How Much is too Much to Pay for a Kung Fu Film?

Hei Meigui

If I'm spending more than $20, I am getting multiple movies.

Even than, if I spend $20 on a movie, it's gotta be either rare or something I just have to get. Generally I'll spend $10 or less on a single movie.

• Like 1

Okay it may not be the Jade Raksha, but what are some more of the more rare Shaw films to look out for?

There are several but try to find an IVL release of Abbott of  Shaolin With David Chiang,Ambitious Kung-Fu Girl with Chen Kuan Tai and Yuen Tak,And Boxer Rebellion with Fu-Sheng,Chi Kwan Chun,and Leung Ka Yan.I myself have the latter but Abbott of Shaolin went up for $200 on ebay this year.I know because I was bidding and then when I saw how perilous the price got,I bailed.Lover's Blades with Kara Hui Ying Hong and Meng Yuen Man are scarce as well.Regarding the Jade Rashka,I hope you enjoy it if you decide that's what you really want.

Edited by kokuryuha
  • Like 1

To each their own...Superman can suck all he want.I know if someone gave me Action Comics #1 with Superman's first appearance for free,I'd take it,sell it,And buy everyone in the chamber their own Jade Rashka on DVD or VCD! And be laughing my way to the bank afterwards.

s.:hvb_laughing:

That would be generous offer but I doubt you will find that many jade rakshas. Even big money does not always help when title just is not available and owners do not sell no matter what you offer..

To original post excluding items "needed" for collection I think  €25 mostly...that I paid for secret rivals 2...and did not regret one bit

• Like 1

That woulld be generous offer but I doubt you will find that many jade rakshas. Even big money does not always help when title just is not available and owners do not sell no matter what you offer..

To original post excluding items "needed" for collection I think  €25 mostly...that I paid for secret rivals 2...and did not regret one bit

As I said before, to each their own.And no need to take me so literally on buying everyone

in the chamber a jade rashka.I know fully well that there aren't enough to go around.I'd still offer to buy everybody a dvd of their choice though.It's the thought that counts.And as far as what an owner will sell...Anyone including yourself will sell theirs if enough money is offered.You mean to tell me if someone offered you $5,000 in cash you wouldn't sell yours? Even if you say no,Other people won't.That's why entities like ebay and Amazon exist.

• Like 2

There are several but try to find an IVL release of Abbott of  Shaolin With David Chiang,Ambitious Kung-Fu Girl with Chen Kuan Tai and Yuen Tak,And Boxer Rebellion with Fu-Sheng,Chi Kwan Chun,and Leung Ka Yan.I myself have the latter but Abbott of Shaolin went up for $200 on ebay this year.I know because I was bidding and then when I saw how perilous the price got,I bailed.Lover's Blades with Kara Hui Ying Hong and Meng Yuen Man are scarce as well.Regarding the Jade Rashka,I hope you enjoy it if you decide that's what you really want.

I will check out the ones you listed. I think I do have Abbot of Shaolin through iTunes. I liked that movie. Do you think that some of the physical copies of movies have a greater value than the digital? I'm finding that I don't like the idea that through Amazon, or iTunes even though I own the movie I really don't because I cant legally copy it.

Edited by Hei Meigui
  • Like 1

Are there also different places you all will buy from, meaning different countries. For example I usually buy IVL and they are usually region 3 from Taiwan. I do see one of the movies you listed  through a Thai seller, but it looks like it is the Shaw Celestial version. I have also bought from Hong Kong sellers. Actually I think more and more of my DVD's are region 3.

I think that one thing I haven't takn into account is also my location. There used to be a shop in my Chinatown that sold real and bootlegged copies of films and it closed. I think if I was in NY or CA there might be more places that I could physically go to see about finding them.

Edited by Hei Meigui
  • Like 1

Are there also different places you all will buy from, meaning different countries. For example I usually buy IVL and they are usually region 3 from Taiwan. I do see one of the movies you listed  through a Thai seller, but it looks like it is the Shaw Celestial version. I have also bought from Hong Kong sellers. Actually I think more and more of my DVD's are region 3.

I bet my bottom dollar that the Thai release you mentioned was boxer rebellion.I also buy Thai releases  in the event that I can't find the movie I want on IVL or the Taiwanese release.The only difference with the Thai release is that they don't have the menu extras like the actors biography,photo stills,interviews,etc.But the picture quality is the same as the aforementioned.

Like yourself my dvd collection of shaw brothers is primarily IVL on DVD and VCD.But my Taiwanese deltamac shaws is increasing also.When I first started buying my IVL region 3DVDs in 2006 I didn't even own a multi-regional dvd player yet! I still bought them in small stockpiles because the retailer in Chinatown,NYC I was buying them from was selling them for $7 to $10 a pop! I bought them out eventually because they only had one of each title and never bothered to replenish the titles sold.

The movies I have now are going for high prices and it's rather sad because no one should have to pay that much to own something that was meant to be enjoyed by everyone who wishes to view it. And of course like you said in your earlier post,I'd rather have physical copy over the digital because I have the leisure to make my own copy or to make a nice display with slipcover cases.

• Like 1

I bet my bottom dollar that the Thai release you mentioned was boxer rebellion.I also buy Thai releases  in the event that I can't find the movie I want on IVL or the Taiwanese release.The only difference with the Thai release is that they don't have the menu extras like the actors biography,photo stills,interviews,etc.But the picture quality is the same as the aforementioned.

This is what I was talking about.  Is this the movie?

My_girl.thumb.JPG.6630f33ffd4776ecd86df4

• Like 1

Hi, Hei,

If I haven't sold it to someone on this forum as yet, I think that I have a double of Ambitious kung fu girl that I could sell you.

You should take a look to my posts in the wanted section, I had listed some movies/series for sale a while ago on the old forum and I have to update it because I upgraded some of my vcds to dvds, so, I'll add more titles when I'll have a little bit more time.

• Like 2

Hi, Hei,

If I haven't sold it to someone on this forum as yet, I think that I have a double of Ambitious kung fu girl that I could sell you.

You should take a look to my posts in the wanted section, I had listed some movies/series for sale a while ago on the old forum and I have to update it because I upgraded some of my vcds to dvds, so, I'll add more titles when I'll have a little bit more time.

Thanks Angela,

I will check out your list especially when you update it.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I will check out the ones you listed. I think I do have Abbot of Shaolin through iTunes. I liked that movie. Do you think that some of the physical copies of movies have a greater value than the digital? I'm finding that I don't like the idea that through Amazon, or iTunes even though I own the movie I really don't because I cant legally copy it.

Part of my reason of moving towards digital is budgetary. Plus it makes me a smarter shopper and not just binging (as I did this summer.)  Naturally there are films  will triple etc. dip on because I love them and want to watch in as many formats as possible. 

I think collectors / completists are awesome, I just know I am not one of those folks. 

• Like 1

This is what I was talking about.  Is this the movie?

My_girl.thumb.JPG.6630f33ffd4776ecd86df4

That's definately ambitious kung fu girl.If someone in the chamber has it to offer then take it.If not then those deals are good compared to some of the unreasonable prices I've seen for that item.But this is what I was referring to when I meant the Thai release of boxer rebellion,note the change in the cover format...

1444765967771.jpg

• Like 1

Part of my reason of moving towards digital is budgetary. Plus it makes me a smarter shopper and not just binging (as I did this summer.)  Naturally there are films  will triple etc. dip on because I love them and want to watch in as many formats as possible. 

I think collectors / completists are awesome, I just know I am not one of those folks. 

That's definately ambitious kung fu girl.If someone in the chamber has it to offer then take it.If not then those deals are good compared to some of the unreasonable prices I've seen for that item.But this is what I was referring to when I meant the Thai release of boxer rebellion,note the change in the cover format...

Koku, I'm glad to see that I had the right movie. The multiple names for things can be confusing!! I know I had The Return of the 5 Venoms DVD and then bought The Crippled Avengers online and didn't realize they were the same thing until I watched the DVD finally!!!

Lady,

I guess I am kind of a completest as I know that different releases may have different cuts so I got the Thai one and I'll check out Angela's version. I found that I had to hunt for different ones like

A Chinese Ghost Story- where a scene of Leslie Cheung falls into the female character as that was cut for being racy!! He literally just fell down the stairs and bumped into her!!

Butterfly Sword with Michele Yeoh I had to get the Taiwanese version as they cut the last part showing how it ends not for gore or sexuality but for morality.

I love the movies but the hunt is also fun!

• Like 1

As I said before, to each their own.And no need to take me so literally on buying everyone

in the chamber a jade rashka.I know fully well that there aren't enough to go around.I'd still offer to buy everybody a dvd of their choice though.It's the thought that counts.And as far as what an owner will sell...Anyone including yourself will sell theirs if enough money is offered.You mean to tell me if someone offered you $5,000 in cash you wouldn't sell yours? Even if you say no,Other people won't.That's why entities like ebay and Amazon exist.

would go for 5k surely.Even as I do not have financial troubles at all but when money is ridiculous enough I would break collection. Propably if someone hands 500€ in cold hard cash I would start to sweat..

• Like 1

Grasshopper Sage

I said this in chat not too long ago but I'll post here on the forum as well.

When I first decided to get into collecting Kung Fu films on DVD I decided eBay was my best bet as I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for but figured it'd be best to purchase a lot of DVDs and have a variety to choose from. Now while I don't remember what exactly was in the first potential lot other than "The Brave Archer" & maybe one of it's sequels. This lot had 18 DVDs & ended up selling for $80+. Needless to say I lost the auction and am very glad.

I had been keeping my eyes peeled for a couple months already with not much luck but the next lot was incredible. I believe it was about 30+ dvd's which ended up selling for about $1.00+ per DVD. Next lot was about 20+ and the same thing. I ended up getting 55 DVDs for around $58-60. Plenty of Shaw titles & from what I can tell so far all are playable on my portable DVD player. Probably the best deal I've ever come across for an auction

:hvb_so_proud:

• Like 1

I don`t think there is general rule what is too much to pay for a film. It depends of your needs. If you just want to watch movie, even $20 might sound far too much. However if you are collector..Well, as you know some IVL shaws have been sold in ebay for prices which appear insane for "normal" person who just wants to enjoy movie and owning it means nothing special.

On collecting purposes wallet and budget have some strange ability to stretch. Propably 104€ was most expensive I paid for one disc, ebays global shipping included to that. I did not get all my shaws supercheap, there are some discs in 40-60€ range but at least now they feel like were bargains. At least if compared to prices in ebay were paid...

• Like 1

Can't see myself paying more than $15-20. Hell, I'm happy with good quality DVDR nowadays. These things don't last forever y'know? Even sitting in the case they will rot over time. Why invest so much money into something that will eventually fail?

• Like 1

DragonClaws

With some internet seller's still asking crazy prices for old school Kung Fu films, thought I'd bump this older thread.

Omni Dragon

I once spent £39.81 (APX 52.79 USD at the time of this post) on a none kung fu DVDR of a Chuckle Brothers stage show. Only 100 copies where made. They where sold at another show for £10 (APX 13.26 USD) but as the nearest theatre to me was late in the tour I missed out during the tour. I later ended up buying it off ebay from a guy who brought about 10 of them.

Normally for a single DVD/DB I spend between £2-£10 (APX 2.26-13.26 USD), anything above £15 (APX 19.89) is probably exceptional for me.  

• Like 1