Who are your top five acrobats of kung fu cinema?

kokuryuha

This is a topic that I'd bring up often as teenager because me and my pals used to flip and tumble with them in mind. I put it to top five to minimize the list being cluttered with unnecessary names. Who are your favorites and who do you think are the best?

1. Philip Kwok Chow Fung aka Kuo Chui. (This guy does his thing in Marco Polo and Sword stained with royal blood and practically all of his appearances in Shaw Bros flicks.Lar Kar Leung recommended him to Chang Cheh. The rest is history. A power Tumbler able to do sequences of somersaults flat footed. Lizard indeed!)

2. Yuen Biao The kung fu wonder boy (Seriously, just watch Knockabout and Dragons forever. This guy had my jaw drop too many times!)

3. Ricky Chen Tien Chi of the Baby Venoms (Check him out in Shanghai 13 and Dancing Warrior as well as Weird Man and Nine Demons. He was nicknamed The Monkey King in his Peking opera school. It shows in his movements.)

4. Hsiao Hou aka Siu Hao (It would've been a crime not to mention him! It's no surprise why Lau Kar Leung took him under his wing. Watch Mad monkey of kung fu And Lady is The Boss. He'll have you screaming for an Encore!)

5. Xiong Xin Xin aka Hung Yan Yan Alias "Clubfoot" (You can't argue this guy's place on my list. He's the reason why Jet Li looked so good in The Once upon a time in China series. He doubled for him! Not to mention other actors as well. Lau Kar Leung also spotted him and he was involved the many of the HK movies as a stuntman, choreographer, and actor. He's

fought with some of the best and doubled for some of them too. It's sad that he was never the star of his own movie. He could do practically anything on wires or off.)

Honorable mentions: Chiang Sheng, Jack Long, and Li I Min.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Kuo Chui  (Makes it look so easy.)

Ricky Chien Tien-Chi 

Chu Ko 

Chiang Sheng 

Yuan Biao

Honorable mention: Lu Feng (Weapons master, but he was quite nimble / agile too)

Secret Executioner

Philip Kuo and Chiang Sheng immediately come to mind. For others, I don't know - I'd probably have Yuen Biao in there though.

Yuen Biao for me, the aerial cartwheel off the burning building in Millionaires Express is insane (I think he got hurt doing it) . I remember an interview with Biao when he said that Yuen Wah was actually the best at flips as he got such great height, he even went as far as to say that he thought at the time he was probably the best in Hong Kong.

Archived