ri in 1997's The Expert. This is also known by several other names: The Master; High Grade Player; High Stakes or simply by the Korean version, Gosu. It is probably Won Jin's most significant role outside of The Scorpion King.  The quality of the choreography is better than a lot of Korean movies around that time and Won Jin brings in lots of his signature moves, he even noted himself he saw it as a spiritual successor to his Sonny Wong character. Fans of Won Jin or great kicks in general need to see it.

close up.jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 4

J.J. Hayden

Won Jin as Ah Chun, chocking out a cocky Korean gangster in 1998's Vindictive Venom. He's a triad brought in to deal with the main characters by the Korean gang boss when his own droogs aren't up to the task. It's a great fight at the end of the film with kicks flying all over the place. Unfortunately the rest of the film isn't very impressive, much of this I believe is down to budget, it was a TV movie by local stunt guys who weren't having much luck in the changing Korean movie industry. It may be of interest to some that one of the leads is Lee In-seop who many will know as a member of the JC stunt team.

close up.jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

Zhan Gua Ren

The Korean DVD release of The Expert (Go Su) has a great Making Of section,
with Won Jin and the crew choreographing one of the fight scenes.

• Like 4

J.J. Hayden
43 minutes ago, Zhan Gua Ren said:

The Korean DVD release of The Expert (Go Su) has a great Making Of section,
with Won Jin and the crew choreographing one of the fight scenes.

That'd be awesome to see. I got a crappy DVD copy (I think it was transfered straight from VHS) about 10 years ago and took perfect care of it, not a scratch on it, but it's busted. My bro managed to save the footage, it took over 24hrs and the audio goes out of synch about half way through. I tried to order new DVD from Korea, but no luck.

Do you have a good site I could check out ? If it's not one I've already tried.

Cheers

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 3/27/2021 at 12:29 AM, Dredderick_Tatum said:

I finally managed to find confirmation on this one, the only time (as far as I'm aware) where Won Jin has an actual DIRECTOR credit, along with 3 other directors. The film is 2014's Dokdo 512 and Choi Yoon-Seul is listed as the main actress. It looks like war drama based on historic events during the Japanese conquest of Korea. I can't confirm if the film ever got released as I can't find any clips anywhere, but it's still an interesting note in his career.

Here's a making of clip, don't think I spotted Won Jin though - 

• Like 4