Kickboxers from the Ring to the Screens

AlbertV

10 hours ago, HyperDrive said:

don.nakaya.neilsen_obit_20170907rgb.jpg

I didn't know he died. I thought he made a good villain in Blood Ring opposite Dale "Apollo" Cook.

• Like 3

DANAWHHITEandLouNeglia-418x315.jpg

Louis Neglia (seen here with UFC president Dana White) was a kickboxing champion during the 1970s. His skills earned him the big lead villain role in the Hong Kong martial arts pic A Hard Way to Die aka Sun Dragon, where he faced off against the duo of Willy "Billy Chong" Dozan and Carl Scott. After retiring from the ring, Neglia continued to teach martial arts from his dojo in Brooklyn and became a kickboxing promoter. His fights would exclusively be seen on ESPY-TV's Martial Arts World with Olando Rivera being one of his most well-known champions. 

imag001.jpg

Anthony "Amp" Elmore was a kickboxing champion in the late 70s and early 80's. He self-made a biopic about his career and kickboxing promoting in 1988 titled The Contemporary Gladiator, which Xenon Pictures later re-titled Iron Thunder. Elmore would eventually retire from the ring and become a devout Buddhist and carpet/flooring salesman. 

An update on one of the previous kickboxers: Dale "Apollo" Cook still resides in Tulsa, OK and is a local kickboxing/MMA promoter these days.

5706e7f5a3dc8.image.jpg?resize=1200,859

• Like 3

Samart Payakaroon has a funny scene in The Bodyguard (2004) starring Petchtai Wongkamlao aka Mum Jokmok.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

A lot of kickboxers had trouble doing a Hong Kong sort of choreography. Real punching is close and tight, not exaggerated like Kung Fu, etc. Don Wilson for one looked way, way better in the ring then on film. But you would want to f$ck with Don. He wrestled and did full contact, so he could have been in the UFC easily, like Bill Wallace (Wrestler and Judo Black Belt as well),  but the boxing style punches they used made them look, how should I say, more human than superhuman. I posted an article here before about Wallace working with Jackie and how they conflicted styles since he would not leave out his hand for Chan to do his "Wing Chun" thing, which is really just Chinese style blocks and parries, not "Wing Chun". I would say Benny could do either very well.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

A lot of kickboxers had trouble doing a Hong Kong sort of choreography. Real punching is close and tight, not exaggerated like Kung Fu, etc. Don Wilson for one looked way, way better in the ring then on film. But you would want to f$ck with Don. He wrestled and did full contact, so he could have been in the UFC easily, like Bill Wallace (Wrestler and Judo Black Belt as well),  but the boxing style punches they used made them look, how should I say, more human than superhuman. I posted an article here before about Wallace working with Jackie and how they conflicted styles since he would not leave out his hand for Chan to do his "Wing Chun" thing, which is really just Chinese style blocks and parries, not "Wing Chun". I would say Benny could do either very well.  

Benny The Jet Urquidez talks about his experience shooting Hong Kong films here, and how Jackie Chan was hyping up a "fight" between the two that practically lead to nothing beyond filming their fight scene:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZM_vjxJ1F-U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wuxiaman said:

Benny The Jet Urquidez talks about his experience shooting Hong Kong films here, and how Jackie Chan was hyping up a "fight" between the two that practically lead to nothing beyond filming their fight scene:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZM_vjxJ1F-U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My apologies, as I am still new to this forum and I wasn't sure how to share a YouTube video.

Hope this works:

• Like 4

A sad and somewhat insane update from 2020 before the pandemic. Cheryl Wheeler and her husband, Reed Sanders had died in Ohio in February 2020. She was 59.  The full details can be seen here and it's very strange considering the circumstances.

https://ysnews.com/news/2020/07/no-charges-in-grinnell-shooting

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

image.png

Asanee Suwan is a former Muay Thai champ whose 1st acting role was the real-life transgender kickboxer Nong Toom in Beautiful Boxer in 2004.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Cognoscente
On 10/17/2015 at 3:10 PM, AlbertV said:

Dennis Alexio was best known for playing Eric Sloane, Van Damme's brother in the original Kickboxer.

One of the Western fighters in Lucky Seven looks like him.

• Like 2