Can you think of one super star, male or female who never played a villain?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

bruce le was a bad guy in inframan wasn't he?

I haven't seen it, but I'll say this....

Everytime he imitated Bruce Lee, he was pretty bad. A villian, I say.

:)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

It seems as if Meng Fie so far is the ONLY one to play only a hero.

Is this true?

Billy Chong, yes he had only a handful of movies. I never saw him play a baddy.

Anyone else?

GD Y-Y

kungfusamurai

Is this true?

Billy Chong, yes he had only a handful of movies. I never saw him play a baddy.

Anyone else?

GD Y-Y

What about Chiang Sheng? Does him playing several different mongolian soldiers in Magnificent Wanderers count?

Jack Long - was he ever a baddie? Or Lo Rei?

What about the ladies? I'm not sure about Angela Mao. I think she might have played at least one evil role. Kara Hui hasn't played a baddie, as far as I can tell.

KFS

Morgoth Bauglir

Jack Long was a baddie a lot. That weird Shaolin movie with the monkeys and their trainer with the long tongues, Ninja Hunter, Five Fighters of Shaolin, Red Phoenix... Lo rei was kind of a baddie in No Guilty, and from the clips on youtube it looks like he is a bad guy in Promising Young Boy. And Angela Mao has like a cameo as a baddie in Snake Deadly Act.

What about Chiang Sheng? Does him playing several different mongolian soldiers in Magnificent Wanderers count?

Legend of the Fox :nerd:

Spot on Ensang and his character in Life Gamble was not good.Let's check on Meng Fei he seems to have a clean sheet but He is in Diamond Fight a modern day gangster flick starring Wang Tao and Chen Wai Man (a vicious killer in this one).Meng Fei is a rich affluent character in this film who has some underworld connections and though he is not seen committing any atrocities on screen,he is definitely involved in something fishy.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

How about Gordon Liu at Shaws?

Was he not a villain in some of the Taiwanese movies?

Jet Li did he ever play a villain?

GD Y-Y

I saw Fu Sheng mentioned as well.. has he been disproven as a good guy only?

He hasn't starred in that many movies, but how about Yuen Yat Chor?

How about Gordon Liu at Shaws?

Was he not a villain in some of the Taiwanese movies?

Jet Li did he ever play a villain?

GD Y-Y

Jet Li's villain parts was named earlier in this thread (Warlords, Lethal Weapon 4, The Mummy, War)

Gordon Liu was a villain in Marco Polo and Seven Man Army.

Though I haven't seen it, I think David Chiang was a bad guy in "The Pirate". Bruce Li had a few bit parts playing thugs in Joseph Kuo bashers ("Iron Man" and "Triangular Duel"). He was also a Japanese villain in "Macho Man".

Kara Hui hasn't played a baddie, as far as I can tell.

KFS

Though I have the move but have not seen it yet, I think she's a baddie in "Journey of the Doomed".

gravedigger666
Though I haven't seen it, I think David Chiang was a bad guy in "The Pirate".
No.....in film Chiang was high ranked officer of army and Ti Lung the pirate.Although on different sides neither was bad guy...Chiang was not so much villain in shaolin mantis either.

ironfistedmonk
David Chang was bad bad bad in Shaolin Mantis it was a plot from the villain's point of view the clansmen were the good guys.

It's not that clearcut IMO, yes David Chiang was working for the Ching but it was pretty much against his wishes, what's the guy gonna do they had his parents livelyhood (and lives) in their hands. The "good" guys in the family were not all cut and dry either, Tsui Siu Keungs character was a right little shite! This is why I like this film so much it completely twists the good guy/bad guy scenario on it's head so even though DC is working for an evil cause he is still good at heart and you can see the conflict within him.

Ok ironfistedmonk I'll get back to you on this one.Its a bit late now just put the kids to bed so I'll respond tomorrow.Good film though wonder how good it would have been if Gordon Liu had played David Chiang's Character and Wei Ying Hung played Huang Hsing Hsiu's role............hmmmmmm.

Fu Sheng is a bad guy in Chinatown Kid;Sun Chien is the good guy.Gordon Liu is also a bad guy in Tiger On The Beat and Kill Bill.By the way all the venoms have played bad guys.

bruce le was a good guy. think he was hypnotized or killed though...(in inframan...forgot to put title)

and man, Dragon, you sure do hate those lee imposters...haha

David Chiang is also a bad guy in The Duel.

You mean Rambler? He's IMHO not a baddie. He functions as an antagonist throughout most of the movie (though I can imagine that many people will identify with his character rather than Ti Lung's), but I wouldn't exactly call him a "bad guy".

Chinatown Kid

I guess you could call the Rambler/Rover a gangster with a sense of honor, kinda like Tan was in The Tattoo Connection.

Ok Ironfistedmonk here we go.

Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert!! Spoiler Alert!!!

Well the David Chiang character Wai Fung was vicious without a doubt.When he was first introduced,the Emperor asked him to try out the kung fu of the Mongolian Hero - Lee Hoi San and a Senior Monk - Gordon Liu.What did he do? he killed both of them during the fight.Why? was it gladiatorial? no just viciousness with no remorse and no concern about the consequences.Was he ordered to kill them? I don't think so? but this introduces us to the psyche of Wai Fung.

The Tien Clan/family household which Wai Fung infilterated;headed by Liu Chia Yung,supported by Lily Li,Wilson Tong,Tsui Sui Keung and John Chiang were not trouble makers but a reasonable and righteous clan sympathetic to the past glory and prosperity of the Ming Dynasty.Now everyone knows about the Chings/Qings/Manchu oppression;lets not even start.They were unpopular foreign invaders who overthrew the indigenous Chinese Ming Dynasty and ruled with an iron fist,brought economic woe on the Chinese nation and degraded the Chinese people for almost 270 years.

The Ching Emperor sent Wai Fung to infiltrate the Tien Clan and find out whether the Tiens might be collaborating with potential rebel groups.The Emperor then decreed a " Severe " penalty for Wai Fung's parents if he failed to return within 12 months.

Off goes our man who cunningly enters the household of the Tiens under the guise of a tutor to the Tien patriarch's innocent coquettish granddaughter Huang Hsing Hsiu - Gi Gi - whom he later deflowers,fornicates and manipulates.Good teacher.

It eventually comes to light that Wai Fung's secret mission is discovered.Too much was at stake for the Tien Clan so he had to be exterminated.Naive Gi Gi begged for his life which was granted by patriarch Liu Chia Yung provided Wai Fung marries Gi Gi on condition that Wai Fung remains on the premises for good or at least till the Tiens achieve their noble aim.Meanwhile rough justice was being given to Wai Fung's parents in the capital.

Without any thoughts about a better future for his country David Chiang's character who selfishly ignores the justice and hospitality of the Tien Clan and the sacrifice of his young wife steals the name list of the northern and southern clan who are preparing to reinstate the ousted Ming Emperor.Immediately Wai Fung then insists on visiting his parents in the capital with his treasured prize thinking that asking to take his wife Gi Gi along will allay suspicions.

This selfish act eventually caused his wife and mother's death.

When asked whether he intended to bring a large group of Ching troops on his return Wai Fung was tongue-tied.It was his loving dedicated wife who intervened.

Wai Fung had to go through " The Five Hurdles " in order to leave the Tien premises.Still the clan was lenient with him during the fight to get out as he would not have survived The Hurdles otherwise.All this time his conscience never got the better of him so he could reveal the truth to his dear wife.Is Wai Fung's 2 parents and his career worth more than the happiness of an entire nation?

Wai Fung escaped after hot pursuit but did not proceed to the capital simply because he hid the name list in his late wife's broach which was a wedding gift and a symbol of great love from her grandpa.Grandpa retrieved the broach which would have made Wai Fung's mission a success so instead of going to the capital and telling the Emperor the Tiens were clean as he hadn't got any evidence,he decided to practice Mantis Fist to combat Liu Chia Yung Shadowy Fist in order to get the broach back.

Wai Fung later ambushed a messenger,re-entered the Tien household showed no mercy to those who once spared his life and killed all the leaders of the Clan under the hypocrisy of avenging the death of his Wife and mother-in-law.Not forgetting that he blatantly admitted after snatching the broach from grandpa that the reason he came back was to take his prize;the name list.

Triumphant,Wai Fung was promoted and given honours by the Ching Emperor but hang on shouldn't David Chiang's character's father be over the moon about his son saving his life and pleasing the Emperor.This is the irony;the father poisons himself and his son,the curses his son saying what is his life in comparsion to the Great Ming Heroes - the Tien Clan - whom Wai Fung massacred? and that he - the father himself - had never been loyal to the Chings but had all along just been waiting for the right opportunity to overthrow the Ching regime and that he would rather die in this cause.Can you imagine the trauma a father would be going through to make such a brave decision about taking his only grown up son's life? Wai Fung's father's last words were " The Ming Heroes who opposed the Ching regime can never be entirely exterminated).Wai Fung the hyprocrite then decided to show the guards his deadly Mantis Fist on his way to hell.

What do you think would have happened had he successfully taken Gi Gi to meet the Emperor and everything unfolds in front of her eyes - poor girl.

If Wai Fung has any good in him then indeed Fang Shih Yu,Hung Hsi Kuan,Hu Hui Chien and all the rest of the Men From The Monastery are therefore the bad guys;the oppressors.

I can understand why people empathize with David Chiang's character in this film and the reason is they see and like David Chiang and a director has to try hard not to ruin a bankable hero's image especially a hot main leading man.How can a director do justice to Tom Cruise playing a nasty Nazi at the height of his career without affecting his image?

To end this,David Chiang's character Wai Fung in Shaolin Mantis is a real bastard in my opinion who deserves to rot in hell.

Bad guy The Rover in The Duel,you are next.I'm on your case.

ironfistedmonk

lol too long a post to read through properly mate XD

None of his roles are bad guy roles IMO, he may be walking on the wrong side of the tracks but he's never a bad guy IMO Why was the monk (Gordon Liu) in attendance at the Ching court anyway? and so willing to fight with DC's character, maybe because he was in cahoots with the Ching? The Mongolians are always bad guys so DC dispatched the villain again. I'm sure the Ming Patriots killed many innocent Manchurian people during the rebellion but by your logic they are still heroes. DC didn't want to go up against the patriots IMO but his filial piety which is very strong in Chinese tradition was at the forefront of his mind and he did what he thought best for his family. If you put yourself in DC's shoes then these Rebels are actually the bad guys anyway! This kind of differing opinion is why I love this film so much, it has a different impact on different people who see things from different perspectives.

As for DC's gangster roles in Bandit From Shantung and The Duel, he is always an honourable guy, he actually protects the innocent in The Duel and only fights the morally bankrupt characters. Again by your logic Robin Hood would have been considered a villain as he was an outlaw living in hiding and robbing passers by!

Morgoth Bauglir

Good question ekisha. I can't think of any right now, but there's a lot of movies in hs filmography I haven't seen.

Archived