Z Storm (2014) / S Storm (2016) / L Storm (2018) / P Storm (2018) / G Storm (2021)

DiP

Upcoming crime film by another Hong Kong veteran absent from the scene for many years, David Lam (The Powerful Four), and produced by Raymond Wong's (Ip Man movies) newly founded Pegasus Motion Pictures.

The film will depict the ICAC, Hong Kong’s 40-year-old anti-corruption body, in a three-way conflict among the police and the government and will be fictionalized than realistic. Production just wrapped today and release date is set to around Q3 of this year.

Source: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/filmart-pegasus-rides-in-with-z-storm-ip-man-3-1201142732/

One Armed Boxer

It's also been reported that hot on the heels of 'The White Storm', 'Firestorm', & the recently announced 'Z Storm'.....later this year will also see the release of 'Sh*t Storm', 'Storm in a Teacup', & most anticipated of all - 'Storm Justice' - in which Steven Seagal will reprise his role of Mason Storm from 'Hard to Kill'.

It's also been reported that hot on the heels of 'The White Storm', 'Firestorm', & the recently announced 'Z Storm'.....later this year will also see the release of 'Sh*t Storm', 'Storm in a Teacup', & most anticipated of all - 'Storm Justice' - in which Steven Seagal will reprise his role of Mason Storm from 'Hard to Kill'.

LOL!

Don't forget a remake of PURPLE STORM. And I think DC Comics is working on a FIRESTORM movie (not to be confused with Howie Long's FIRESTORM).

Anyways, good to see all these Veteran HK guys coming back!

This Lam cat hasn't made a film for 16 years!

It's also been reported that hot on the heels of 'The White Storm, 'Firestorm', & the recently announced 'Z Storm'.....later this year will also see the release of 'Sh*t Storm', 'Storm in a Teacup', & most anticipated of all - 'Storm Justice' - in which Steven Seagal will reprise his role of Mason Storm from 'Hard to Kill'.

HAHAHA, true story :xd:

Upcoming crime film by another Hong Kong veteran absent from the scene for serveral years, David Lam (The Powerful Four), and produced by Raymond Wong's (Ip Man movies) newly founded Pegasus Motion Pictures.

The film will depict the ICAC, Hong Kong’s 40-year-old anti-corruption body, in a three-way conflict among the police and the government and will be fictionalized than realistic. Production just wrapped today and release date is set to around Q3 of this year.

Source: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/filmart-pegasus-rides-in-with-z-storm-ip-man-3-1201142732/

Sounds like it could be a reboot/sequel to Lam's fictionalized film about the eventual formation of the ICAC, FIRST SHOT, which starred Ti Lung, Maggie Cheung, Simon Yam, Andy Hui (as sharpshooter Waterloo) and Lau Shek-Ming (as a martial artist/Bruce Lee fanatic who has a nice nifty fight scene against Bobby Yip during the climax)

I'm not too familiar with David Lam's work. He did a fantastic directorial debut with the Sammo Hung-produced drama film Goodbye Mammie as well as with Woman Prison (aka the female version of Prison on Fire) though.

First Shot IMO was enjoyable. Ti Lung plays a veteran cop who learns his partner, Simon Yam, betrayed him and almost kills him when he is revealed to work for Triad boss Faucet (Waise Lee). Months later, he is much better and learns Maggie Cheung wants to create an anti-corruption unit. They find two rookies, Andy Hui as a sharpshooter and Lau Shek-Ming as a martial artist who has a fun Bruce Lee-style fight against police trainer Jamie Luk.

Tony Leung Siu-Hung and Richard Hung (Yuen Tak) were the action directors on the film.

Plus...this is the film where in order to go undercover, Ti Lung enters a gay S&M bar decked out in full leather gear...made me laugh when I saw it!

Of David Lam's movies I saw THE FIRST SHOT, POWERFUL FOUR, ASIAN CONNECTION and MAGNIFICENT TEAM which are all entertaining but certainly no great films. ASIAN CONNECTION may be the best of the pack. Still looking forwart to Z-STORM.

Doesn't exactly rock my world. And as much as I love Hongkong-cinema I am starting to get really tired of the same few faces all the time.

I like a good urban thriller but agreed, it's looking like a local rep theatre, with the same actors over and over.

And why does Michael Wong still keep getting work?

Almost a month after my previous post, I think it's safe to say that no - this one stayed off everyone's must-watch list.
The BR only arrived at my house a few days ago. Gotta give people a week or two to find time to watch. :smile:

Thankfully though Kozo over at lovehkfilm did give it a watch, and as suspected, this is one to stay away from.
Personally I often find his reviews overly negative. That's not to say his site isn't valuable, just that his reviews are opinions like anyone else's would be.

I also have the Blu-ray, I picked it up in HK on my way back to NYC. Also got That Demon With (BR), The Four II (3D), Iceman (3D), 7 Assassins (BR) and a few other stuff.

Have yet to watch any of them - too busy.

The wife is planning another trip to Asia for early next year, I think I will have to stop buying and save up. :bigsmile:

Thought it was OK for what it was, a financial crime drama. If you need an action set piece every seven minutes, this film is not for you. There are some good twists, some good drama, Michael Wong being slimy, etc. etc. There was enough to keep me entertained, but not enough for me recommend the film.

There is a key subplot late in the movie which is pretty dumb, and perhaps the story would have been better told as a TV miniseries, but I don't get the hate for the film in the review.

If I hated as high a percentage of HK films as Kozo does, I would have stopped watching them altogether long ago. Life's too short to spend so much time hate watching.

.........If I hated as high a percentage of HK films as Kozo does, I would have stopped watching them altogether long ago. Life's too short to spend so much time hate watching.
Well said.

If I hated as high a percentage of HK films as Kozo does, I would have stopped watching them altogether long ago. Life's too short to spend so much time hate watching.

Maybe he just loves to hate them.

One Armed Boxer

It's been announced that Well Go USA will be releasing the Blu-ray & DVD of 'Z Storm' stateside on August 18th.

I think he's just coming across as being sarcastic when pointing out bads toward what he watches. Other than that, his writing is admirable. Always brings depth and details into his statements of what he considers being good and bad. I think as a reviewer, that's why you should be to give readers ideas of what to expect, and then later on give certain films your own conclusions.

As for this film, I've yet to watch it but the current crop of ambitious HK crimers in recent years have turned me off a bit. Most of them seem the same somehow, I dunno.

One Armed Boxer
Well Go USA is releasing the film on Blu-Ray and DVD in the U.S. on August 18.

Post #20....

Louis Koo and Julian Cheung have shot the film S Storm for director David Lam. I'm guessing this is the sequel to Z Storm, but can't really confirm it. However, Koo is playing an ICAC officer again and Z Storm did leave room for a sequel so I could put 2 and 2 together. This marks the first time since The Suspect that Louis and Julian have worked together but they were praised for their chemistry as Koo's ICAC officer and Cheung's CID officer join forces to find a wanted criminal.

Here's a photo of them on the last day of filming.

chilam-cheung-louis-koo.jpg

whitesnake

Louis Koo played ICAC agent William Luk Chi Lim again in S Storm (aka Z Feng Bao II).  It's now 2018 and Louis Koo returns as William Luk in L Storm (aka L Feng Bao).  Julian Cheung again plays CID officer Lau Po-Keung.  David Lam again directs.  L Storm gets a Hong Kong theatrical release on August 24, 2018.

There's more.  Chinesemov.com lists P Storm (aka Fa Tan Feng Bao 4 aka P Feng Bao) in the works.  It's directed by David Lam, and stars Louis Koo and Julian Cheung. "With Louis Koo looking increasingly bored with each new installment until P Storm where he'll completely check out mentally."  Comment is from https://twitter.com/i/web/status/899561511542292480 

While Z Storm got a North American release on Blu-ray and DVD from Well Go USA, it doesn't look like any company picked up the sequel, S Storm, for North American Blu-ray or DVD release.

The latest L Storm action trailer is here -  

Poster for P Storm - does William Luk finally run out of luck? - 

P Storm Movie Poster, Pé¢¨æ´ 2018 Chinese film

• Like 1