Power Rangers (2017) - Reboot of MMPR as movie

AlbertV

If anyone has missed this, on January 13, 2017, Saban and Lionsgate will unleash the power with a theatrical reboot of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, although the film will just be called Power Rangers.

Directing the film will be South African helmer Dean Israelite, who directed Project AlmanacThor writers Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller have written the script. PR series producer Brian Casentini, creator Haim Saban, and Allison Shearmur are producing the film. 

The reboot will have a little bit of a darker tone and is rumored to be a semi-continuation of the series franchise, which means it would take place after the current series, Dino Charge. It is rumored that Rita Repulsa will return but not as the maniacal witch but a huntress of sorts. They are seeking an established actress for the role and there is a rumor that Scorpina (one of Rita's main goons) will be the villain as well.

Whatever the case is, casting had went underway and three of the Rangers so far have been cast and they are all newcomers. One of them appeared in China's hit film Monster Hunt:

Dacre-Montgomery.jpgnaomi-scott-power-rangers-movie-pink-ftrNEIz6KBegTStMK_1_b.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yellow Ranger has been cast

There had been rumors that the new Rangers would not be using the same character names, but Saban officially said that they are so:

Dacre Montgomery is Jason
Naomi Scott is Kimberly
Becky Gomez is Trini
Ludi Lin is Zack
RJ Cyler is Billy

Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa, who is according to The Wrap, an original Green Ranger turned rogue and is then imprisoned.

Bryan Cranston as Zordon, who according to The Wrap, is the original Red Ranger who becomes a state of energy.

Bill Hader as the voice of Alpha 5Zordon's trusty assistant, who is now apparently an alien and not a robot as seen in this concept art piece.
alpha-new-1jpg-5659b2_610w.jpg

Interesting news...Goldar has been revealed and from the toy commercial in the following video, seems to be a Megazord cloned-golem made of molten gold. So it looks like he may in fact be the final enemy for the new Rangers.

Here is the new Megazord

iXFgT5gwDwfzusTGagkB49.jpg

power-ranger-poster-0715.jpg.824x0_q71_c

NEjxxRTfGQhunm_2_b.jpg

35 minutes ago, Karlos said:

@AlbertVWill you be seeing this one at the cinema?

Most likely, but it will have to be sometime next week because I'm going camping with my son this weekend. LOL But yeah, I do want to see this in the theaters.

So I learned a little something last night via Facebook. Ludi Lin, who plays Zack/The Black Ranger, is actually a wushu practitioner and his teacher is none other than Bruce Fontaine. And to top that off, Ludi's stunt double for the film is Beyond Redemption lead actor Brian Ho, who is also a protege of Fontaine's...IMO that's awesome!

Haim Saban, the creator of the Power Rangers, has said if the film does well at the box office, there are plans to make this a six-film series. And they already are teasing who will be in the first sequel...

green-ranger-teased-for-power-rangers-2.

While the film didn't do so well at the box office, toy sales have skyrocketed and now it looks like there are early talks for a sequel. Director Dean Israelite said this on the possibility of a sequel:

"It’s obviously not up to me, but I know the studio (Lionsgate) and Saban are talking in earnest about it, and are trying to push forward. They’re having a discussion.”

Israelite also plans to not only bring the Green Ranger in the sequel should it happen, but he may even bring in Lord Zedd.

“You know, there was a lot of discussion at one point of Lord Zedd being in this movie. We didn’t have the real estate for it, and I didn’t want to dilute the storytelling, so Lord Zedd definitely has to make an appearance in the franchise, he’s a fan favorite.”

Archived