Sword Devil

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Very solid entertaining flick starring Ichikawa Raizo. First of all, the cinematography is simply amazing!! Japanese filmakers were definitley second to none in this department in the 50's-70's. THe fight choreography was solid as was Raizo. Starting to appreciate him a bit more as I see more of his films. Still not near the same level as Nakadai, Wakayama, Mifune, Chiba or Shintaro (IMO). Maybe to me he lacks the intimidating physical pressence of those other actors. But he is still a very good actor. I liked his characters super running ability :eek . Those scenes were highlights for me.The final showdown was very welldone. With how open ended the ending was, I wondering if they were planning a sequel? 4/5 for me.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

GwailoMoFo,

Agreed on all points but Ichikawa. I know what you mean by lack of an intimidating presence, but he still delivers when it comes down to it. The Betrayal (the ending is undeniable) also Sleepy Eyes Of Death / Sword Of Adventure (if you have'nt seen this yet you'll be in for a little surprise). SEOD Sword Of Satan is pretty grim for Ichikawa. I hear ya, and understand what your referring to, but I think Ichikawa Raizo is one of the greats along side the above mentioned.

By the way, where'd you get your copy?

Just curious.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
By the way, where'd you get your copy?

I got it in a recent trade with venom10463. Much to my suprise (and joy) it was the remastered French version w/eng subs. VERY nice quality. And "The Betrayal" is deffinitley next on my most wanted Samurai flix list. There is also a remastered French release of "The Betrayal" as well (thats the one Im after). I recently actuired some of the SEOD movies as well, looking forward to watching them. I havent seen much Raizo yet, so I have a bunch of his films on deck to watch.

Guest strutr74

Small world, i think I'm the one who Venom got his from in a recent swap..LOL

Great quality dvd. I have the old " Betrayal dvd" But searching for the new remastered one as well. The ninja spies have it for sale but I WILL not by an offical release from someone who claims " They" made the dvd themselves.:lol

On another note. Dishnetwork just aired-BANDITS VS. SAMURAI SQUAD

and HUNTER IN THE DARK

In Hi-Def as well. I see these are already making the "For Sale rounds too":rolleyes

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
The ninja spies have it for sale but I WILL not by an offical release from someone who claims " They" made the dvd themselves.

I found a copy of the remastered "The Betrayal" dvd on ebay for $12 delivered. But questioned the seller on the specs and he was actually truthfull and said it was a copy taken from the French release, but w/eng subbs. Apparently the French disc doesnt have Eng subbs??

Guest Yakuza954

None of the french releases have subs, its a rights issue. So a couple sites have been subbing them.

This movie is the one where the main character's dad is claimed to be a dog, right? Looks like I'll be giving it the first negative review because I don't remember liking it. The cinematography was good, but the movie was just lacking in all other aspects. The choreography and acting looked like one of the stiffer Shaw wu xia efforts, and the movie seemed to delve into the supernatural in order to make up for the uninspired direction. It especially seemed weak in comparison to the samurai films Kurosawa, Moyabashi and Gosha were making at the time. Also, did anyone else feel the main character's transformation to evil was way tooo fast? It's hard to imagine Kenji Misumi would be making Lone Wolf and Cub only 7 years later because this movie is 20 years behind the curve.

Guest strutr74

Yeah, A few have been subbed by some french/english fans. I'm sure a few have been subbed by " Sites" But on a few you'll notice some slang french/english translations. I guess during the subbing part the French guys didn't know the exact english words translated. So they just made up something? I'm watching and I'm like " what the hell" :lol

Guest Yakuza954

I haven't seen any of the translations done by french people that you're talking about. All of the ones I've gotten from these "sites" have had near-perfect translations. Maybe the ones you're talking about were auto-translated from the french subtitles on the French release? Or maybe they're just your typical, regular subs that have a few faults? Really if there's ONLY a bit misplaced slang then thats nothing to complain about as I've seen worse subs on official DVD's. Or it could be much worse, like Chinese movies, which don't even have a fansubbing community to begin with.

On another note. Dishnetwork just aired-BANDITS VS. SAMURAI SQUAD

and HUNTER IN THE DARK

In Hi-Def as well. I see these are already making the "For Sale rounds too"

Yeah, except they're not from the Dish Network broadcast you saw. They're from the Hideo Gosha box set that was released in France a couple months ago.

Guest strutr74

Shoot, I'm not complaining at all. I can take a few " slangs words. The only Sub dvd that has the major problems is the Wicked Priest dvd. The subs run of the pic, so some of the words are cut off. No biggie tho, still a great flick.

Not sure on the Gosha set. don't have it. I think dish is running the soon" hopefully" Bandits Crieterion, And I'm not sure where they got Hunter? I Don't think they got a" Fan job" in true Hi-def. Unless the Gosha Set are subbed and in Hi-def????

Archived