What is the most recent Shaw Brothers film you've seen?

blue_skies

morpheus
8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Great review. Isn't it a sequel to Big Brother Cheng, or is it the contrary? I watched both long ago and don' t remember which one preceeds which'

Big Brother Cheng is the sequel to The Tea House.  I have the film, but not watched it yet.

• Like 2

Whoishe
Posted (edited)

With a level of knowledge here, it will be probably a stupid/pointless question, but are you guys familiar with the longer version of "Tie Wa" aka "None but Brave" aka "Attack of the Kung Fu Girls", a 1973 movie featuring Cheng Pei-Pei?

The only version of it I watched in the past (or more like, took a look at the fights) was a terrible quality version uploaded on YT and it was 85 mins long.

However, during an ongoing C-Drama search, I found a 117 mins version of it on Chinese Websites, under "None but Brave" title (and with partially English credits).

Edited by Whoishe
  • Like 2

ShawAngela
2 hours ago, Whoishe said:

With a level of knowledge here, it will be probably a stupid/pointless question, but are you guys familiar with the longer version of "Tie Wa" aka "None but Brave" aka "Attack of the Kung Fu Girls", a 1973 movie featuring Cheng Pei-Pei?

The only version of it I watched in the past (or more like, took a look at the fights) was a terrible quality version uploaded on YT and it was 85 mins long.

However, during an ongoing C-Drama search, I found a 117 mins version of it on Chinese Websites, under "None but Brave" title (and with partially English credits).

I'll check my Joysales dvd to check the running time. 

Actually I just checked the dvd on Yeasasia (out of stick) and it shows a 118 mn running time. What is this version that you found on youtube ? I guess that it must be a bootleg for sure, I don't remember the movie to have been so short when I watched it years ago.

Great movie, by the way, and Cheng Pei Pei is excellent there.

• Like 2

Whoishe
3 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I'll check my Joysales dvd to check the running time. 

Actually I just checked the dvd on Yeasasia (out of stick) and it shows a 118 mn running time. What is this version that you found on youtube ? I guess that it must be a bootleg for sure, I don't remember the movie to have been so short when I watched it years ago.

Great movie, by the way, and Cheng Pei Pei is excellent there.

This is the one

• Like 2

saltysam

I've got the Shout Factory double feature dvd with Kung Fu Girl .it's the long version 

• Like 3

morpheus
Posted (edited)

Gambling Syndicate (1975)

As Hong Kong developed economically under the control of Great Britain, it benefited considerably from the lax policies toward gambling.  As a result, these financial activities thrived, as did the increase in organized crime.  Various policies were later enacted over the decades that followed, leading to the passing of the Gambling Ordinance of 1977 which attempted to restrict organized gambling to limited outlets.  Released two years prior to the passing of this legislation, Gambling Syndicate reflects not so much the perspectives, but rather the lingering consequences of a questionable activity as such. 

Portions of the flashing still sit behind the opening credits as a jazzy nightclub theme blares in the background.  Here we are informally introduced to the three main characters of the story.  The tale begins in a red light district of what appears to be a typical town in the early 20th century. Solicitations,  bars and gambling joints dominate the landscape.  In one of these gambling halls we are introduced to Su Yu Bao (Hu Chin) , a new croupier at a Pai Gow table.  Her charm, skill -and looks no doubt- catch the eye of Third Boss Chiang Dao (Chiang Nan).  We also are witnesses that this house -like many- are involved in unscrupulous practices.

A note from an employee, Yuan Guo Wei, is passed to an underling who is to deliver the envelope to a man named Fang Da (Danny Lee Sau Yin) at the Yian Inn.  The note is intercepted by bodyguard Wang Cheng Ping (Wong Ching) however, and messenger is beaten and sent to the dungeon by Boss #1, Chen Tian Gui (Ku Feng). Yuan meanwhile, witnesses the capture and makes a futile attempt at an escape; it appears that he is killed.  Others seemingly involved in this “conspiracy” are weeded out and tortured for both information and the purpose of Fang’s presence in the district -which we later learn is to take down the gambling syndicate and the corrupt provincial officers accepting payoffs.  With the Chief of Police on payroll, Boss Chen has nothing to stand in the way of his opium smuggling business. 

Needling help to replace his diminishing assistance, Fang asks the prison warden (Lo Lieh) for two criminals -Zhu Jiu Shou (Cheng Kang Yeh) an expert thief and prison escapee, and the inhuman Jin Gang (Fan Mei-Sheng) who strikes fear in the prison guards and has a score to settle with Chen Tian Gui.  Both men are recruited on the premise that following the case, each will have earned their freedom. Assigned to Chen’s gambling hall, Zhu’s itchy fingers has him identified and caught -a search of his person behind closed doors, reveals a store full of jewelry and precious objects stolen from some very irate clients.  Zhu is somewhat beaten and released, but not before stealing Chen’s keys to the safe. 

Fortunately for Capt. Fang, he is known only by name and manages to play the part of a high rolling gambler with Jin playing the part of the bodyguard.  At the outset, Fang throws a fit accusing Su Yu Bao of cheating, he demands to see the boss and is successful at arranging a meeting. A fight ensues as Fang searches for evidence in Chen’s safe (which somehow happened to already be open…via spare key perhaps?)  Greatly outnumbered, Fang helps Jin escape, while he himself is captured. Jin returns “home” where he and Zhu are forced to collaborate in order to rescue Capt. Fang.

Gambling Syndicate runs a brisk 81 minutes.  There are fights galore, many are impressively long and uncut.  And while the scenes are not gory,  they are quite brutal.  Every blow from a fist, kick, chain, rod, wood plank, chair and cement barbell is felt, making for some action scenes that elicit a few ‘oohs and aahs.’  Yuen Cheung Yan and Yuen Woo Ping do a great job here choreographing, and Danny Lee has probably his best fight scene. By contrast, the story line is where perhaps some intervention is needed. While the change of heart is evident between Capt. Fang and two prisoners, there was almost nothing to justify this change other than a bit of dialogue exchange between the men who had just met.  This difficulty also weighed down the Chor Yuen crime feature: The Big Hold Up released in the same year.  The developing passion and sentiment just appear to be lacking for a trio of eclectic heroes who here now are willing to give their lives for one another.  Gambling Syndicate is not a terrible film; it does succeed in entertaining.  Besides making a passing statement of the corruption among law enforcement, it looks to draw a faint line separating the acts of criminals from those on the outside.  Look for familiar faces in the Shaw catalogue as extras and supporting cast members, including Lo Lieh in a very small role.

gambling syndicate poster.jpg

gambling syndicate.jpg

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 4

ShawAngela
23 minutes ago, morpheus said:

Gambling Syndicate (1975)

As Hong Kong developed economically under the control of Great Britain, it benefited considerably from the lax policies toward gambling.  As a result, these financial activities thrived, as did the increase in organized crime.  Various policies were later enacted over the decades that followed, leading to the passing of the Gambling Ordinance of 1977 which attempted to restrict organized gambling to limited outlets.  Released two years prior to the passing of this legislation, Gambling Syndicate reflects not so much the perspectives, but rather the lingering consequences of a questionable activity as such. 

Portions of the flashing still sit behind the opening credits as a jazzy nightclub theme blares in the background.  Here we are informally introduced to the three main characters of the story.  The tale begins in a red light district of what appears to be a typical town in the early 20th century. Solicitations,  bars and gambling joints dominate the landscape.  In one of these gambling halls we are introduced to Su Yu Bao (Hu Chin) , a new croupier at a Pai Gow table.  Her charm, skill -and looks no doubt- catch the eye of Third Boss Chiang Dao (Chiang Nan).  We also are witnesses that this house -like many- are involved in unscrupulous practices.

A note from an employee, Yuan Guo Wei, is passed to an underling who is to deliver the envelope to a man named Fang Da (Danny Lee Sau Yin) at the Yian Inn.  The note is intercepted by bodyguard Wang Cheng Ping (Wong Ching) however, and messenger is beaten and sent to the dungeon by Boss #1, Chen Tian Gui (Ku Feng). Yuan meanwhile, witnesses the capture and makes a futile attempt at an escape; it appears that he is killed.  Others seemingly involved in this “conspiracy” are weeded out and tortured for both information and the purpose of Fang’s presence in the district -which we later learn is to take down the gambling syndicate and the corrupt provincial officers accepting payoffs.  With the Chief of Police on payroll, Boss Chen has nothing to stand in the way of his opium smuggling business. 

Needling help to replace his diminishing assistance, Fang asks the prison warden (Lo Lieh) for two criminals -Zhu Jiu Shou (Cheng Kang Yeh) an expert thief and prison escapee, and the inhuman Jin Gang (Fan Mei-Sheng) who strikes fear in the prison guards and has a score to settle with Chen Tian Gui.  Both men are recruited on the premise that following the case, each will have earned their freedom. Assigned to Chen’s gambling hall, Zhu’s itchy fingers has him identified and caught -a search of his person behind closed doors, reveals a store full of jewelry and precious objects stolen from some very irate clients.  Zhu is somewhat beaten and released, but not before stealing Chen’s keys to the safe. 

Fortunately for Capt. Fang, he is known only by name and manages to play the part of a high rolling gambler with Jin playing the part of the bodyguard.  At the outset, Fang throws a fit accusing Su Yu Bao of cheating, he demands to see the boss and is successful at arranging a meeting. A fight ensues as Fang searches for evidence in Chen’s safe (which somehow happened to already be open…via spare key perhaps?)  Greatly outnumbered, Fang helps Jin escape, while he himself is captured. Jin returns “home” where he and Zhu are forced to collaborate in order to rescue Capt. Fang.

Gambling Syndicate runs a brisk 81 minutes.  There are fights galore, many are impressively long and uncut.  And while the scenes are not gory,  they are quite brutal.  Every blow from a fist, kick, chain, rod, wood plank, chair and cement barbell is felt, making for some action scenes that elicit a few ‘oohs and aahs.’  Yuen Cheung Yan and Yuen Woo Ping do a great job here choreographing, and Danny Lee has probably his best fight scene. By contrast, the story line is where perhaps some intervention is needed. While the change of heart is evident between Capt. Fang and two prisoners, there was almost nothing to justify this change other than a bit of dialogue exchange between the men who had just met.  This difficulty also weighed down the Chor Yuen crime feature: The Big Hold Up released in the same year.  The developing passion and sentiment just appear to be lacking for a trio of eclectic heroes who here now are willing to give their lives for one another.  Gambling Syndicate is not a terrible film; it does succeed in entertaining.  Besides making a passing statement of the corruption among law enforcement, it looks to draw a faint line separating the acts of criminals from those on the outside.  Look for familiar faces in the Shaw catalogue as extras and supporting cast members, including Lo Lieh in a very small role.

gambling syndicate poster.jpg

gambling syndicate.jpg

Great review, as usual. I watched it long ago, and I don't remember much, but I always felt that there were some missing elements in the movie, as Hu Chin seemed to act as if she had somethign to hide and worked for someone else, maybe the police, but then, she disappears for most of the plot, so, I was a little bit like "what exactly happens with her character"... or maybe I'm totally mistaken and I dreamt of a subplot involving Hu Chin... :)

• Like 2

morpheus
54 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Great review, as usual. I watched it long ago, and I don't remember much, but I always felt that there were some missing elements in the movie, as Hu Chin seemed to act as if she had somethign to hide and worked for someone else, maybe the police, but then, she disappears for most of the plot, so, I was a little bit like "what exactly happens with her character"... or maybe I'm totally mistaken and I dreamt of a subplot involving Hu Chin... :)

Hu Chin's character got a bit lost in the shuffle and the side story with her never really panned out.  She was supposedly involved with a small bunch of workers at the gambling hall to take it over.  However, it was never really clear as to who she was working for or the reason for wanting to overtake the hall.  After the short meeting she had which Zhu Jiu Shou overheard and used as leverage to get her to check on Capt. Fang, that plot just disappeared.  It probably wound up on the editing floor or just was forgotten.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 7:15 AM, ShawAngela said:

It seems to me that he has a more consistent role in Shaolin avengers, and also in Fist of fury 3, but I don't remember tohave seen him a the main lead/hero in a movie, which is a shame.

Was he the lead in Kung Fu Cook with Bolo Yeung?

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

ShawAngela
14 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Was he the lead in Kung Fu Cook with Bolo Yeung?

I'm not sure to have seen this movie, but hkmdb credits him in first position for this movie.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Disciples of the 36th Chamber...
Underrated. A lot of Lau Kar-leung's movies were focused on clang clang weapons stuff, which he was good at, but for me gets a bit old sometimes. This one highlights how incredibly crisp his hand-to-hand choreography had gotten in the mid 80s. (Along with the other two choreographers who worked on it--I don't know exactly who did which scenes. Well, whatever.)

He still had his eye for dynamic, cinematic camera angles.

Everyone involved looks good on screen. Every time Gordon Liu gives some mook a painful looking headbutt it's like pure cinematic crack cocaine for me.

Main character is slightly annoying and makes nothing but bad decisions the entire time, but that's fine, the plot has to happen. Narratively it works better than some of LKL's much more beloved 80s films like 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (which has the whole Alexander Fu Sheng plot thread that goes nowhere due to reasons beyond anyone's control). 

Absolutely bonkers final fight. This is apparently one of his less liked films. So I expected something... less good? Strong 9/10

Edited by SDJ
  • Like 3

randomiseallmytargets

This might be a surprise to alot of people in here but My Young Auntie of the Lau Kar-Leung comedy entries that i've seen this one this one is probably my favourite. The humour didn't feel as "off" or as crass as say Mad Monkey Kung Fu or Legendary Weapons from China. (although i like those 2 and the high points are of them are really high)

Great cast even greater fights, Kara Hui is incredible and i have to say that i do quite like Lau Kar-Leung as an actor 

the last 2 jokes in the movie, fantastic what a slap

also i'm gonna say it...i liked the dance number at the costume party, blame having a mother who liked Kung fu movies aswell as Rogers and Hammerstein lol

• Like 3

ShawAngela
48 minutes ago, randomiseallmytargets said:

a mother who liked Kung fu movies aswell as Rogers and Hammerstein lol

That's exactly me! I'm as fond of martial arts movies as musicals (the old ones, with tap dances, superb songs and colors and so on)!

• Like 3

randomiseallmytargets
4 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

That's exactly me! I'm as fond of martial arts movies as musicals (the old ones, with tap dances, superb songs and colors and so on)!

YES somebody understands, i remember watching Stanley Donen's Charade where there's a pretty solid fight scene on the roof and just thinking "yeah of fucking course he knows how to put together a fight scene, he's a musical director" lol

i have to know what's your thoughts on Paint your Wagon

• Like 2

ShawAngela
8 hours ago, randomiseallmytargets said:

Paint your Wagon

With Gene Nelson?

8 hours ago, randomiseallmytargets said:

Stanley Donen's Charade

The one with Sophia Loren? I'm not sure to have watched it.

• Like 2

randomiseallmytargets
7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

The one with Sophia Loren? I'm not sure to have watched it.

nah it's got Audrey Hepburn,Cary Grant, Walter Matthau & James Coburn

8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

With Gene Nelson?

nope Clint Eastwood & Lee Marvin

• Like 2

ShawAngela
4 hours ago, randomiseallmytargets said:

nah it's got Audrey Hepburn,Cary Grant, Walter Matthau & James Coburn

Ah, yes, I mistook Audrey Hepburn with Sophia Loren. I bought the DVD long ago, but I haven't watched it yet.

4 hours ago, randomiseallmytargets said:

nope Clint Eastwood & Lee Marvin

I must have mistaken this movie with Paint your wagon in blue, with Gene Nelson and maybe Virginia Mayo, if I remember well. Is this movie with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin a musical one?

• Like 2

randomiseallmytargets
43 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I must have mistaken this movie with Paint your wagon in blue, with Gene Nelson and maybe Virginia Mayo, if I remember well. Is this movie with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin a musical one?

yes it is, if you've heard the song "Wanderin' star" it's from paint your wagon

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 7/5/2024 at 11:48 PM, ShawAngela said:

Ah, yes, I mistook Audrey Hepburn with Sophia Loren. I bought the DVD long ago, but I haven't watched it yet.

you really have to watch CHARADE soon, it's amazing in every aspect

• Like 2
  • Love 1

ShawAngela
On 7/6/2024 at 12:35 AM, randomiseallmytargets said:

yes it is, if you've heard the song "Wanderin' star" it's from paint your wagon

Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood in a musical movie, I need to watch this!

• Like 2

ChillyChong
Posted (edited)

Lady Hermit...cheng pei pei and shih szu are in sparkling form and lo lieh who has bit smaller role than usually does great. Trio are on a mission to kill Black Demon but some troubles are around as both girls have warm feelings towards lo lieh.

Actionpacked movie and final 20 mins are incredible. Those who will see this first time like in Shawscope3 are in for a real treat

IMG_20240711_144853.jpg

IMG_20240711_145100.jpg

Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 5

morpheus
Posted (edited)

Iron Bodyguard (1973)

The Hundred Days’ Reform was a social-political movement in mid-1898 that looked to modernize and strengthen the culture and stature of China following its defeat in previous wars to Anglo countries during the Opium Wars as well as the humiliating loss to Japan in the Sino-Japanese engagement three years prior.  While the reform movement for the most part proved futile, it did pave the way for later changes as well as the eventual end of the Qing Dynasty. 

Occupying a two-dollar room in Hubei Province, a trio of men impatiently wait for the arrival of a fourth (Ricky Hui Koon Ying).  As the last member arrives, it becomes evident by their brief complaints that this is not a quartet looking for outsourcing services, but rather a bunch of petty thieves.  As the spoil from a recent purse snatch from General Chongs’ brother-in-law is divided, officials arrive to arrest the group members -bringing them to Commander Wen Ping (Chiang Nan)- who mercilessly beats them before making an arrest. The lone guilty member pleads for the release of the others claiming they were not involved in the theft.  While this request falls upon the deaf ears of the constables, it does attract the attention of Wang Wu  (Chen Kuan Tai) -the owner of a security company - who impedes the detainment process claiming that many wrongful arrests have recently been made.  A light exercise with Commander Pei Feng (Kong Do), reveals Wang to be a fighter of great skill, and his reputation in the town is one that garners utmost respect. Learning the truth, Wang asks that the lone thief face the consequence of his actions, and his request is granted.

Wang’s corrective act of fairness and compassion is noticed by Tan Si Tong (Yueh Hua) -the son of Hubei’s governor- while relaxing in a second floor restaurant. Tan invites Wang for a drink, but is politely refused.   As Wang arrives at his business, he is greeted by his concerned crew as an unknown man left a fist shaped hole in a marble table while waiting.  Wang also notices that the tea on the table has not been spilled, attesting to the martial skill of the departed stranger -one later revealed to be Iron Fist Yan Feng who looks to even the score of an incident with the security group during the previous year.

At the local brothel, there occurs a chance meeting between Wang and Tan, during an ambush by Yan Feng and his hirelings.  The two heroes easily manage to dispose of the four thugs.  In this brief exchange, it is apparent that both men hold things in common as neither are persuaded by money, have a strong sense of justice, a thirst for righteousness, and are committed to reforming the corruption in government.  In the coming time, Tan becomes one of four young reformists commissioned by the emperor “DeZong”, much to the chagrin of the old regime.  Political problems arise when the Empress Dowager presses against the reform policies which will diminish her power, and attempts to dismantle those who support it.  Tan meanwhile slips away and requests Wang for help in escorting certain officials safely out of the palace. While Wang sobers himself from a night of heavy drinking, he is informed of the arrest and certain execution of all members of the reform movement -including Tan Si Tong. 

Iron Bodyguard attempts to offer a chalice of respect to those that hunger for justice, while knowing full well the price may be costly.  It does so by honoring not only those high in office or stature, but also those who possess but a cup of water to offer.  And while it succeeds in this task, the feature takes almost half of the allotted frames to do so.  Perhaps this was felt necessary to inform the viewer of the historicity of the central storyline.  It is quite visible that a whole-hearted, painstaking attempt was made to develop the friendship between the two main leads; however,  in this undertaking, it dangles a bit off the end of the sword.  The screen time shared between Wang and Tan is not quite sufficient to establish a comradery, much less a deep friendship.  Their meeting is mirrored somewhat in Last Hurrah for Chivalry between Chang and Ching-Yi, but the ensuing relationship lacks the male-bonding element present in the John Woo early masterpiece that would follow some half-dozen years later.  Iron Bodyguard does succeed in a few respects, one of which places an emphasis that change often involves sacrifice and an unwillingness to accept this will never result in any improvements; and often, the efforts we make today may not be rewarded in our lifetime.

The casting choices, while excellent, cannot quite deter from the shortcomings of the scripting.  Chen Kuan Tai and Yueh Hua are excellent in their roles, as are Kong Do, Tung Lam, and especially Chiang Nan as the two-faced coward of an official.  Danny Lee Sau Yin balances the supporting cast as Wang Wu’s faithful sidekick, Hu Chi.  Tang Chia and Lau Kar Leung do an exceptional job at the choreography table -making full use of Chen Kuan Tai’s fighting skills. While not exactly part of the cream that rises to the top, Iron Bodyguard is also not the silt that sinks to the bottom and is still worthy of viewing, especially for the fight scenes.

Also of note: Fung Hak On is seen in two roles: one as a police official, the other as one of Wang Wu's men.

iron bodyguard poster.jpg

the-iron-bodyguard.jpg

Fung hak on 2.jpg

fung hak on 1.jpg

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

lilmanjs

Black Lizard

One of the shorter Shaw movies but packed with a very interesting story about devils, inhuman fighters and loads of twists and turns that play out so well! As always Chor Yuen made sure the sets were detailed and lush to the max. Loved the action as well and the underground hideout. Overall well acted and much good action.

• Like 5

ChillyChong

Clans of intrigue.

Mysterious weapon Magic Water has been stolen and Chu Liu Hsiang( Chu Yuan household man Ti Lung) must find culprit. Around is masked assassin and lots of other characters...This is one of directors lesser movies although it is not bad at all but somewhat average. Dialogue is at times silly, like 10-12 years old kids are talking. Cast is impressive with Li Ching, Nora Miao, Ku Feng and Yueh Hua(who looks really strange as bald).

Was first time viewing and inevitably revisit waits in Shawscope 3, I think dvd transfer was not good. At times picture is very dark.

Interviews in dvd were interesting, it was said Shaw studios were able to complete movie as fast as in 10 days!

• Like 4

morpheus
Posted (edited)

Murder Plot (1979)

What the heck was I watching? Convoluted waste of 94 minutes.

murder plot poster.jpg

murder-plot-1979-david-chiang-and-lo-lieh.webp

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 1