Everest (UK/USA/Iceland, 2015)

Secret Executioner

Secret Executioner

IMO, this is one of the greatest films of those past years (and among the very best of this year).

The story is based on the disaster that occured in May 1996 when a group of climbers gone climbing Mt. Everest got caught in a huge blizzard that would trap many and claim 5 lives. It focuses on a smaller group among the climbers and follows their progression between their arrival in Nepal in March and the fateful May weekend when they got caught in the blizzard.

The movie was initially to focus on the group's leader that was to be played by Christian Bale, but the movie was altered when he couldn't make it (and was replaced by a very solid Jason Clarke). The cast is very nice, with a lot of solid performances and very investing characters - two really stood out to me, a very nice guy named Doug (played by John Hawkes) and Josh Brolin's Beck, though I also found Rob (the group's leader) very likeable and I liked his relation with another fellow (and also a professional climber) named Scott (played by Jake Gyllenhaal) who provides some light moments.

The settings are (of course) very impressive and the movie overall looks really beautiful. The visuals didn't feel as vertigo-inducing as I thought (even in 3D), which is a good point for the film. I could only see it in 3D (something I'm not too keen on and the 3D-only stuff the theater has may well turn off viewers who aren't fond of the gimmick), but it's a rare occurence where I feel the 3D adds to the experience, making the visuals even more imposing than they are.

Much like people advertising getting on top of Mt Everest (according to one scene early on in the film), I can't find words to describe this film. I'm not pleased with what I said here cause I find it doesn't convey the idea of how great the cast, the looks and pretty much everything in the movie is. Don't be fooled by those US posters that look like DVD covers for some The Asylum disaster flick (checking them out on IMDb and I can't believe how cheap they look), this movie is a masterpiece.

It's PG-13, which I find a bit strong though it has intense moments and a bit of disturbing visuals (great effects for this one scene), but the IMDb parents guide provides a good overlook of what's in store.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived