Samurai-Ninja Favorites

Guest Tosh

I don’t believe we’ve ever had a Samurai/Ninja favorites here, lets say top 5, and favorite new (feel free to put the new ones in your top 5).

1 - Seppuku (Tatsuya Nakadai is brillant in this, when it comes down to it, a movie about a Samurai that was robbed of everything he loved)

2 - Yojimbo (Toshiro Mifune’s definitive role, spawned a couple of the best Westerns ever, great score)

3 - Sword of Doom (Who cares if the ending doesn’t make sense, Nakadai hacking down a hundred Samurai in a insane rage is as good as any ending in the history of film)

4 - Lone Wolf and Cub (pick one)

5 - Seven Samurai (Kurasawa classic!)

New - Ronin Gai, as much as I love Sanada’s Twilight Samurai, you can’t beat the last 15 minutes of this.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Tenchu

Goyokin

Yagyu Clan Conspiracy (Shogun's Samurai)

Harakiri

Kill!

LWOC (series)

Sword Of Doom

Sword Of The Beast

Makai Tensho

Samurai Wolf

Some of my absolute favs. Cant pick just five, all are interchagable depending on what your in the mood for.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

All the above are awesome. Some of my faves would be:

The Betrayal (one of Ichikawa Raizo's best)

Sword Of Doom (who can deny this film)

Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo

Zatoichi Meets the One Armed Swordsman

Goyokin (awesome film)

The Throne Of Blood

Zatoichi / Blind Swordsmans Vengeance

Sleepy Eyes Of Death / Sword Of Adventure

Sleepy Eyes Of Death / Sword Of Satan

Lone Wolf And Cub / White Heaven In Hell

Tenchu (this ones got a bad ass ending)

Like GwaiLoMoFo says there are plenty to choose from depending on your mood.

Guest fabhui

It's hard to narrow it down to just 5 but here are some of my absolute faves:

1. Harakiri

2. When The Last Sword Is Drawn

3. The Betrayal

4. Sword Of Doom

5. Goyokin

Guest strutr74

WOW, Impossible to pick a 5 list. Mine changes all the time but for today it would be these:

1.INCIDENT AT BLOOD PASS- LOVE THIS ONE, EVEN THO THERE ARE BETTER FILMS OUT THERE.

2.GOYOKIN

3. HIDDEN FORTRESS

4.WHIRLWIND

5.SWORD OF THE BEAST

All great movies here, screw top 5, just list your favorites, maybe we can get a sticky on this for people on the fandom that want to start watching Samurai flicks.

Guest Chen Zhen

whats goin on guys? no love for Sanjuro???

in no order:

1/Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades

2/Yojimbo

3/Sanjuro

4/Lady Snowblood

4.5/Kill Bill Vol. 1 (syke!, jus playin)

5/Seven Samurai

Guest beardy82
maybe we can get a sticky on this for people on the fandom that want to start watching Samurai flicks

I 2nd that great idea :smokin

Guest Yakuza954

Harakiri

Seven Samurai

Lone Wolf And Cub Series

Three Outlaw Samurai

Assassination

Samurai Rebellion

Sword of the Beast

Hidden Fortress

Kill!

Samurai Wolf

Yojimbo

Sword of Doom

Guest strutr74

Add TENCHU to the list. WOW great movie!!!!

Next up RISE AGAINST THE SWORD, THE KISARAGI SWORD AND, ANASATSU:hat

I'll have to add Shinobi No Mono(1962), if there's a better ninja movie out there, someone please tell me!

And I'll second Tenchu, Katsu was awesome in this movie.

Shinobi No Mono is awesome. I haven't watched this one for a few years. It seems to be out of print on DVD. Thank god I got one if that's the case. Zoku Shinobi No Mono is great too.

Guest strutr74

Ninja 1 is still on dvd I believe? But it's only the HORRIBLE chinese version( Which I have>: ) I need to get the remastered fan subbed one, Might be a better viewing for me personally? And why your at it how about the French dvd of THE BETRAYAL-need that too:D

I have the MEI AH version of both films I had mentioned. They are literally pristine presentations of the film. The picture and sound quality are both excellent.

Isn't there like 5 films, or more even, to the Shinobi No Mono series?

Guest jmungus

im shocked nobody has mentioned the hottest modern samurai flick around: GOJOE SENKI

great mood, great acting, great action & flawless direction.

movies like yojimbo are exciting ageless masterpieces of film; and stuff like mibu gishi den can move me deeply, but nothing compares to the raw eerie power of gojoe- the BEST!! :D

Guest fabhui
I need to get the remastered fan subbed one, Might be a better viewing for me personally? And why your at it how about the French dvd of THE BETRAYAL-need that too

I can sort you out with the remastered SHINOBI NO MONO DVD mate on our next trade if you want. I want to upgrade my copy of THE BETRAYAL too so if you get your hands on the French DVD give me a shout!!

Guest strutr74

sweet fabe. I've got the MEI AH versions which like posted above are excellent transfers, but the re-sub titling to fit the chinese market-BLOWS. I Don't know of any ninja named Chen:lol . Their not as bad as the Akira flicks. Those are basically unwatchable to me. The subs might be the worst ever. Throne of Blood ect... are just ruined. The only way to get these proper is to get the Criterion dvds. But that gets a little pricey:D Samurai Spy, Throne of Blood , RAN , Chushingura, and Samurai 3 then I should be complete on my Criterions:D

Guest fabhui

Just watched TENCHU last night, that movie has got to be up there with the best of them!!!:eek

Then first thing this morning at about 6:00am I watched BRUTAL TALES OF CHIVALRY 2: THE CHINESE LION & PEONY TATTOO, superb movie and once again Takakura Ken was as cool as a cucumber!

I'm loving these Japanese / Samurai movies!! :smokin

Guest strutr74

Awesome Fabe, Send over your new list. I'm headed out with a resend to you tomorrow so might as well make it 2 packages;)

Archived