Won Jin

andy338

Won Jin in 1993's Hero From Beyond The Boundary Of Time. This one was another example of him not being used very well by HK. He only gets a small amount of fighting and much of it is flying around on wires and attacking people with his haircut.

Clip shot 44.jpg

• Like 3

Won Jin playing crime lord King Kong in 1993's Women On The Run. This is probably his best film in HK in terms of showing off his kicking skill, save for The Scorpion King. Pictured here with co-star Tamara Guo.

Women On The Run - Won Jin close up.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

Have you got a more complete filmography than the one that can be found on HKMDB @Dredderick_Tatum?

Yup. They're missing a couple that're on their site but not connected to Won Jin's page. I sent them some pics which they uploaded but they're just on movies images they didn't connect them to his page though, sigh. Also they only really cover the HK fillms rather than Korean films. I've made a filmography but not posted it yet. I plan to post details here before on HKMDB so the members here get first view, also they don't credit you for bringing them info :P

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

I've made a filmography but not posted it yet. I plan to post details here before on HKMDB so the members here get first view, also they don't credit you for bringing them info :P

Nice! Thanks in advance for sharing your work with the fandom. :bs_martialgreeting:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Won Jin playing crime lord King Kong in 1993's Women On The Run. This is probably his best film in HK in terms of showing off his kicking skill, save for The Scorpion King. Pictured here with co-star Tamara Guo.

Women On The Run - Won Jin close up.jpg

Love this film! Farini Cheung and Tamara Guo kick ass in their debut roles, but Jin's double leg back roundhouse blew me away.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Love this film! Farini Cheung and Tamara Guo kick ass in their debut roles, but Jin's double leg back roundhouse blew me away.

Yup, there's some very good action here. There's a couple of photos with Won Jin and Tamara in the gym, I don't know if he was training her in some martial arts or whever they just worked out in the same place.

Women On The Run set 2 - Madame Cops starring actor training.jpg

Women On The Run set 1 -Madame Cops starring actor training.jpg

Edited by Dredderick_Tatum
  • Like 4

Won Jin in 1982's Dreadnaught Rivals playing a second character. He's one of the guys at the gambling stall that has a fight with leading man Choe Soon-seok. You're not fooling me with that tash.

Dreadnaught shot  19.jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Yup, there's some very good action here. There's a couple of photos with Won Jin and Tamara in the gym, I don't know if he was training her in some martial arts or whever they just worked out in the same place.

Women On The Run set 2 - Madame Cops starring actor training.jpg

Women On The Run set 1 -Madame Cops starring actor training.jpg

Oh, wow.. so, though highly unlikely, it's possible he introduced her to David Lai and Corey Yuen, though my guess would be he just had the task of training her for the role.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

Oh, wow.. so, though highly unlikely, it's possible he introduced her to David Lai and Corey Yuen, though my guess would be he just had the task of training her for the role.

Yeah, I just meant perhaps he trained her for the film. But you never know, he may have met her first and introduced her to Lai, there's so little info on him to work with, who knows.

• Like 3

Tekken's Lei Wu-long performs The Scorpion King's "Heaven's Knife Whirlwind Kick" in Tekken Tag Tournament (1999). I was very excited to see this as a kid, I'd not long since discovered Won Jin and then one of my fav games gives him a nod, it even uses the same low camera angle and slow motion. Great stuff.

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

I also came across this game during my research. It's called Martial Masters (1999) and features a charater obviously heavily inspired by Won Jin's character in The Scorpion King. He's called "Scorpion" of course and has moves, stances and even his outfit are an homage to Won Jin's stand out performance as Sonny Wong.

Martial Masters [1999] - Scorpion.jpg

• Like 3

Marc Dacascos in 2000's China Strike Force with super kicker Won Jin "The Scorpion King" and US "entertainer" Coolio. Not a great movie, especially it had such talent involved, Marc, Won Jin and Ken Lo, but none were used to their full potential. It would've been great to have had a fight between Marc and Won Jin but instead, Won Jin just gets shot by Coolio, I think Marc says what we're all thinking "Was that necessary?".

death 17.jpg

• Like 4

Yuen Biao pictured with fellow super-kicker Won Jin while the latter was filming The Scorpion King (aka Operatin Scorpio). They did eventually get to go toe-to-toe in 2002's No Problem 2. The fight is decent but how awesome would it have been for them to work together during Yuen Biao's prime, it could've been the best kick-fest ever!!!

Yuen Biao visiting The Scorpion King set.jpg

No Prob 12.jpg

• Like 2

The great Sammo Hung with the stars of The Scorpion King (aka Operation Scorpio), stunt superstar and long time HungGarBan member Chin Kar-lok and Korean super-kicker Won Jin.

Won Jin 7 - with Sammo Hung and Chin Kar-Lok.jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 2

Won Jin in 2006's Almost Love. He only does a guest spot here showing off some of his flips. But any chance to see him doing some action infront of the cam again is worth a look.

close up.jpg

• Like 3

Still don't know what happened to the previously posted vids of To Catch A Thief I gave rdenn the links to, but I still can't get the "url"s from the page myself and I've spent a very long time trying everything, but no luck :(

So the best I can do is provide the screencap footage I took and did what I could with. It's not great, but it's better than nothing. People have been robbed of these mysterious scenes long enough.

PS: If anyone else wants to try and get the vids from the source, be my guest, I'll share the links below, but don't forget to share if you're successful.

Cheers

https://search.naver.com/search.naver?where=video&sm=tab_jum&query=원진+비약강호

https://cafe.naver.com/zmfpdlstjdwl/23526

• Like 2

Sorry guys, I've no idea what's going on here. :( I tried to upload the vid, as I have done before and it just won't load, it just leaves the message "No video with supported format and MIME type found".

What's the deal?

UPDATE : Seems I may have found a work around that might work for YT vids as well, worth a try anyway. Switch to the Google Chrome browser, it took ages considering how short the clip is, but it works.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Sorry guys, I've no idea what's going on here. :( I tried to upload the vid, as I have done before and it just won't load, it just leaves the message "No video with supported format and MIME type found".

There are times recently when I cant get a video link to up-load to the forum, usually when posting YouTube content.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

There are times recently when I cant get a video link to up-load to the forum, usually when posting YouTube content.

Seems I may have found a work around that might work for YT vids as well, worth a try anyway. Switch to the Google Chrome browser, it took ages considering how short the clip is, but it works.

• Like 2

Here is the second Won Jin fight scene from To Catch A Thief. This is special because not only do we get to see those awesome kicks but Won Jin show some weapons skills by breaking out the nunchaku. Not only does he get the better of To Siu-chun but also gets to take on HK action mistress  Moon Lee. Why did they cut this !!!!

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

On 12/7/2020 at 4:21 PM, Super Ninja said:

Have you got a more complete filmography than the one that can be found on HKMDB @Dredderick_Tatum?

I'm helping them out a bit filling in the blanks. My names not on there cos I didn't agree with T&C for their forum but I sent them info and you can now see some of my pics on there too.

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

I've just come across a very interesting Chinese article that claims the Jet Li film that Won Jin turned down due to other commitments was actually 1993's The Legend 2 (aka Fong Sai Yuk II). This is the only place I've seen this so can't confirm but the date certainly seems about right. Ji Chun-hua's good at what he does, but boy would I have loved to have seen Jet vs Won Jin.

The Legend 2.jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 2