What is the worst Shaw Brother's film you have ever seen?

Hei Meigui

I remember "finger of doom" being more good than ugly but can`t be sure after just one viewing long time ago.

Bells of death I rate very high. Storyline is usual revenge stuff but does not drag at all. Interestingly training scenes are skipped completely, after vengeful guy has become student in a blink he has mastered form of fighting. Candle fight is my fav scene, very original. Good performance by Chang Yi also

Sadly IVL and r1 versions are cut although nothing important is missing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

I remember "finger of doom" being more good than ugly but can`t be sure after just one viewing long time ago.

Bells of death I rate very high. Storyline is usual revenge stuff but does not drag at all. Interestingly training scenes are skipped completely, after vengeful guy has become student in a blink he has mastered form of fighting. Candle fight is my fav scene, very original. Good performance by Chang Yi also

Sadly IVL and r1 versions are cut although nothing important is missing.

Guess one man's meat is another man's poison, heh ? Kinda interesting that Bells of Death skips the training stuff, guess it could be why some don't consider it that solid (the training parts usually making up a good portion of a MA movie).

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I don't know if it's the worst I've ever seen but I just couldn't get into "Ten Tigers from Kwantung".

I can understand that. 

I know exactly what my issue with this film is, the younger characters. I understand the reason behind it (cast changes and a break between filming.)   I basically skip through it when kiddies are on, the parts with the more mature cast and the Venoms work for me, anyway. 

Nothing has topped Snake Prince for me as the worst. I've seen a few that made me scratch my head and think okay, one viewing was enough (Web of Death and New Shaolin Boxers for example.)

I don't know if it's the worst I've ever seen but I just couldn't get into "Ten Tigers from Kwantung".

If you haven't seen Ten Tigers from Kwantung til' the very end, you are missing out on true greatness.

I remember the first time I watched it, one of my brothers walked in just as the finale was taking off. At the conclusion, he said "holy shit!", grabbed the remote and replayed it 3 or 4 times. He is not really a kung fu fan either.

It was awesome.

With that said, Ten Tigers of Kwantung is certainly a confusing mess, and hard to sit through. I need to revisit it sometime to see if my view of that has changed at all.

masterofoneinchpunch

It was awesome.

With that said, Ten Tigers of Kwantung is certainly a confusing mess, and hard to sit through. I need to revisit it sometime to see if my view of that has changed at all.

I enjoyed the film more the second time I went through it (though the viewings were several years apart -- and several Chor Yuen films with even more confusing plots).  Plus as you mentioned, the ending helps.  I cannot put Ten Tigers of Kwantung being nowhere as bad as Shaw's Journey of the Doomed or The Big Hold Up.

Well whenever I watch it again I'll have the same factors going for it that you did upon revisiting it, so hopefully that helps.

I agree though, when I compare it to Clan of Amazons it's almost laughable. At least Ten Tigers is mindless entertainment at worst, I wouldn't call Clan of Amazons entertainment at all.

Ive seen niether of the two films you mentioned.

Hex (1980)

An hour and a half of my life that I will never get back.  I like Tanny Tien Ni, but I just could not get myself to like this flick. 

Archived