What is the worst Shaw Brother's film you have ever seen?

Hei Meigui

We have talked about the most disturbing movies, and movies that shaped our childhood, but what I am specifically asking for in this thread is which is the worst Shaw Brother's movie you have ever seen - and why?

I'm going to have to think of mine.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Snake Prince Awful, Canto-pop teeny bopper nightmare in which Ti Lung and his Snake brothers go all Thulsa Doom on some disco singing / dancing tribe. No, really. I may not grok Holy Flame of the Martial World, and Black Magic was a one time viewing, but damn this one is a double Z stinker. Try as I might, I still cannot banish this one from my mind. I think I need to call Wilson Tong's nanwu to cast it out. 

I would have to say in my short time getting to know the Shaw films, Buddhas Palm, and Holy Flame of the Martial World are by far the worst. I couldn't even get through them even though I bought them knowing they were bad!! 

A couple of similar threads:

The Worse Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

Which Shaws are crap? Quick, before I order them!

My answer tends to be the same in what I wrote in 2009:

Nice links thanks for that! I figured there had to be something along this line asked before!! Don't know if I would have thought to put "crap" in as a search term!!!

I don't think I've seen a Shaw Brothers movie that I didn't like. I guess the Shaw Brothers movie that I like the least is maybe Coward Bastard for being very by-the-numbers but I still really enjoy it. Destiny's Champion is a blatant Karate Kid ripoff, but it's so enjoyably cheesy and stupid.

I would have to say in my short time getting to know the Shaw films, Buddhas Palm, and Holy Flame of the Martial World are by far the worst. I couldn't even get through them even though I bought them knowing they were bad!! 

I haven't seen those movies, but I've heard mixed reviews from both. I'll need to check them out. I usually like the insane fantasy Shaw movies. If you've seen it, did you guys like Bastard Swordsman?

Journey of the doomed (didn't like the story), Boxer's omen (so disgusting !!), Young heroes of the streets (too nonsensical story), Girl with long hair(I'm congratulating myself to have not spent money to buy this one !), Usurpers of Emperor's power (I don't remember why I didn't like it because I watched it a long while ago, but I remember that at that time, I thought that I should have bought any other Shaws' movie instead of this one....

masterofoneinchpunch

I don't think I've seen a Shaw Brothers movie that I didn't like. I guess the Shaw Brothers movie that I like the least is maybe Coward Bastard for being very by-the-numbers but I still really enjoy it. Destiny's Champion is a blatant Karate Kid ripoff, but it's so enjoyably cheesy and stupid.

I haven't seen those movies, but I've heard mixed reviews from both. I'll need to check them out. I usually like the insane fantasy Shaw movies. If you've seen it, did you guys like Bastard Swordsman?

I loved Bastard Swordsman and the sequel.  I really should do a full length review of that sometime.  It is fun, but also an extremely underrated choreographed film (several Shaw's are) using some of the best composition shots I've seen from that era.

Note, until they improve the search engine here it really does help to put an insane nonsensical word in the title (though there really needs to be a title search BTW like the last search engine KFC had.)  Of course you could always say I'm looking up crap.

I don't think I've seen a Shaw Brothers movie that I didn't like.

Actually, scratch that. Long Road to Gallantry was meh. Probably my least favorite Shaw Brothers movie.

I loved Bastard Swordsman and the sequel.  I really should do a full length review of that sometime.  It is fun, but also an extremely underrated choreographed film (several Shaw's are) using some of the best composition shots I've seen from that era.

Note, until they improve the search engine here it really does help to put an insane nonsensical word in the title (though there really needs to be a title search BTW like the last search engine KFC had.)  Of course you could always say I'm looking up crap.

Bastard Swordsman is more than likely one of my Top 10 favorite Shaw Brothers movies. I'd love to read your full-length review once it's posted.

Also, I've that the search engine is flawed, but can be easily improved. I want to be able to search the titles of threads.

Actually, scratch that. Long Road to Gallantry was meh. Probably my least favorite Shaw Brothers movie.

I did not like it at 1st view, and after 2nd time I thought maybe it`s ok. Now after seeing 4 or 5 times I think it`s quite great. No way would be in top20 but still rocks....

I enjoyed buddhas palm like hell, have not seen holy flame yet...

Coward bastard IS really bad but still lot better than journey of the doomed...

I did not like it at 1st view, and after 2nd time I thought maybe it`s ok. Now after seeing 4 or 5 times I think it`s quite great. No way would be in top20 but still rocks....

I enjoyed buddhas palm like hell, have not seen holy flame yet...

Coward bastard IS really bad but still lot better than journey of the doomed...

I was really considering watching Long Road to Gallantry again. There are certain movies that I really like after a rewatch and this movie might be the same. I disliked The Fighting Fool the first time I saw it, but now it's one of the Shaw Brothers movies that I've seen the most times. Such a fun movie to watch.

Buddha's Palm certainly looks fun as hell. We'll see.

That's debatable. Coward Bastard is really stupid, but I think it has its moments. My partial bias for Meng Yuen Man helps too.

I didn't like Cat vs Rat with Fu Sheng and Adam Cheng.  This movie had so much potential.  Such a shame. 

Man, I'm the worst Fu Sheng fan ever. I haven't seen this one either. Based on what I've seen of it so far (not much), it looks like the kind of movie that I'd like. I've heard mixed reviews of this movie and I've been dying to see it.

I didn't really enjoy The Shadow Boxer all that much. Specifically the way the lead keeps taking a beating because Tai Chi's not supposed to fight back grew old fast (it goes on most the film). Taking a beating is also nothing to do with the real philosophy of Tai Chi as I understand it. In other regards the film isn't terrible, mediocre maybe. But it's the only Shaw I can think of that I sold after watching it.

One notable one I had trouble getting through was the Battle Wizard. I think I was kind of tired while I watched it so it's a worth a revisit somewhere down the line.

I didn't really enjoy The Shadow Boxer all that much. Specifically the way the lead keeps taking a beating because Tai Chi's not supposed to fight back grew old fast (it goes on most the film). Taking a beating is also nothing to do with the real philosophy of Tai Chi as I understand it. In other regards the film isn't terrible, mediocre maybe. But it's the only Shaw I can think of that I sold after watching it.

It´s actually quite good movie if you can stand thing "hero" acts like a retard/coward most of the time. Storyline is ok and none of the actors are particularly irrating.

Secret Executioner

Mind you I have seen little of the enormous output of the studio (maybe a dozen films) and most of what I've seen are big classics, but two movies come to mind:

The wandering Swordsman, which I found very bland and forgettable - David Chiang's character is also way too naive, he shouldn't have been tricked that easily into helping that band of brigands.

Have Sword, will travel could have been a good film and the finale is very poignant, but Ti Lung's character being such a dickhead ruined the movie for me. As much as I love this actor, I couldn't stand him in this - not even sure why he was that pissed off all the time. Yeah, one may argue he doesn't trust Chiang's character for whatever reason (he could be a bandit attempting to rob them or steal his girlfriend - though to be fair she has better chemistry with Chiang than with Ti Lung -, and people argue he might be jealous cause he wishes he was like Chiang, not to mention possible feelings towards him that he tries to conceal), but even when Chiang is not around he seems pissed at everything. 

I've seen those only once, so perhaps a rewatch could make them better. Worked with The heroic Ones, a movie I found disappointing (especially in what it was actually about - expected an epic period piece but it turned out to be a story about betrayal among brothers) but now praise for a lot of qualities that make up for not being what I could have expected it to be.

theThirdMaster

I adore Holy Flame of the Martial World.  It's just plain nuts.  It reminds me of the balls-to-the-wall-fast-editing-anything-goes-style of movies like Hausu or Evil Dead 2.  If you like insane fantasy Shaw movies you must see Holy Flame of the Martial World.  It is the insaniest.  It makes Bastard Swordsman look like a wuxia played straight.  However, Bastard Swordsman is a better movie.  Holy Flame isn't particularly well acted or shot, nor are the fight scenes all the great, and the special effects are terrible.  What it does have is a strong sense of imagination and playfulness. 

Morgoth Bauglir

For a Shaw Brothers movie I think Holy Flame has good special effects.  I love Holy Flame.  It's even better than Battle Wizard.  Better than Bloody Parrot too, and Demon of the Lute.  It's better than a lot of good movies ;)

Morgoth Bauglir

One notable one I had trouble getting through was the Battle Wizard. I think I was kind of tired while I watched it so it's a worth a revisit somewhere down the line.

if you don't like the start of the movie where those guys are shooting lasers then I doubt you will like the movie.  But it's only 73 minutes long, and it's jam packed with fun and crazy.  Give it another shot.  

if you don't like the start of the movie where those guys are shooting lasers then I doubt you will like the movie.  But it's only 73 minutes long, and it's jam packed with fun and crazy.  Give it another shot.  

I will give it another shot for sure. I think I was okay with the start of the film, it just seemed to get harder and harder to follow, if I'm remembering correctly.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Mind you I have seen little of the enormous output of the studio (maybe a dozen films) and most of what I've seen are big classics, but two movies come to mind:

The wandering Swordsman, which I found very bland and forgettable - David Chiang's character is also way too naive, he shouldn't have been tricked that easily into helping that band of brigands.

Have Sword, will travel could have been a good film and the finale is very poignant, but Ti Lung's character being such a dickhead ruined the movie for me. As much as I love this actor, I couldn't stand him in this - not even sure why he was that pissed off all the time. Yeah, one may argue he doesn't trust Chiang's character for whatever reason (he could be a bandit attempting to rob them or steal his girlfriend - though to be fair she has better chemistry with Chiang than with Ti Lung -, and people argue he might be jealous cause he wishes he was like Chiang, not to mention possible feelings towards him that he tries to conceal), but even when Chiang is not around he seems pissed at everything. 

I've seen those only once, so perhaps a rewatch could make them better. Worked with The heroic Ones, a movie I found disappointing (especially in what it was actually about - expected an epic period piece but it turned out to be a story about betrayal among brothers) but now praise for a lot of qualities that make up for not being what I could have expected it to be.

Interesting, Secret. 

When it comes to very early Iron Triangle films, I approach them not only in the era they were made, but also for how they interpreted bad ass for each actor back then. David Chiang was not Jimmy Wang Yu so they had to tailor Chiang's characters to what they think the audience wanted. David's very young Peter Panesque, Robin Hood characters were spot on for that point in time. Very simple, playing upon his physicality and, I wouldn't doubt, pandering to the young ladies in the audience.  And in that regard Shaws too, pushed Ti as the angsty, beef cake. Sure, his character in Have Sword... was a jerk (playing arrogant swordsman is a Ti Lung hallmark. :tongueout)

There's a playful, innocent nature to the early Chiang wuxias which I enjoy seeing, especially in context to something like Vengeance!  I understand their simple characterization and pacing may not be for everyone, but putting myself into that innocent frame of mind I can understand why Chiang's early swordsmen were not as charismatic and film-stealing as they would become only a short time later. And yes, I freely admit I tap into my inner teeny bopper when watching these too. I happen to love Have Sword Will Travel and really enjoy The Heroic Ones. The Wandering Swordsman was fun, but I can 100% roll with your critique about that film. 

Some years ago I was not able to finish black magic part 2. Not sure if I ever give it 2nd chance, I remember it was crap so much...

:monk_raging:

Bells of Death or Finger of Doom

Neither movie did anything for me. But, I liked Finger of Doom better than Bells of Death. Bells of Death did have a decent end fight but nothing that great. It has been a while since I have seen either movie and do not want to put myself through the pain again to remember what it was that I didn't like about them. :monk_laughing:Maybe someday I will give them another chance and see if my opinion changes. 

Secret Executioner

Bells of Death or Finger of Doom

Neither movie did anything for me. But, I liked Finger of Doom better than Bells of Death. Bells of Death did have a decent end fight but nothing that great. It has been a while since I have seen either movie and do not want to put myself through the pain again to remember what it was that I didn't like about them. :monk_laughing:Maybe someday I will give them another chance and see if my opinion changes. 

I guess they don't live up to their OTT titles then, heh ?  :coveredlaugh 

Archived