Sword of Doom

Guest DragonMa55

Guest DragonMa55

I watched this tonight, what a great film, it's the equal of anything made by Kurosawa (well, almost). Tatsuya Nakadai is amazing here as a man slowly consumed by his sins, the fight at the end was just superb, it was both graphic and immensely violent.

My favorite fight though was the fight in the snow, Toshiro Mifune tears through the whole gang without breaking a sweat, I love the way that's filmed, the heavy snowstorm and Toshiro wading through all these men while Ryonusuke just watches.

The ending was pretty ballsy considering, no payoff, it just ends.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest KevinClo

Yeah. My favorite fight scene in that movie is where Nakadai is at the river for the assassination in the rain. The guy attacks him and he uses the lantern to block/jam him from getting his sword out then cuts him down. Simple, but interesting technique.

Nakadai spent some time with the famous sensei Kunii Zen'ya in training for that movie. He helped him for the "otonashi-no-kamae" (silent form) technique used in that movie. The duels, which may not look like much to an untrained eye, were very technically done in that film.

The ending was pretty ballsy considering, no payoff, it just ends.

Yeah, the sequels were never made. You might want to look at this thread:

p081.ezboard.com/fkungfuf...=829.topic

KC

I love the look on Nakadai face as Toshiro hacks down all those guys, then as he's about to pull out his sword, Toshiro turnes his back and laughes at him - "The sword is the soul, study the soul to know the sword, evil mind, evil sword."

One of my all time favs!

Guest DragonMa55

Thanks for the link, Kevin. I did search for threads on this film but didn't find any, oh well.

So I take the film was based on a novel or series of novels?

Guest limubai2000

This is probably my favorite chambarra film at the moment... I liked the snow fight the best.

It might sound sacriligeous but I'd like to see a remake with the Twilight Samurai cast and crew for some odd reason...

Guest KevinClo
So I take the film was based on a novel or series of novels?

The writer, Kaizan Nakazato, started writing Daibosatsu Toge in 1913, and by his death in 1941 he had written 32 volumes. It was never completed. There was an english translation put out in 1929 of books 1-3 which covers about the same ground as you seen in Sword of Doom. The other filmed trilogies go a bit further and take it up to about book 17. However, it is a rambling epic with all sorts of other characters and story involved so a lot is cut out to focus on Ryunosuke Tsukue.

I don't think what limubai is suggesting is sacriligeous at all. I would love to see a modern remake of this series.

KC

Archived