Chiang Sheng

Guest falkor

Here's a new bit of info I came across. This photo of CS with the youngster (below). Now, one would quickly assume the child was his but what the English part of the article (May '80) states conflicts with that notion.

A reporter was talking to CS on the set of an unnamed Chang Cheh film when Lu Feng came over and said to the guy that CS was "going to be a father soon; congratulate him." The reporter asked if he wanted a boy or a girl and CS looked at the reporter's female companion and said "I'd prefer a pair of twin girls like you. Then my wife could retire from the production line." The reporter later found out that CS's baby was due in May ('80).

From the gist of this conversation, it certainly sounded like this was going to be CS's first child. He had two daughters and since he only got married several months prior to this article, I highly doubt that the kid pictured with him is his because of the child's age, sex, and from this conversation.

Of course, I could be wrong. Once again, the disadvantage lies in the inability to translate the Chinese text. Even if we could get the text in the photo translated, it might answer some questions.

cskid.jpg

...the text says (I think) something to the effect of <somebody>'s daughter is/are old/good friend(s)...

The first char. looks a lot like feng1 (as in Lu Feng) - so could it be Lu Feng's daughter?

(But I'm beginner at Chinese, so I might be off the mark...)

...the text says (I think) something to the effect of <somebody>'s daughter is/are old/good friend(s)...

The first char. looks a lot like feng1 (as in Lu Feng) - so could it be Lu Feng's daughter?

(But I'm beginner at Chinese, so I might be off the mark...)

Interesting. The only photo I have of Lu Feng's kids is below.

Unfortunately I didn't scan this, so I don't know the date nor have a bigger size.

The other is the Chinese characters for Lu Feng that I grabbed off the HKMDb.

lufeng2.jpgshowgif.jpg

The list of Lu Feng's names and aliases from HKcinemagic:

儲陸峯

鹿峰

Chu Lu Feng

Chu Qi Xue

Chue Luk Fung

Lu Chu Feng

Lu4 Feng1

Luk Fung

I don't know their sources, nor do I have access to any printed or scanned materials that could prove the data correct or wrong - but the character from the scanned photo is right up there on the first line... (And 峰 is actually its variant...)

That character before 峯 is hardly readable, but I think it maybe might be 鹿.

(That girl in the smaller pic looks a bit like older version of the child in CS's arms - but the scan is small and I must admit that to me all kids look pretty much alike - so it's just pure speculation on my part...;-))

I think Cesare is correct regarding the first incomplete character, and she's right on with the rest of it too. The incomplete character looks a lot like 鹿.

From what is shown and context, the entire text (with my extrapolation in brackets) reads:

[Chiang Sheng and Lu] Feng's daughter are old friends.

Thanks for the photo Teako. Chiang Sheng is my favorite also!

Eastern Evil
Any death is tragic but Chiang Sheng's came too soon and it's quite possible that it could have been avoided if he had cut back on the drinking.

Last year at Phillyfest, Lo Mang was telling me a tale on how he tried to always get CS to ease up but he wouldn't have any of that. He actually had little interest in Kung Fu. He was into drinking and having a good time instead - though he did enjoy directing and working behind the scenes.

Towards the end of his life his best mates were Lu Feng, Tin Chee, and Robert Tai. It was Tin Chee who found him dead. He told this to Toby who relayed this to me. Toby was in HK with Robert Tai when he died. They got a call from Tin Chee, then Tai called Chang Cheh and said they'd meet up at the usual place (Meridian Coffee Shop) for tea.

When Chang Cheh heard the news of CS's death, he just smiled, shrugged his shoulders and carried on drinking his tea. No doubt he knew of his downward spiral (the drinking and marital problems) but I'm sure he was hurting inside.

CS is buried in Taichung - a large city located in west-central Taiwan. Of the Venoms, Toby believes only Lu Feng attended. I never got the chance to ask Lo Mang this. (I think talking about the dead is a bit taboo in Chinese/ Asian culture?)

Anyhow, more bits to come....

...bumping ths great thread. I'm gonna read the whole thing while I put a V enom movie on....not sure which.....can never hoose a favorite. All are class.

Chiang Sheng was very good and he is one of my favorites among the Venoms, together with Kuo Che and Sun Chien.

He brought to his movies a touch of humor just as Fu Sheng did in some of his movies too and they were both great.

That's too bad that they both died so young...

I had to start a thread for Chiang Sheng as he always has a special place in my heart because of how much of a fun actor he was with his fighting and acrobatic skilled , but also the tragic way his life ended. After his sting with Shaw Brother's he was low on work and ended up depressed and alone. He had turned to alcohol and ended up dying of a heart attack but wasn't found until three days later by Ricky Cheng Tien Chi who came to see him because he hadn't heard from him. (1) (2) He was only 40 years old.

Here are some clips and links to info about him to start the discussion. What is your favorite film with him or favorite fight scene?

Here are more links to info about him:

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=672

A fan page {some of the links on the site are broken}

http://www.alliancemartialarts.com/ChiangSheng/ChiangSheng.html

And Clips

And does anyone know what movie this clip is from?

• Like 1

Well,when it comes to Chiang"Cutie Pie" Sheng(nicknamed by his female fans) I smile and then frown.I smile because he was indeed a favorite of mine and then I frown due to his tragic demise.It could've been avoided.He should've stayed with his Homeboy Kuo Chui because he definitely would've looked out for him and let's face it...Those two were one of the greatest two man teams in kung-fu cinema.Add Lu Feng for a trio and you've got a triple threat to contend with.

But let me mention my favorite role of Chiang Sheng and a fight scene or two.For starters I think the role where he got to show that he could be a boss and not a sidekick as well as a formidable threat was Legend of The Fox(1980)

He was the main villain for a change and I would've liked to have seen that side of him more.He was also sporting a cool mustache that made me wonder what he would've be like if he had played as Lu Xiao Feng from the Gu Long novels.He certainly could've pulled it off with his impish grin and that devilish glint in his eyes.

He got to show off his fiercer aspect in legend of the fox while giving us an impressive display with the Jian sword and the Dao blade.And looking like a sophisticated baddie in the process.

My favorite fight scene with Chiang Sheng is the one in Two Champions of Shaolin where he rips off his male opponent's libido and nonchalantly tosses it to the floor in front of an awestruck audience.That scene alone is hard to top by almost any standard in a venoms film or otherwise.And before he did it,he merely toyed with his foe in the same manner as a cat plays with a mouse.Catching it then releasing it,Swatting it around around until...ENDGAME.

I can write a book report on the man and perhaps someday I will but for now I'm going to take a breather and a bow on behalf of The true "Clown Prince of kung-fu "Chiang Sheng.

69402704_130465608493.jpeg

• Like 1

And does anyone know what movie this clip is from?

These are all from various TV series he was in after returning to Taiwan. In the good ol' days (before the proliferation of seemingly endless cable channels), Taiwan had a total of three TV networks: TTV, CTV, and CTS. Chiang Sheng worked on shows, occasionally as fight choreographer, from all three channels.

Edited by pcmedley
  • Like 1

Secret Executioner

Loved him in Invincible Shaolin, I found he was the most memorable of the Venoms in this one (though I enjoyed Lo Meng and his Mantis style a lot too). Such a sad end for a great and impressive action actor.

The clip where he has yellow hair is from a Taiwanese series, but I don't know the title.

Talking about Taiwanese series, he played in The white geese, with Shih Szu and Derek Yee, in The divine couple (if I'm not mistaken) with Pan Ying Zi and Meng Fei, in The divine condor and his companion still with Meng Fei, in another one with Hu Chin...I think he played in a lot of these Taiwanese series and he was very good in acrobatic and humour.

I enjoyed all the movies I saw him in.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Hei, if you ever want to go for broke as far as Chiang Sheng, then Fight Among the Supers is your ticket. 

While rewatching House of Traps last night, I saw just how close Ricky Cheng Tien-Chi and Chiang Sheng were. You could tell they were great friends. My heart aches a little when I  watched them bond, knowing Ricky was the person who found his dear friend's body.:crying 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Guys, we are proud to announce we are making a bronze bust in his honor. And Lu Feng will be with us in just one week from now in Mexico to see this and help us promote my museum. 

38516127_626226654429785_7843378604900614144_n.jpg

• Like 2

The late, Chiang Sheng kick-out's, in a scene from Five Fighters From Shaolin(1984).

jlk71-PX42KAK0FN1-Full-Image_GalleryBack

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3