Philip Ng

AlbertV

I think Philip Ng is totally underrated. He usually does supporting roles but is quite a very good martial artist. He was a former member of Chin Kar-Lok's stunt team and now does his own action directing. I wish they had been able to finish Hands of the Dragon in 2008, but that's sadly dead due to financing. He even trained Nicholas Tse and Andy On in Wing Chun and kickboxing. He was even the best thing about the godawful reboot of Young and Dangerous (playing the character of Big Head, originated by former film mentor Kar-Lok in the original series). 

He was great in Once Upon a Time in Shanghai despite people giving it mixed. Not bad for a lead role debut.

Hope he will get another lead role in an action film soon, even in Hollywood with his perfect command of English. 

• Like 4

I'm with you Al...Philip Ng is definately on my who's who radar and should never be slept on by anybody.The guy holds several instructor certifications in various arts and is a 

sixth generation disciple of Choi Lay Fut kung fu as well being trained by

Wong Shun Leung in Ving Tsun since he was 13 yrs old.He also trained in Hung gar,Tae Kwon do,Karate,kickboxing,Jujutsu,Escrima,and western boxing.He like Michael Jai White,is a well rounded and gifted Martial Artist with the capacity to shine whether given a bit role or the lead.Imagine those two scrapping in the future! Hopefully in a Hong Kong based production with a choreographer like Nicky Li or Larnell Stovall who is ideal for guys of their caliber.

• Like 2

Not only that, he's a nice guy to boot.

I don't know why he hasn't gotten further with his skills, but it might say something about the state of the industry.

• Like 3

As mentioned in the thread on Bruce Lee, Philip is playing Bruce Lee in Birth of the Dragon, which focuses on the 1960's challenge match between Bruce and Wong Jack Man (played by Ng's Dragon Squad co-star Xia Yu)

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer
On 11/17/2015 at 4:26 AM, AlbertV said:

As mentioned in the thread on Bruce Lee, Philip is playing Bruce Lee in Birth of the Dragon, which focuses on the 1960's challenge match between Bruce and Wong Jack Man (played by Ng's Dragon Squad co-star Xia Yu)

3 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Polly tweeted that Wong Jack Man has died

@MatthewEPolly

I just heard that Wong Jack Man (Bruce Lee's rival in their infamous kung fu fight in Oakland) has passed away. May he rest in peace. By all accounts, he was an excellent sifu with a large following of devoted and grateful disciples.

Xia Yu, let's hear you.

0105-00282-016b2.jpg

04fd8849e7c8f6b96d1d4add0a2ac34e.jpg

Philip Ng is making an appearance in Enter the Fat Dragon, in a spoof-style fight. He will play Wu Jing's knife wielding assassin Jack, who will throwdown with Donnie Yen in a tribute to SPL. This was shot on the final night of production.

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2019/01/20180105-donnie-yen-pokes-fun-at-himself.html

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

I've visited his Wing Chun studio in Chicago and took a class when visiting the city. I met his father, and was told that I arrived literally weeks after Philip Ng went back to Hong Kong! Regardless, everyone there was friendly and it was neat to see the signed posters of the movies and TVB series featuring Philip Ng. :) 

• Like 3

On 10/1/2015 at 9:08 AM, Asmo said:

Not only that, he's a nice guy to boot.

100 percent true. When I used to be on the fanpage turned social network AliveNotDead.com, Philip was one of the 1st celebrities I spoke with on the site and he was definitely nice and down to earth. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, AlbertV said:

100 percent true. When I used to be on the fanpage turned social network AliveNotDead.com, Philip was one of the 1st celebrities I spoke with on the site and he was definitely nice and down to earth. 

Ditto. That's where my interactions with him took place.

• Like 3