FYI Wicked Priest #1

Guest KevinClo

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Thanks for the trailer link KevinClo. Looks interesting I may end up getting that pretty soon.

Do you know how the Mute Samurai 1st and 6th films are? Shintaro Katsu's in each of them and I believe I remember seeing Tomisaburo Wakayama starring in this series as well.

Have you seen any Mute Samurai films?

As far as I know this is the first time that anywhere in the world (including japan) has had part one. It has just been released officially in France with french subtitles and so they must have done a fan sub job on it (i think!). Therefore i don't think part 2 wil be available anywhere at the moment. These first 2 films appear to have been lost films but hopefully now that 1 has been released part 2 will follow soon. Personally I've been avoiding buying the 3,4,5, installments despite starring the legendery wakayama becuase I hate watching incomplete things.

Guest kungfusamurai

3,4,5 stand up on their own. I didn't feel I needed to see the first two flicks to appreciate those last three. I hope HK Video, which released the first part in France will put out the others in the series on DVD as well.

KFS

Guest johnnydragon

i'm waiting for 1 to come before i watch 3,4,& 5 im not as knowlegable in samurai, as i am in old school kung fu! but i

was told they were lost. never heard about the french

release, after watching the trailer i ordered that and lantern

street was tempted to order devil sword as well

it wasn't made not to watch #1 if it not available in the states to me it's a custom dvd. if it has legitamate release

then it a bootleg IMO.

i buy orig dvd's from

celes-shaws to support there remastering. is there a site were i can get and support a remasterer of samurai movies??

Guest kungfusamurai

The series is done as a semi-comedy, by the way. So don't be too put off if it's not serious like the Lone Wolf & Cub series.

KFS

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just watched this film vol.1

Awesome film! Highly entertaining!

Tomisaburo Wakayama is so much like his brother (though completely his own breed of the family genes) Shintaro Katsu. It's f%$#ing great seeing him go off Lone Wolf with a sense a humor style!

Guest kungfusamurai

I checked out Wicked Priest 1 (just scanned through it quickly). It's too bad there isn't any sword fighting, as far as I could tell. If you're looking for Wakayama Tomisaburo to swing his katana like in the later films in the same series, you might be disappointed. I find the fighting to be more like an early version of the Streetfighter/Sonny Chiba style violence, with eyes being gouged and people spitting up their miso soup when punched in the stomach.

I still think Wakayama is the Japanese version of Sammo, in terms of doing is own flips and stunts. The guy is a physical phenom. He also uses a bit of jujitsu in the Wicked Priest film. However, I'd say based on fighting ability alone, he's way ahead of Sammo. No one can use a katana like Wakayama, who even outclasses his brother Shintaro Katsu, who is an awesome swordfighter too!

KFS

Archived