Carter Wong

FrankBolte

No prob. I'm sure that there are a few that haven't.

I'm sure there is, maybe say but thanks anyway would have bin better?

• Like 1

Jesse Smooth
I'm sure there is, maybe say but thanks anyway would have bin

No problem at all. But off topic for a minute: It seems like genuine kung fu schools like the one Carter had are very hard to come by these days. Seems like all the "kung fu" schools are either wushu, Shaolin-Do or some type of doctored up kenpo. Any comments?

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

I personally quite like Carter Wong, he kicks ass and has a cool "don't f*** with me" screen prescence. Shame his Angela Lansbury impression in Born Invincible is going to haunt him for ever!

Incidentally, the callusses on his right hand can be seen in close-up on the 1974 documentary Kung Fu Killers

• Like 1

Thank you Frank Bolte for the thread, and thank you Jesse Smooth for posting the interview with Carter Wong. I love it when someone who has intimidated me for years, turns out to be a very nice man and obviously a wonderful teacher who cares for his students. The first time I saw him was in "Marco Polo", in the theater when it came out, and he fights like a possessed animal with such ferocity, he really made an impression on me, 'this guy is intense'. Bless his heart.

It may not be a great movie, but the action, done by Hsieh Hsing and Chan San Yat, is very exciting.

post-1078-144191886296_thumb.jpg

Liu Chia Hua and Carter Wong, Marco Polo, 1975

post-1078-144191886298_thumb.jpg

Wang Lung Wei, Carter Wong, Leung Kar Yan and Liu Chia Hua (in background), Marco Polo, 1975

post-1078-1441918863_thumb.jpg

Liu Chia Hua and Carter Wong, Marco Polo, 1975

• Like 1

One of the first major actors I really enjoyed watching, was definitely Carter Wong. With movies like Born Invincible, The 8 Masters, and the Bronzemen movies, he was indeed one of my favorites to watch when I first got into the scene.

• Like 1

Don't forget Big Trouble in Little China!

Hey Michael, funny you bring up Big Trouble in Little China. I don't know if you noticed, but when you go to your 'User Control Panel' click on the 'Profile' tab, select 'Edit avatar', click on 'Display Gallery', in the Categories section, select 'Kung Fu Male Stars' ....

You will see a BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA avatar available for use! :bandit

It would of been easier if I would of just posted the image in this post... hahahah :rofl

• Like 1

Carter Wong made his debut with Mao Ying in Hapkido (1971). I first saw Carter Wong in Marco Polo (1975) where he fights like a savage animal, and it is a very exciting sequence indeed.

post-60-144199712869_thumb.jpg

I have Shaolin Kung Fu Mystagogue (1976) and Rebel of Shaolin (1977), with the always villainous Chang Yi in both as well, and they are certainly good films to watch.

• Like 1

Carter Wong, as the man is actually a master level martial artist, I have long thought of as one of the best old school guys. The Bronzemen series and Born Invincible, among others, are classics.

You know, there's the story that Bruce Lee was showing Bob Wall and Chuck Norris around the GH studios and Carter Wong happened to be on some set (I forget what film) choreographing the action. Well, Bruce proceeds to tell Bob and Chuck, in very loud English, that he thinks that what's going on is crap. Carter Wong stopped what he was doing, and looked Bruce dead in the eyes. Everybody on the set shut the hell up, and some tense seconds passed... Then Bruce just smiled, and walked off.

Thus, in HK I used to here it said that Carter Wong was the only man who ever stared Bruce down.

(The story might be apocryphal - I guess only Buddha knows.)

• Like 2

Carter Wong, as the man is actually a master level martial artist, I have long thought of as one of the best old school guys. The Bronzemen series and Born Invincible, among others, are classics.

You know, there's the story that Bruce Lee was showing Bob Wall and Chuck Norris around the GH studios and Carter Wong happened to be on some set (I forget what film) choreographing the action. Well, Bruce proceeds to tell Bob and Chuck, in very loud English, that he thinks that what's going on is crap. Carter Wong stopped what he was doing, and looked Bruce dead in the eyes. Everybody on the set shut the hell up, and some tense seconds passed... Then Bruce just smiled, and walked off.

Thus, in HK I used to here it said that Carter Wong was the only man who ever stared Bruce down.

(The story might be apocryphal - I guess only Buddha knows.)

That's a great story! Even if it turns out to be untrue, it's very entertaining.

I've never been disappointed by Carter Wong in a film. I seemed to particularly enjoy his performance in The Magnificent.

• Like 1