The Challenger (2015) - Proof of Concept Short Film for Feature Length Kung-Fu Movie

SMK

The brother Andy Le of the Martial Club, is getting down and doing his thing here. 36 STYLES officially sponsors the Martial Club, you will see why when viewing this video! We encourage everyone to check out this video on YouTube, click the Thumbs Up button, and subscribe while you're there. Show your support for these young kung fu brothers! It's the Shaolin way!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

This new short film from Vietnamese-American director Bao Tran stars Andy Le and Ken Quitugua in a stand alone fight scene, which has been shot as a proof of concept short with the goal of making it into a full length feature.  Check it out below - 

ShaOW!linDude

Solid choreography. Nice to see some classical shapes and footwork there. I'd peg it 95% hands and 5% feet. Hopefully there'll be more kicks in the film. I"m a bootman.

One Armed Boxer

I considered it worth posting, but for me personally, based on those 7 minutes would I watch a full feature?  My answer would be no.  Same old story, and it's the one that applies to the countless arguments of "There's so much kung-fu talent on mainland China, the genre doesn't have to be dead!"  For me both performers clearly have martial arts talent, but was there a sense of screen presence or personality?  No, and if you don't have those, you're not going to make an engaging movie.  The perfect example is Chin Kar Lok, the guy could be argued to be more talented on screen than Jackie Chan on the action front, but give him a movie in which he's the lead....he barely registered.

I love Andy Le and Ken Quituga (one of the stars from Unlucky Stars). They're both awesome. I don't think the short film showed enough, but since I've seen their other work, I'd definitely support this project anyway. It looks stylish and the fight choreography was awesome, and that's all I can really ask for.

Looks great for a proof of concept, but I'm curious if they would have more screen presence in a feature length film.

Archived