Chiang Sheng

Guest falkor

Was Shaolin Temple one of his earliest roles?

Yup, probably the first where he had some dialogue as well. He had some notable parts around 76-77, like in Naval Commandos and Chinatown Kid, and was an extra/stuntman in Shaolin Avengers. Quite possible he did some stunt work in earlier movies, which he is not credited for.

Chinatown Kid

Chinatown Kid was the first appearance of The Venoms together on screen, Chiang Sheng, Phillip Kwok, Lo Mang, and Sun Chien pre Five Venoms minus Wei Pei though. Five Venoms had the better storyline but I liked the action in Kid With The Golden Arm even better. I think Chiang Sheng's best role was the light skills expert in Invincible Shaolin, that's probably my favorite Venom movie.

Yup, probably the first where he had some dialogue as well. He had some notable parts around 76-77, like in Naval Commandos and Chinatown Kid, and was an extra/stuntman in Shaolin Avengers. Quite possible he did some stunt work in earlier movies, which he is not credited for.

There's 4 early films which I have in my notes.

Haven't seen any of these though HKCM has them also listed.

Can anyone comment if they have any of these flix...?

Wild Tiger (1973)

Bruce Takes Dragon Town (1974)

Filal Son (1975)

Shaolin Traitorous (1976)

I also have him down for a cameo in The Condemned (1976).

This film I do have but only watched once and wasn't looking for him at the time.

And speaking of early appearances, has any got Hand of Death? Never heard of it but....

cameos by both Chiang Sheng and Lu Feng. Plus Jackie, Sammo, John Woo, Dorian Tan, Wilson Tong, Polly, etc. etc.

I NEED to get this one so if you wish to trade, please PM me.

Chinatown Kid was the first appearance of The Venoms together on screen...

Don't forget the earlier ... Naval Commandoes.

This flick was missing Sun Chien - though it did have Wei (nonsense!) Pai. :nerd:

ironfistedmonk

I spotted him in Wild Tiger, he is one of many thugs popping up in various fight scenes, I don't think he has any dialogue and not much screen time. I've not seen Filial Son yet but don't remember seeing him in Traitorous or Bruce Takes Dragon Town.

CS was always my fave growing up.I identified best with him because he was skinny and a clown like myself.When I heard the news, a little part of me died as well.R.I.P.brother, you are sorely missed.

oldeschool17

And speaking of early appearances, has any got Hand of Death? Never heard of it but....

cameos by both Chiang Sheng and Lu Feng. Plus Jackie, Sammo, John Woo, Dorian Tan, Wilson Tong, Polly, etc. etc.

I NEED to get this one so if you wish to trade, please PM me.

Have the deltamac and Fox version of this. I dont remember seeing Lu Feng of Chiang Sheng on there and if they were on there they had very insignificant roles on there. Cant always trust hkcinemagic

There's 4 early films which I have in my notes.

I also have him down for a cameo in The Condemned (1976).

This film I do have but only watched once and wasn't looking for him at the time.

Lu Feng has a small role during the first 10 minutes of this movie. Wei Pai is also on hand as a policeman. No Chiang Sheng that I remember seeing.

oldeschool17

I just verified and Lu Feng and Chiang Sheng are indeed in Hand of Death.... as extras:S. They play shaolin disciples who get killed off in the first 3mins of the film. You would have to really focus and look for them, otherwise, you would miss them in a blink of an eye. Such a pity they were delegated to jobber status in that movie. That movie could have been much better with them actually doing something worthwile:mad:

Chinatown Kid
Don't forget the earlier ... Naval Commandoes.

This flick was missing Sun Chien - though it did have Wei (nonsense!) Pai. :nerd:

Your absolutely right T, I had forgot about that. It's been along time since I watched Navel Commandoes and can't remember much about it, i'll have to revisit it soon. :)

CS is buried in Taichung - a large city located in west-central Taiwan. Of the Venoms, Toby believes only Lu Feng attended. I never got the chance to ask Lo Mang this. (I think talking about the dead is a bit taboo in Chinese/ Asian culture?)

Anyhow, more bits to come....

Any idea which cemetery in Taichung? I'd love to pay a call, as Taichung is not so very far from Taipei, and I have friends there who can help me find the place.

... How old was Chiang Sheng when he died? He was one of the "older" Venoms if I remember correctly? He did appear younger.

Sun Chien and Wei Pei were the youngest, Kuo Chui and Chiang Sheng the oldest.

I believe Chiang Sheng was just about to turn 40 when he died, he was extremely young.

Chiang Sheng met his wife while in Taiwan. Her name was Tou Szu and her father operated a transportation business there. (Sorry no photos of the gal). Chang Cheh gave them a large party when they became engaged in early 1979. On the morning of August 23rd, they went to the San Po Kong Marriage Registry and tied the knot. CS wore "casual wear" and later that afternoon, returned to Movietown where he was filming. CS was 28-years-old.

What film? Well, my best "guesstimate" would be The Magnificent Ruffians. This was released about a month after the wedding and it was the one Venom film that was being plugged in the same issue of SS that mentions CS's wedding. The only other possibility is Ten Tigers which had an on/off production schedule - but I'm sticking with MagRuff.

Apparently, this was no "JenFu" wedding. San Po Kong is a low income/ largely industrial section of HK (near the old Kai Tak Airport) - plus the poor guy had to go back to work a few hours later. (Geez, thanks Run Run!)

Since they were filming, I can only wonder if a few of the V-boys were present. Odd thing about this is when I questioned Lo Mang about CS's wife he mentioned that he never knew her and that CS got hitched after the V-boys broke up and he went back to Taiwan. At the time, I wasn't aware of his own personal tragedy of losing his wife. When I showed him a pic of Lu Feng's wife, he quickly dismissed it as well. Needless to say these questions bothered him and if I had known of his situation, would never have brought them up.

Chiang Sheng and Tou Szu had two daughters whom he loved very much. He would even boost about wearing their clothes. He must have been a very proud Dad. Toby mentioned that he was the only Chinese person he ever met who didn't care about his face. He did not care what he looked like or dressed like and it did not bother him what people thought of him.

Today, his two daughters must be in their mid-late 20s. As CS and his wife split up when the girls were rather young, I wonder how much they remember of their Dad and his career on the silver screen. He died just five days before (what would have been) their 12th wedding anniversary.

Any idea which cemetery in Taichung? I'd love to pay a call, as Taichung is not so very far from Taipei, and I have friends there who can help me find the place.

Sorry, no. He died at a time when SS/HKMN were no more and before the net really took off. I'm sure the media coverage was negligible at best as his career had peaked many years prior. Aside from a blurb in some local Taiwanese paper, finding such information is quite difficult. I hope someone who interviews Ricky or Lu in the future will ask this question.

How did Lo's wife die?

She died of leukemia after 10 years of marriage to LM.

Don't know the year as I don't know when LM tied the knot. Maybe someone else knows?

While I wouldn't place him as my favorite Venom per-say, he most definitely had the most invigorating presence, capable of totally changing the vibe of any film he was in.

I never think of "Venoms" in the literal sense when referring to the mob, its more so of term of endearment to me. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone, aside from myself.

Thanks for all of the great information. Chiang Sheng is and will always be my favorite "Venom" (technical or not). If you get any new info, please share it!

Huh, I must have missed this thread first time around. Anyways, Chiang Sheng is my favorite venom as well. As others have said, I loved the way he could change from light-hearted jokester to deadly serious fighter in a split second. And more than just about anybody else at Shaws, it always seemed to me that the intricate choreaography, acrobatics, and weapons play just looked so EFFORTLESS for him. Of course I'm guessing at this, but I would almost suspect that when learning the choreography for the fight scenes, he would have learned it faster than anyone else, and be kind of bored as he's waiting for the rest to get it and keep up with him. But yeah, his ability to go in a split second from goofing off to intense ferocity with incredible skill is what gives him such great screen presence, IMO.