Won Jin

andy338

17 hours ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

If anybody has any further info to add, I'm happy to hear it, I know there's at least one other Won Jin movie out there. Hopefully one day I'll find more.

Great work @Dredderick_Tatum, and thanks for sharing it here on the forums. If I find any Won Jin related material, Ill post links for you here.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Cheers. That'll be great.

Not that it's going to be easy finding anything new to add to your piece, you have done some fantastic research there.

• Like 3

For anyone not aware of Won Jin's talents, here is a really good compilation from YT. I may do one myself someday, but this one is very good.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

An old showreel posted back in 2009, this was the only way I could get this video link to work here.

Won Jin Showreel- https://youtu.be/HdIUWGsTkT4

From the HKL release of The Scorpion King, awesome stuff. I love that handstand hop thing he does.

• Like 4

Possibly Won Jin's first acting role in 1980's Hitman In The Hand Of Buddha. He plays one of the pickpocket kids even though he's about 18 at the time, lol.

AnyConv.com__The Swordsman won jin 1.jpg

Edited by Dredderick_Tatum
  • Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
7 hours ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Trying to get some decent screenshots from my Won Jin collection. Does anyone know a decent FREE program for good sreenshots?

Cheers

Korean Boy 4.png

Use VLC. It has a snapshot button on it. Takes some practice.

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

The problem with these late 80's movies are they overuse blue filters and gauze to create a Spielberg look that was so big at that time, so even when the movies are restored they look soft. I've seen these movies at the theater expecting them to look clear and sharp, but even with 35mm reels some just looked fuzzy, a good example is a great flick like Tiger Cage 2, even on a big single screen it had that fuzzy look. 

vlcsnap-2020-11-30-22h42m18s339.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Use VLC. It has a snapshot button on it. Takes some practice.

Lol. That's what I used but it's not too great. Cheers

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

The problem with these late 80's movies are they overuse blue filters and gauze to create a Spielberg look that was so big at that time, so even when the movies are restored they look soft. I've seen these movies at the theater expecting them to look clear and sharp, but even with 35mm reels some just looked fuzzy, a good example is a great flick like Tiger Cage 2, even on a big single screen it had that fuzzy look. 

vlcsnap-2020-11-30-22h42m18s339.png

You make a good case. It does have a style that I find quite nostalgic (though I grew up in 90s, everything I watched was 80s) but makes it a bit ticky to work with today. Great pic btw, It's stylish and shows of Won Jin's terrific flexibility.

Cheers

• Like 3

Won Jin playing a bizzare pixie goblin thing, in Saviour Of The Soul II, but everything in that film is weird and mental, lol. I think he said David Lai wanted him to do it as a sort of screen test, to see if he could work well with Hong Kong style film-making.

Won Jin in Saviour Of The Soul II 1992.png

• Like 3

Won Jin as one of the Kung Fu waiters in 1982's Dreadnaught Rivals, he gets to throw a few good kicks here and there. I am pretty sure he plays another character in a fight scene but has a Fu-Manchu tash.

Won Jin in Dreadnaught Rivals 1982.jpg

• Like 3

Won Jin playing one of  Seub Deuk's buddies/employees (wooing the ladies with his charms) in 1983's Duel Of Ultimate Weapons. He gets to do some comedic fighting and some acrobatics here.

Won Jin in Duel Of Ultimate Weapons 1983.png

• Like 3

Not sure what's happened with rdenn's earlier posts, they've just gone blank ??? :(

I've seen this on other people's posts too. Why is that?

• Like 1

Won Jin in 1991's To Catch A Thief. For some reason both his scenes are cut form many prints. I had to track it down to an obscure Korean blog page with a Korean print of the movie, can't really figure out why it was cut, it's the best thing in the movie.

To Catch A Thief screenshot 25.png

• Like 3

Won Jin playing Lee, the waiter assassin in 2000's China Strike Force. He had been looking forward to working with fellow super kicker Ken Lo but the film didn't really make the most use of his talents, along with most of the cast for that matter. He gets to throw a few nice kicks but his action scene is too short and it doesn't help that they keep cutting away for long periods. But the worst thing is his exit from the movie, he just gets shot by his boss, Coolio.

death 10.jpg

• Like 3

Won Jin playing the martial arts hitman Invincible in 2002's No Problem 2. This is one of his better HK movies courtesy of his friend and The Scorpion King co-star Chin Kar-lok. He gets to fight fellow super kicker Yuen Biao, it's a decent fight but I just imagine what we could've had back in the early 90s.

No Prob 18.jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3