Fu Sheng book coming soon....

teako170

As some may already know, I'm currently writing a book length bibliography on one of Movietown’s greatest performers; Alexander Fu Sheng. So not to hijack any current Fu Sheng threads, I'm creating this new thread which will provide updates on the status of this project.

I’ve been posting the latest developments on FB but as many may not utilize social media, or belong to the groups I’ve posted in, I will begin to provide these same updates here at the forum.

First, I invite you to read the following written by KFF moderator, One Armed Boxer, which gives some details into this upcoming book.

http://www.cityonfire.com/alexander-fu-sheng-the-biography-of-the-chinatown-kid

Currently I’m working on the third draft which is roughly 375 pages (90,000 words) and should be complete by year’s end. I have created a very stringent timetable for the various drafts and so far have not deviated too far from it. There will be at least three more drafts to work on in 2016 but hopefully it will all be complete by the end of next year.

This work will not be a book of film reviews but an in-depth look at the man, his movies, his love, and his family. It will also not be a reiteration of the same old/same old information that we find scattered across the net. No, there will be an abundance of new data, a multitude of quotes from Alex, Jenny and the people that worked alongside him, new details about many of the actors, actresses and Shaw staff, as well as, a look into Alex's family history. As I mentioned in the above interview, "This book will be enlightening to even Alex’s biggest fans" and I cannot wait to share it with you all.

3draft.thumb.jpg.0a45fd3ba1fb2d83e4286e8

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appreciate the support as always. Working on the history of Shaolin (which is a bit of a cluster) for some background info on several films. Did you know that Chang said his cycle films focused on the Southern Shaolin Temple in Fujian but also believed that the southern temples never existed? That’s a bit odd....

As posted previously on FB, here's roughly half of the books I’ve utilized in my research. Many more (not shown) were borrowed from a variety of libraries across the US. Not just books but newspaper microfilm, videos and other assorted documents.

The black milk crate is where the real gold lies. Thousands of pages of translated materials, interviews, film and actor backgrounds, history of the Cheung family and so much more. Of course, this doesn’t include the 20gb of data on my hard-drive.

11834680_414006898792104_195444908199141

ShaOW!linDude

Currently I’m working on the third draft which is roughly 375 pages (90,000 words) and should be complete by year’s end. I have created a very stringent timetable for the various drafts and so far have not deviated too far from it. There will be at least three more drafts to work on in 2016 but hopefully it will all be complete by the end of next year.

This work will not be a book of film reviews but an in-depth look at the man, his movies, his love, and his family. It will also not be a reiteration of the same old/same old information that we find scattered across the net. No, there will be an abundance of new data, a multitude of quotes from Alex, Jenny and the people that worked alongside him, new details about many of the actors, actresses and Shaw staff, as well as, a look into Alex's family history. As I mentioned in the above interview, "This book will be enlightening to even Alex’s biggest fans" and I cannot wait to share it with you all.

Dude, as a writer, I applaud you on your self-discipline, and your construction of and adhering to a timetable. Those are usually the #1 and #2 self-defeating factors for writers.

While I've never been a big Fu Sheng fan, I'm really looking forward to reading this for the insights into the man and the Chinese film industry at that time. I love a good biography, but I don't know that I could ever tackle something like that. I love research. It's like treasure-hunting, but the meticulousness required to verify from different sources, double-check chronology, decide how and when to interlace events, what deserves exposition, what warrants a simple mention, and such...okay, I'm getting a headache. To choose this sort of venture is a testament to your love, admiration, and dedication.

Good luck chasing this dragon. I know you'll catch it. We're all pulling for you. (Me? I think I'll stick to fiction.)

Secret Executioner

:clappinghands I've been doing researches for my studies and couldn't keep it up, so I applaud your determination with this one. 

The book itself sounds like it's going to be great and very interesting. :thumbsup Count me in among the people interested (and thanks for thinking of the people who don't use "social" media and for posting all the updates on here too)

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Hi Teako,

And I thought I was confused by Shaolin :hvb_not_sure:

I love researching and applaud your dedication to the drafting, researching and rewriting process, as a wanna be fiction writer and film journalist, you have my back and 100% support.  This is a monumental undertaking and I truly respect and appreciate all the hard work you are doing. 

Looking forward to this book.

And I second Secret's thanks in reposting this material here. Not much of a social (media) butterfly. 

Appreciate the support as always. Working on the history of Shaolin (which is a bit of a cluster) for some background info on several films. Did you know that Chang said his cycle films focused on the Southern Shaolin Temple in Fujian but also believed that the southern temples never existed? That’s a bit odd....

As posted previously on FB, here's roughly half of the books I’ve utilized in my research. Many more (not shown) were borrowed from a variety of libraries across the US. Not just books but newspaper microfilm, videos and other assorted documents.

The black milk crate is where the real gold lies. Thousands of pages of translated materials, interviews, film and actor backgrounds, history of the Cheung family and so much more. Of course, this doesn’t include the 20gb of data on my hard-drive.

11834680_414006898792104_195444908199141

That's surprising about CC, but not surprising in a way. Stories of the Southern temples are ingrained in folklore and the history of many kung fu lineages and styles (and no doubt other things too), so even if they didn't exist they still formed a part of popular history, if you will. Or, at the very least, stories about them made for many a good film.

Looking at the wealth of information before you, I can see that you have a great eye for detail. My level of anticipation just increased, again.

Congrats on the book Brother! I talk with Fu Sheng family members and they are all very excite about your book. Please let me know when it ready, because I like to get a copy for some of his brothers personally. again great job and thank you for all your efforts. your the man!!!!

1075654_10151486196991954_1537693343_n.jpg

Jan 2016 Update: The 3rd Draft is complete. I've stripped the "personal" pages from the "business/film" pages, so I can focus just on the personal life of Alex & Jenny. See how it flows and what needs to added, moved around, etc. Once I've done that, I will then put those pages back into the manuscript and begin work on the fourth draft (some point in February). Again, its very difficult on deciding what to include and what to omit. There is so much translated material, it just won't all fit; nor should it. Anyhow, forging ahead. Again, I appreciate all the support here, on FB, and via email/etc.  Back to the keyboards.....

history.jpg.49b43a715a2105ef7681c9352e9b

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

So very much appreciated Teako. Thanks for posting updates here. 

A little fun fu thing I put together last year. Hey - every writer procrastinates (lol). 

Hope to make this into a 24X36 poster eventually for my movie-room in our new house. 

FUCOLLAGE.thumb.jpg.0c2f345f986dcd811408

Due to the server failure, there's a few posts missing here but here is the latest....

If you have to yet to join us: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1203346679706951

...Working on some of the backstory for Marco Polo (1975). I interviewed Richard Harrison many years ago, and have some nice quotes by him. About a month into the shoot and Alex would return to HK for another wedding. This time it was good friend Ti Lung who was tying the knot to Tao Man-ming. The couple just celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary last year and, a few months after, would welcome their first grandchild.

Unlike John Chiang's rather small nuptials the year before, this 1975 event was a Who's Who of Shaw Brothers talent. Some trivia from the day. Ti Lung was sporting a wig as he had shaved his head for his roles in The Empress Dowager (1975) and The Last Tempest (1976). He had two best men (Li Sau Yin and Wong Chung) but Wong showed up at Ti Lung's house late after the nervous groom made multiple calls looking for him.

And oh, having signed Ti Lung (狄龍) on so many autographs, it was an easy mistake but that's how he signed the wedding registry instead of his legal name of Tam Fu-wing. Although the marriage registrant knew who he was, it's an official document and he asked the bridegroom to make a vow to confirm his signature.

After a big party at The Oceania Restaurant, Fu Sheng and Chang Cheh headed back to Taiwan. Two days later, they commenced work on a new picture, "The Hell."

15540617_599595686899890_8881146251455134500_o.jpg

'Tis the Season. And what unique gift can I bestow upon Fu Sheng's fans? A book about Alex's life, love, and films? Oh yes, yes ... but that's for next Christmas. So, what about this holiday? How about a QUOTE by YOU in the book! That's right. You heard me correct.

This book might be "about" Alex however its "for" his fans. And what better way to do this than for some select fans to have their very own words published within these pages?

I invite everyone reading to contribute their thoughts about Alex and/or the films he made. It can be about Alex, Jenny, a specific film, those he worked with, Shaw Brothers, etc. It can be one sentence or several **BUT** the more creative the quote, the better chance it has to make the cut. Any statements are welcome but if you can zone in on a specific character or film, you have a better shot. Quotes such as "I love Alex" or "Heroes Two was the best" are nice but I want you to dig deep into those emotions and pull out the most unique, gripping comments you can lay down on those keys. There's no rush. No deadline. Just let the words come to you ... and then type.

You can post them here in the thread, PM me, or email direct at: fusheng@teako170.com

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone. Lots of traveling this weekend and next but I will be checking in over the next two weeks. Thanks again for all your support. Have a safe and happy holiday season..!

christmas_keyboard2.jpg

Here's another EXCLUSIVE look of things to come....

Over the years, rumors have circulated that, despite the passing of Fu Sheng, his makeup table at the Shaw Studios remained untouched. Bey Logan mentioned it in his book "Hong Kong Cinema Action" and Gordon Liu Chia-Hui spoke of it in a video interview.

In May 2015, the HK URBEX team explored the interior of the abandoned Movietown and posted some rather shocking images of the studio in neglect. One of the few uplifting photos was Alex's dressing room which still survived 32 years after his death.

But nothing built by man lasts forever.

A contact of mine in HK had gone into the studio (in 2014) and then again in June 2016. What he found on that second trip was quite devastating. Alex's Dressing Room H had been dismantled. Seeing that second image still leaves me with a sinking feeling.

Another part of Movietown may have been lost to the hands of time but Alex still remains in our hearts and minds nonetheless.

dressing room H.jpg

The latest draft is history. That's #5 for those who have been counting (lol). A few more months and it will be off to the editor. Then back for a polishing draft and off to the publisher. Then, into YOUR hands!

I did a mock up of what the "table of contents" will look like. Of course, the page numbers will fluctuate as I move forward with rewrites and formatting. I prefer shorter chapters (10-15pp) as a book seems to flow better. Each chapter title gives you a glimpse of what you'll find within but it won't be the only topic. Take for example Chapter 6. Ti Lung and John Chiang are introduced in this section but there's more to that chapter than just the two actors.

While I mentioned a couple of films as title chapters, all 43 of Alex's films will be discussed throughout the book. And even a few you may not have heard of. They were abandoned, redone as another movie (without Alex), or simply planned but never lensed.

toc.thumb.jpg.a775c4c1af32be5866b7606412639de0.jpg

Archived