Max Zhang

AlbertV

SPL2+2015-14-b.jpg

I'm seriously becoming a fan of villain actor Max Zhang (aka Zhang Jin). I see this guy on the screen and I know there is going to be some exciting action on the way. He's got that look that defines major butt-kicking villain. 

He was born in Chungking on May 19, 1974 and was a wushu champion prior to entering the film business. He started as Zhang Ziyi's stunt double in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon before playing lead roles in the waning days of the straight-to-video movie circuit in Hong Kong. Credited as John Zhang back in the day, he had lead roles in films such as Chinese Heroes and Undiscovered Tomb. He would also do stunts for Zhang Yimou's Hero and appeared in films like Shaolin vs. Evil Dead (as the young version of Louis Fan's character), Kung Fu Fighter (with Vanness Wu and Louis Fan), and Wushu (with Sammo Hung).

In 2008, Zhang married Hong Kong actress Ada Choi Siu-Fan. 

His role as the villain in Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmaster was just the beginning of a promising career as Zhang would resort to playing villains. He plays the villain's main assassin in From Vegas to Macau, a villain in Rise of the Legend, and the main fighting heavy Ko Chun in SPL II: A Time of Consequences.

I can't wait to see him play a rival Wing Chun master in Donnie Yen's Ip Man 3

Here's his page on Hong Kong Movie Database: http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=18812&display_set=eng

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

He was great in The Grandmaster but disappointingly showcased in SPL II. Regardless, I think he's got charisma and enough acting skills (something I think Wu Jing is missing) to be pushed as the next big action star in China after Yen and will be looking forward to Ip Man 3.

• Like 1

been checking this guys work for a while  he has done some decent unknown china movies and his  4 films he has done for my way films with fan siu wong  have not been released yet

ada-choi-max-zhang.jpg

Last week, Max and wife Ada Choi celebrated their 9th wedding anniversary. Max is currently working on Made in Kowloon (aka The Man with the Dragon Tattoo) for director Fruit Chan. The husband and wife team will be working together in March on Jeff Lau's Ten-Ton Assassin, which will also co-star Andy On.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

An adorable photo of the Zhang family, posted by Max via WeChat. The family celebrated the 5th birthday of daughter Chloe.

Ada-Choi-daughters-2.jpg

• Like 1

Max with Yuen Woo-Ping at the Busan International Film Festival, where Master Z: Ip Man Legacy closed out.

1013-00282-019b2.jpg

Chrissie Chau, Yuen, and Max have a laugh

1eedc361b0bc7e14d38cfa4a8708e30e.jpg

• Like 2

Some old school Max Zhang, when he was John Zhang

ChineseHeroes+2004-2-b.jpgChineseHeroes+2004-31-b.jpg

Chinese Heroes (2001)

UndiscoveredTomb+2002-16-b.jpgUndiscoveredTomb+2002-5-b.jpg

Undiscovered Tomb (2003)

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2019 at 10:04 AM, AlbertV said:

Some old school Max Zhang, when he was John Zhang

He's still John Zhang on the HKMDB. Can anyone here who's a contributor decide whether or not that's worth updating?

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Max Zhang picked the wrong day to announce his new film. His next project will be an iQiyi exclusive and I’m pretty sure it got massively overshadowed by Donnie Yen’s announcements.

No English title yet, unless someone can translate.

IMG_1023.jpeg

• Like 2

Celebrating his 39th with wife Ada and the kids.

As far as that movie, I see one of the co-stars is Jiang Luxia who played machine gunner Tong Li in Operation Red Sea. She was bad ass in that movie and reminded me so much of Vasquez in Aliens. Hope she plays another rugged role in this flick.

001ol3LLgy1he3sl5iddrj62br1gx1ky02.jpg

• Like 2