Chiang Sheng

Guest falkor

Well, technically he is right. However, atleast on this forum, has Wei Pak pretty much been replaced by Chiang Sheng when referring to the "venoms", considering that Chiang Sheng kept making movies with the other 4, while Wei Pak dropped out to do his own thing. It's easier to call all of them venoms considering all the work they did together as a group. I for one do not consider Wei Pak one. (He is a cool guy though). ;)

Chiang Sheng is a Venom, and his legacy will always attribute him being a Venom. It's rather sad hearing of his personal struggles outside the film industry, however, it just goes to show these are real people with real problems as the rest of us find ourselves coping everyday. It's through their projects we are allowed to escape reality at times for entertainment sake, simply to return to the norm.

:S

Shaw Scope Guy

I hear ya The Dragon, as I am a huge fan of Chiang Sheng and the Shaw Bros in general. Just wanted to point out a fact, nothing more. Don't hate.

I hear ya The Dragon, as I am a huge fan of Chiang Sheng and the Shaw Bros in general. Just wanted to point out a fact, nothing more. Don't hate.

Nobody's hating; especially in a thread of mine.

SSG - You pointed out a good point about newbies not being familiar with these films and how it might cause confusion for them. So for the record, let me state some obvious things (for many of us) but perhaps not so obvious for others who are new to the genre and/ or forum:

In the 1978 film, The Five Venoms, Chiang Sheng was not part of the Poison Clan (aka the Venoms) but instead a student of the teacher who instructed these five individuals. This film was the catalyst for a series of films that featured the same group of actors (including Chiang Sheng) who would now be known collectively as "The Venoms."

Ironically, in my conversation with Lo Mang, he too pointed out that Chiang Sheng was not one of the Venoms but merely a student (referring to the 5V film). I acknowledged that he was correct (you don't argue with The Toad) but then explained to him that CS is considered to be a part of the Venoms ( by many fans - including myself ) because of his participation in the V-films that followed.

Chiang Sheng definitely *is* (or was) a Venom. Call him a 'hybrid Venom' or 'babylizard' if you want - but he's still a Venom. That is the general consensus - and it makes a lot of sense - to anyone, who's familiar with a few Venom flicks...;-)

Chiang Sheng definitely *is* (or was) a Venom. Call him a 'hybrid Venom' or 'babylizard' if you want - but he's still a Venom. That is the general consensus - and it makes a lot of sense - to anyone, who's familiar with a few Venom flicks...;-)

Exactly. Once Crippled Avengers/ Invinvible Shaolin came out, this student had graduated ...IMO.

Now onto a funny (but sad) tale.

Again from my conversations with Toby...

The first time Toby had met Chiang Sheng was for the premiere of "Attack of the Joyful Goddess." (According to my notes on this film, this date would have been Thursday, October 6th, 1983). CS had invited Toby and some pals to the premiere but when they arrived, CS was standing outside the theater.

Chiang Sheng goes ... "Guess what. They won't let me in to my own movie because I haven't got a ticket and it was full house." Apparently while the usher knew who he was, he wouldn't let him in. So instead, they went off for coffee and had a long talk.

Imagine that...!

The movie only played for six days so I don't know if he ever got to see it. Poor guy is like Rodney ("can't get no respect") Dangerfield. First he gets called a non-Venom and now he can't even get in to see his own film. Ouch! :S

Chinatown Kid

Chiang sheng will always be considered a part of the Venoms brigade. Even though he didn't play one of the Five Venoms in the original movie he did play the Hybrid VENOM(taught a little of each style but not a master of any). I think anyone that's a fan of the Venom films considers Chiang a Venom. I don't know if your the same Shaw Scope Guy from the old KFF, but there was a guy with that same user name that had a bad reputation/history back then. Again I'm not pointing the finger accusing you of anything, just hope your not here to start trouble.

Chiang Sheng is definitely one of the Venoms IMO. Actually, thinking he isn't one seems to be a newbie mistake. No disrespect.

I didn't realize the anniversary of his death was this time of year. I'll be sure to throw on Venoms movie next weekend during my annual fu fest in his honor. RIP.

Chiang Sheng was my favorite as well. I liked how one minute he would be the jokester and the next a deadly component. Acting wise I would say he was more versatile and believable surprisingly as a villian. Did he have any kids, do you know Teako170 or anyone?

I wonder, if they didn't become renowned as "Venoms" could they have later been called... "Intruders," or "Destroyers," and so on... even though it was one of their lower echelon sellers "Daredevils" sounds just as good. I really liked his character in Shaolin Temple as opposed to some of his later roles. He seemed like the perfect guy for the job. Also it's interesting that no other group had that sort of label. Chu Yuan's group is label worthy also IMO. [Derek Yee, Pai Piao, Lau Wing, Goon Goong, Yuen Hua, Yuen Bun] They still worked together well even when they transitioned to those later Sun Chung "flying" movies (correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, back on topic... after seeing many of these re-releases I now have an idea of how the venoms really branched out, that is all of them except for Chiang Sheng (Lu Feng too by association I guess). I never could have pictured Sun Chien in "Lady is the Boss," or Kwok in "Crazy Shaolin Disciples," Wang Li in "Long Road to Gallantry," or even Lo Meng in "Human Lanterns." Lu Feng and Chiang Sheng I remember only seeing in Brave Archer 3 (as far as later non-venom movies go). Of them all, I think Sun Chien got the most work after the fall out with Lo Meng right behind.

TibetanWhiteCrane
I don't know if your the same Shaw Scope Guy from the old KFF, but there was a guy with that same user name that had a bad reputation/history back then. Again I'm not pointing the finger accusing you of anything, just hope your not here to start trouble.

:D;):S:quiet:

What an anal thread. If you're old enough, you know why they call them the Venoms. It was the first movie with that whole crew. Since they always worked together as a crew, they were called such. Wei Pai is the only one people really asterisk.

Wasn`t it the fans and media that labeled them Venoms? The name stuck after The 5 Deadly Venoms but they never were DBA(doing business as) "the Venoms" as a legal entity. It just comes down to the fact that many of the same actors worked for the same director on several different pictures playing different characters. So, I will put myself on the firing line by saying that Technically there is no such thing as "the Venoms". (not legally, I mean)

So, I will put myself on the firing line by saying that Technically there is no such thing as "the Venoms". (not legally, I mean)

Ha-ha, indeed. I believe that we can all agree that none of these 5 (oops 6.. Sorry Wei Pai) --

didn't have business cards with the word "Venoms" on it.

Indeed, this debate can go on and on and on --

just as the debate about what makes a film a "Venoms film?" How many Venoms does it require? Etc....

However tomorrow, I hope we can all take a breath (whatever our beliefs are of what a Venom / Venom film is) ...

and tip a glass to the late Chiang Sheng.

That, my friends, is what's real - nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks Chiang for the memories.....

Chiang Sheng was definitely a Venom to me. I would call him the "Hybrid Venom" as his character trained in elements of each style. He did some amazing acrobatics and I thought one of his finest performances was Crippled Avengers as the idiot who kept his skills. When I read that he had died years ago, I was shocked because I was such a huge fan of the Venoms films.

Chiu Kang-Sang, thanks for the memories and your legacy will live on forever...R.I.P.

kungfusamurai

In the 1978 film, The Five Venoms, Chiang Sheng was not part of the Poison Clan (aka the Venoms) but instead a student of the teacher who instructed these five individuals. This film was the catalyst for a series of films that featured the same group of actors (including Chiang Sheng) who would now be known collectively as "The Venoms."

The 'Poison Clan' name is all of the disciples of the teacher played by Dick Wei. So wouldn't Chiang Sheng's character technically be a venom? When they left the teacher, they didn't form a gang together. They went off into different directions, with Toad and Lizard being friendly; Snake and Centipede being friendly; and Scorpion playing both sides. Chiang Sheng learned a bit of each of their styles. So while he didn't learn a unique poisonous style (like Spider style, for eg. :-D ), he was still a member of the clan as he was taught by the sifu.

KFS

I think Wei Pai as part of the Venom crew, even if he left out early, the Venoms is a nickname, 5 Deadly Venoms is a movie, I would of figured this was common knowledge.

I will get a bottle of Sake and drink one to Chiang Sheng tonight.

• Buddha Bless You 1

Where is he you ask?

I will not get into specifics but coming up soon this question will be answered. In fact not just Sun Chien, but others from the "Venoms Crew" will make an appearance.

oldeschool17
Chiang Sheng: i dont care if he was Venom enough to actually try and figure out if or if he was not a Venom. I would like to know

what happened to Sun Chien though. Everyone knows what happened to Chiang Sheng but what about Sun Chien. His last film

was 1991. He "dissapeared" so is he actually ''still missing'', was he ever missing at all or did he just drop out of his career in film

and open up a rare chinese tea-cups and saucer joint in HK. I think Mark Pollard is Sun Chien. I base this conclusion on several

different points (not just one) (1) Youve never heard Mark Pollard say he ISNT Sun Chien. (2) If you put the Chinese Characters

for Sun Chien (孙建) in GOOGLE Pictures of Mark Pollard Do NOT show up. Since Mark Pollard is Sun Chien he does not want

any future (recent) photos to show up of himself and if you search you will see although it seems like those are ONLY outdated

photos of Sun Chien that in actuallity Mark Pollard being Sun Chien did this purposefully so as to remain faceless. Any and all

refferences to the name only lead back to Old photo's of Sun Chien which leads us back to Sun Chiens past life before he took on

the name of Mark Pollard and right before he started Kungfucinema. I think if you check the dates of Sun Chien's dissapearance

you will find they align perfectly with when Kungfucinema.com was born. (3) Mark Pollard is very Versatile which reminds me of

the versatility and Kicking style of Chien. (4) Mark Pollard is very wise and all knowing just like Sun Chien was in Human Lanterns.

um....

(4) Mark Pollard is very wise and all knowing just like Sun Chien was in Human Lanterns.

You sure you got that one right...? ;-) Not commenting on the rest of your post - but the two of us apparently have totally different impressions about Sun's character in Human Lanterns...:-]

Anyway.

If any of you guys is Wei Pai, do let me know...;)

...back to Chiang Sheng - he's not my favorite Venom - but I've got the deepest respect for his talent and abilities. His onscreen performances are always a pleasure to watch - and it's a great shame and pity that he passed away so early. RIP.

Chinatown Kid
Heh, you spelled my name wrong. Who is Diagoro. I noticed that on a Recent thread in the Japanese sub-forum

someone made a post entitled ''Diagoro''. If he and the 4 or 5 people are reffering to Kozure Okami ALA Lone w/

and cub and the character played by Akihiro Tomikawa who's name was ''Daigoro'' (who's name my ID is the

inspiration of) then your spelling his AND my name wrong Ha. Just Messin'. Tomisaburo ALWAYS reffered to his

son as Daigoro though. This Lil' Chap pictured here. (BTW, i still think what i said is true, it must be..) Anyone

have a picure of our host to prove otherwise? Nope.

swordofvengence01ob7.jpg

swordofvengence01ob7.0f28cf12f8.jpg

My bad, guess I was typing to fast and mis-placed the a and i. Btw, I can't hold back the truth anymore and would like to confess that I'm actually none other than Hwang Jang Lee. Please pm me if you would like an autographed copy of Drunken Master. :P