KEN

Guest KevinClo

Guest KevinClo

Has anyone here ever read the Yukio Mishima story Ken (Sword)? A few years ago the Japanese movie based on the story was released on dvd. It was directed by Misumi and stars Raizo Ichikawa.

It isn't a feudal drama, but a modern (1950's-ish) type setting. It is about a kendo school at a university. It isn't really a martial arts type of movie although there is a lot of training involved.

It is mentioned here:

www.midnighteye.com/revie..._014.shtml

You can see some video footage of the movie here:

video.google.com/videopla...0146848999

I am just curious if anyone has read the story. It has been printed in English.

KC

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this looks awesome, I took a little Kendo when I was younger, I liked the intensity of the training, the way it should be. I'll have to seek this movie out.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

KevinClo,

Thanks for showing that list. There's a few films there I'm definitely gonna check out when they're available. Devil's Sword and Destiny's Son look promising. Ichikawa Raizo is one of my fave actors in this genre.

Guest KevinClo

Right, I own the Japanese version, but I had noticed a guy did a english sub version on the French dvd that was on the d/l sites for the past few months. I am sure we will be seeing more of this movie around.

I am not the biggest fan of the writer Mishima, but his stories are interesting. The story from the movie is in the book Acts of Worship. The main character is the coach/teacher of the Kendo team at his college. He strives for simplicity in life in his pursuit of Kendo. Yet, he seems a bit lost when it comes to the outside world. It is an interesting to story to read or watch once.

KC

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

KevinClo,

I've just received this movie from an Ebay seller. English dubbed. I've only checked the first 10 min. out or so but it's a classmate rivalry story and it looks like it's gonna kick some ass as far as the overall movie goes.

I'd also obtained Sword Devil and Destiny's son english dubbed in excellent condition. region2 CD-Rs with excellent packaging (like original) and good picture quality for around 11 bucks a piece.

Hopefully there'll be a region one release of all these great films

Archived