Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

AlbertV

The third installment of the Thor film series is not scheduled for release until November of 2017, but some reports involving the film have come up:

• A director has been chosen and it is New Zealander Taika Waititi, best known for the series Flight of the Conchords.
  • Christopher Yost has been hired to write the screenplay, which is believed to be very dark as Ragnarok is the Nordic version of the Apocalypse. 
  • This is a major rumor: Mark Ruffalo might be appearing in this as Bruce Banner/The Hulk. According to a recent report on Dark Horizons, Hulk and Thor would go on some sort of cosmic road trip and run into The Valkyries, which would allow some major female roles with Valkyrie and possibly Enchantress. 

The first two are confirmations but the third is simply speculation right now. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

Thor AND Hulk ?! Count me in if it's the case, this alone sounds better than the first 2 films.  :D 

Secret Executioner

dancing-homer.gif

I having a feeling the Hulk's story arc (especially its conclusion) from Age of Ultron could lead to interesting stuff - and this involving Thor could lead to some epic stuff. 

Yes, Ruffalo has a feeling that while it will be somewhat of a buddy action film with Hulk and Thor, he thinks at some point, the two will have their rematch from The Avengers. LOL

Chris Hemsworth recently talked about that compared to The Dark World, Ragnarok is going to have somewhat of a lighter tone, which is why Taika Waititi, whose known more for comedy, has been hired to direct the film.

"I think it needs to be injected with that sort of smart wit and unexpected kind of humor, kind of what James Gunn came in and did with Guardians [Of The Galaxy]. It was like off center and unpredictable and I think we can definitely use a dose of that, you know.

We've done regal. We've done Shakespeare, and we've shown that. I think now it's time to go, 'Ok, cool. Let's try something different,' and Taika just had such a brilliant sort of take and funny kind of ideas about where we could, how we could do that."

Plus Mark Ruffalo, who is returning as Bruce Banner/The Hulk for the film, said that it's been described as somewhat of a "buddy road trip" movie.

Secret Executioner

Considering The Dark World wasn't that dark - courtesy of Nathalie Portman's obnoxious sidekicks and some ridiculous bulls*** -, this announcement isn't really good news - I'm sure there was a way a Thor/Hulk movie could have been epic... Plus, it could feel strange to have Thor and Hulk in something that sounds like Planes, Trains & Automobiles while the other superheroes will be involved in what could be the darkest Marvel film so far.  :squigglemouth:

ShaOW!linDude

Agreed. In Norse mythology, Ragnarok is a major and heavy event. It ought to keep some of the regal Shakespearean gravity, and I'm sure it will. It's interesting that the Hulk is being thrown into the mix. I think it'll pan out. Granted, I don't want a "buddy road trip" movie from this either. But putting the big green guy in Aesir up on the big screen? Oh yeah, bring that on!

Hulk: Where's your hammer?

Thor: Mjolnir is safely secreted betweeneth 2 pillows.

Hulk: Those aren't pil...HULK SMASH!!!!

(Hmmm, maybe it could work.)

Synopsis:

Imprisoned on the other side of the universe, the mighty Thor (Chris Hemsworth) finds himself in a deadly gladiatorial contest that pits him against the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), his former ally and fellow Avenger. Thor's quest for survival leads him in a race against time to prevent the all-powerful Hela (Cate Blanchett) from destroying his home world and the Asgardian civilization.

Jeff Goldblum will play the Grandmaster; Tessa Thompson is Valkyrie; Karl Urban is Skurge; and Benedict Cumberbatch reprises his role of Dr. Strange.

On 4/10/2017 at 9:38 AM, Karlos said:

First teaser trailer is out (and it looks pretty darn good):

Best reaction to the Hulk ever from the God of Thunder! That had me rolling!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Holy shit balls on a pogo stick! This looks loads of fun!! It almost has that Guardians of the Galaxy vibe to it based on the trailer. It also sure does look better than the previous installments, what a bore fest that was. 

ShaOW!linDude
10 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Holy shit balls on a pogo stick! This looks loads of fun!! It almost has that Guardians of the Galaxy vibe to it based on the trailer. It also sure does look better than the previous installments, what a bore fest that was. 

My wife said the same thing.

The Guardians of the Galaxy comparison that is.

Not the "sacred dung spheres on a children's spring-coiled metal rod with handles" exclamation.

Just to be clear.

The Kurgan himself, Clancy Brown, is the voice of Surtur, who you see Hulk going towards at the end of that trailer. Director Taika Waititi did the mo-cap movements for the character.

Very entertaining, funny and action-packed, this is way better than the two previous Thor films.

Ragnarok is both the story and an apt metaphor for changing gears within Thor's world in a post GOTG Marvel universe.

Not the seismic change some critics are calling it, but there is a real dose of knockabout humor and attitude that the franchise sorely needs.

You nerds will love it.

I'm taking my son to see this tonight and I will post a full review on my blog when we return home.

I genuinely think this is the best Marvel film so far. Incredible action, great characters and some genuine laughs. Enjoyed the hell out of this one.

ShaOW!linDude

Took the family to see it Saturday. We all loved it. Great throwdown between Hulk & Thor! And my fear that the use of Led Zepplin's Immigrant Song would only be a snippet for promotional use was undercut by its lengthy use in a great battle scene. My 10 yr old daughter couldn't stop humming it long after the movie was over. Marvel delivers another fun flick!!!!

Archived