How Much is too Much to Pay for a Kung Fu Film?

Hei Meigui

Jake Raksha is a good film but not worth more than US$ 10.00 on VCD or US$ 20.00 on dvd unless you are deeply in love with Cheng Pei Pei.

Not for you but it constantly gets high bids when available on ebay. I paid $70 for mine some years ago.

Recently I paid 62€ for koch medias Django box, but ebays global shipping program was to blame for total price. Well, it`s hard to find it so but still I was happy with purchase.

• Like 1

Ebay global shipping is a pure robbery !!  Sometimes, there are items that cost less than 10 USD and you have to pay 30 or 50 USD only for the global shipping!!

When I buy there, I try to find sellers who aren't using this program, but sometimes it's unavoidable for some items such as old series...Too bad !!

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Yeah, eBay's postage is ridiculous so I look to Hong Kong sellers who do not charge much in postage. Been lucky so far...

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 1

Not for you but it constantly gets high bids when available on ebay. I paid $70 for mine some years ago.

See this is what I was wondering if there is a reason that this copy or this version is special. I know I can get it DVDr but I haven't seen it anywhere else online for sale except this seller for the past 4 months. When you bought The Jade Raksha was it DVD or VCD? some years ago for $70 mean $100 now wouldn't be out of the question. And I just did a search and it's not available anywhere I can find. Is it that rare a movie?

Edited by Hei Meigui
  • Like 1

And back on topic here, really? The blu ray isn't even new. 

Not even new Ninjas.png

I have been trying my hardest to find a reasonably priced Blu-ray of 5 Element Ninjas. I knew I should have grabbed it upon its release. At one point, a seller on Amazon wanted $499. There is no way in hell, I can justify spending that much money on a disc, which I also have on DVD. The most I ever spent on a single disc was $30-50 dollars.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I can't understand why the Blu Ray of 5EN is such a desirable item. The U.S. DVD  looks amazing.  I can't imagine the Bluray looking any better, but maybe I'm wrong.  

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir
  • Like 1

I can't understand why the Blu Ray of 5EN is such a desirable item. The U.S. DVD  looks amazing.  I can't imagine the Bluray looking any better, but maybe I'm wrong.  

That's what I was wondering. I do not have any Blu-ray copies of my movies and i like the resolution. The way I have seen that movies is from the previews on iTunes and it looks great.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I'm not sold on Blu Ray just yet.  Sometimes the Bluray looks worse than the DVD, like Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978, and sometimes you get one of those Bluray/DVD combo packs and they look exactly the same, like The Big Gundown.  

I have been wowed more than a few times with the pic quality of Bluray, like A Christmas Story, and Hoosiers, but I never seem to have a DVD to compare it with.  

I don't have any kf movies on Bluray, except for the Videoasia Wutang 25 pack, which looks much worse than a DVD.  Actually a lot of the movies look worse than VCD.    

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir
  • Like 1

You are not wrong and generally what does the rarity of any VCD,DVD,Blu-ray got to do with forking out money the equivalent of paying your rent, mortgage and buying a second hand car? or even buying a brand new HDTV to watch the darn thing on for that matter.

• Like 1

I'm not sold on Blu Ray just yet.  Sometimes the Bluray looks worse than the DVD, like Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978, and sometimes you get one of those Bluray/DVD combo packs and they look exactly the same, like The Big Gundown. 

It's funny I do not mind watching the DVDs or even some Youtube videos,  as part of the experience is that they are old films and I expect them to look dated. Sometimes if the resolution is so crisp and clear it makes some of the films look more fake! I don't mean that I want total crap quality, but I do not find myself desiring Blu rays. Even with some of the newer films I am happy with them on DVD still. I will be testing out my old movie theory soon, I just bought the full Star Wars series so I can brush up before the new one comes out and I'll see how that looks. They are all Bluray and I haven't seen any of those films since they came out in theater! I was actually going to buy the set DVD, but I got a better discount on the full Bluray set!

Edited by Hei Meigui
  • Like 1

Regarding The Jade Raksha, The guy I was seeing who was originally asking $100 for it had taken the listing down twice and now when I messaged him on ebay to see if he sold it he says it's back up but for $88 dollars. I'm going to see how low I can get him to go.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Good going Hei. Hopefully you can push him to below $50. 

And thanks for the Weird Man info, that film is not worth more than $10. So I'll keep hoping Celestial make good and release it  on iTunes along with their other summer 2015 promised titles...

I wouldn't mind having the 5EN blu, but not at the price points folks are posting it for. 

• Like 1

See this is what I was wondering if there is a reason that this copy or this version is special. I know I can get it DVDr but I haven't seen it anywhere else online for sale except this seller for the past 4 months. When you bought The Jade Raksha was it DVD or VCD? some years ago for $70 mean $100 now wouldn't be out of the question. And I just did a search and it's not available anywhere I can find. Is it that rare a movie?

It is IVL dvd...and that 100$ is quite "cheap" recently it was sold in ebay for little bit under 300$...yes, that is ridiculous price but these discs are rare...

Thx, secret executioner:)

• Like 1

It is IVL dvd...and that 100$ is quite "cheap" recently it was sold in ebay for little bit under 300$...yes, that is ridiculous price but these discs are rare...

Thx, secret executioner:)

So before I pull the trigger even though it is the VCD it may be worth it?

• Like 1

I hope you enjoy it Hei.  

I better if I do buy it!! I'm waiting for a response from the seller about negotiating the price

• Like 1

Regarding The Jade Raksha, The guy I was seeing who was originally asking $100 for it had taken the listing down twice and now when I messaged him on ebay to see if he sold it he says it's back up but for $88 dollars. I'm going to see how low I can get him to go.

I would not go nowhere that high....vcd swordmates and black butterfly which have no ivl/thai/deltamac dvd releases are only worth big money IMO

• Like 1

If I were you Hei,I'd remember that idiom about patience being a virtue.I'm a collector myself and I collect VCD,VHS,And Region 2-9 Dvds.I can tell you that opportunities come and go.But don't buy something expensive if your instincts are warning you against it.I'm pretty sure you can push for $40 dollars if you negotiate right.If its not brand new or in like new condition including free shipping then why bother at all.The Jade Rashka isn't that rare to be spending that type of dough on when the chances of it being sold by another will appear.

For example...I was looking for the original clamshell ocean shores vhs of Fistful of Talons and Kungfu Zombie for a few years and either I came up cold or some deviant wanted $90 dollars or more for each.Both those joints are rare as hell nowadays.But Lo and behold I got both of them this year in very good condition along with Kirk Che Wong's The Club starring Michael Chan Wai for a grand total of $70.

And that's all three movies with shipping and handling included.That was due to diligence,patience,negotiations savvy,and some luck of course. 

The point I'm trying to drive home is this...If you can't negotiate a price that you're not comfortable with,unless you can afford to throw away money on something that even if it's a disappointment after you bought it you won't care,THEN DON'T.Another and better opportunity to get what you want will present itself the same way the previous one did unless we're talking about some uber rare material thing.

P.S. Blu-Ray is cool but overrated.I'll stick to my dvds unless it's the blu-ray combo that comes with the dvd or The steelbooks which has the Blu-Ray,DVD,and the digital copy.?

Edited by kokuryuha
  • Like 2

If I were you Hei,I'd remember that idiom about patience being a virtue.

That applies only to stuff which you have reasonable doubt item is possible to find at ok price. Some lucky strikes happen at 2nd hand stores of course but some serious $ were paid of jade raksha in dvd format http://www.ebay.com/itm/OOP-RARE-Shaw-Brothers-R3-IVL-DVD-JADE-RAKSHA-Cheng-Pei-pei-English-Subtitle-/252019649535

Was it overpriced?Hell yes, but if that would have been last shaw kungfu/wuxia I lack I do not know how deep I would have reached bottom of money pile:p....

• Like 1

That applies only to stuff you have reasonable doubt item is possible to find at ok price. Some lucky strikes happen at 2nd hand stores of course but some serious $ were paid of jade raksha in dvd format http://www.ebay.com/itm/OOP-RARE-Shaw-Brothers-R3-IVL-DVD-JADE-RAKSHA-Cheng-Pei-pei-English-Subtitle-/252019649535

Was it overpriced?Hell yes, but if that would have been last shaw kungfu/wuxia I lack I do not know how deep I would have reached bottom of money pile:p....

No,my way of thinking applies to all material things including that.I don't know if you bought your jade rashka brand spanking new or in like new condition but even if you did you were rolled over.As a collector,you have to draw the line somewhere unless as I stated earlier you're financially solvent and spending whatever amount for whatever item won't effect you in the slightest or cause you regret.This isn't a vintage car or the first appearance of Superman in a comic here.It's a VCD.Is it hard  to come by?YES.No doubt.But it's not even Cheng Pei Pei's best movie.

In a nutshell,Whatever anyone decides to spend their cash on is their business if they so desire.But things like that particular item have the probability of appearing again.The only way I'd see myself buying something that expensive is if that was the only way that I could view the movie.I recently tracked down My flying wife with sammo hung,To live and die in tsimshatsui with jacky chueng,and Rock n' roll cop with yu rong guang and those movies on VCD let alone DVD are rare and if they do pop up they want big bucks.What people paid for one VCD like the Jade Rashka I paid for all three movies on VCD.which was over $60.Not including shipping and handling.It took awhile but Eventually I did get them.If wasn't able to get them...I would've found a good copy and been content.And I'm a borderline zealot when it comes to collecting. 

• Like 1

No,my way of thinking applies to all material things including that.I don't know if you bought your jade rashka brand spanking new or in like new condition but even if you did you were rolled over.As a collector,you have to draw the line somewhere unless as I stated earlier you're financially solvent and spending whatever amount for whatever item won't effect you in the slightest or cause you regret.This isn't a vintage car or the first appearance of Superman in a comic here.It's a VCD.Is it hard  to come by?YES.No doubt.But it's not even Cheng Pei Pei's best movie.

In a nutshell,Whatever anyone decides to spend their cash on is their business if they so desire.But things like that particular item have the probability of appearing again.The only way I'd see myself buying something that expensive is if that was the only way that I could view the movie.I recently tracked down My flying wife with sammo hung,To live and die in tsimshatsui with jacky chueng,and Rock n' roll cop with yu rong guang and those movies on VCD let alone DVD are rare and if they do pop up they want big bucks.What people paid for one VCD like the Jade Rashka I paid for all three movies on VCD.which was over $60.Not including shipping and handling.It took awhile but Eventually I did get them.If wasn't able to get them...I would've found a good copy and been content.And I'm a borderline zealot when it comes to collecting. 

Item in my case was dvd and I was not one who paid 300$ for it, "just"70$. Good luck for you or anyone else finding it for sth like 20 bucks, sure that happens for someone. I believe it ends up into 2nd store where seller and owner of shop does not understand it`s rarity. It`s not cheng pei peis best movie but that has nothing to do about it`s rarity. Btw superman sucks I would not take 1st comic even for free if I  would not be able to sell it...

• Like 1

To each their own...Superman can suck all he want.I know if someone gave me Action Comics #1 with Superman's first appearance for free,I'd take it,sell it,And buy everyone in the chamber their own Jade Rashka on DVD or VCD! And be laughing my way to the bank afterwards.

s.:hvb_laughing:

• Like 1

You both are making good points. I work hard and there are only a few things I am into. When I am into something I want the best and I am willing to pay what I can afford for it. I am lucky that I do not have people big or little that I am responsible for (except the pets!) I also don't get out much due to working such long hours. So what I am into is Tech stuff, food, and my love of Chinese culture (which is including my Asian cinema collection).

I also love a chase and if there is something that is rare that I am into I will find it and get it. So when I am asking about what something is worth, I am trying to determine the rarity, desirability, or authenticity of the item. I am new to the Shaw Brother's era films and I want to make sure if something is hard to find it's because it is rare not because it's crap!

I have found there has to be a balance of striking while the iron is hot, and waiting for the right moment. In general with some of these items that aren't as common within reason I have been looking for the best deal but then getting it I I really must have it.

Now I can tell you thanks Koku - I hope you do get the copy of Superman #1 and if you sell it I would gladly accept the copy of the Jade Raksha from you! But even though I don't like Superman comic's If I had the chance to try to buy that copy I would and I'd keep it just for the enjoyment of having something that special!!!.

Hey I'm still holding out hope of getting my hands on the Ziieagle!!

• Like 1

Okay it may not be the Jade Raksha, but what are some more of the more rare Shaw films to look out for?

• Like 1