How Much is too Much to Pay for a Kung Fu Film?

Hei Meigui

I have bought some DVD's and have paid up to $60 US dollars (not often but when it was really rare OOP that I couldn't live without.)

What is reasonable? I know it can depend on the film and format but it's so hard to tell sometimes if it's worth it. I generally have been able to get IVL, Megastar, MeiAh, Deltamac films. and usually they are around $20 US or less. I prefer Reigion 3 Subbed films and have been able to get a lot of Shaw Brother's films from iTunes for cheap ($7) but I want the hard copies.

I have been trying to find a copy of the Jade Raksha for example and a seller has it for $100 in the VCD format. is that even worth it? I have not seen it for sale anywhere else though. He's been advertising it for a while though and hasn't sold it yet.

What is the most you have paid for a Kung Fu film and is the one I'm talking about worth it?

Edited by Hei Meigui
  • Like 2

Nothing on VCD is worth $100.  I've only paid over $100 for one kung fu flick, but that was under special circumstances (and it was for a dvd), otherwise if I want a title bad enough I'll go up to fifty or sixty, but, once again, it's gotta at least be on dvd (which doesn't mean that the quality won't still be crap).

I've got Jade Raksha on dvd; pm me, something can be arranged.

• Like 2

Okay now is this worth this or just outrageous?

wtf.JPG

That's just the typical Amazon insanity. An item runs out of print and immidiately you'll find some sick f***s who'll slap triple-digit prices to their copies. As for SHAOLIN RESCUERS, best version by far is the Funimation one. The IVL is no match for that one. The DVD on Amazon is a cropped & dubbed bootleg version that looks blurrier than a pre-World War 1 newsreel. Gotta be a total retard to waste even a dollar-and-fifty for this garbage...

:monk_flirting:

• Like 3

I was offered $100 once for a DVD I owned but anything over $15 is too much for me. It's just a movie.  

I just don't get it!! That price just seems so ridiculous to me. I could see it if maybe it was an original copy when they were first released and signed by all of the actors, but unless it's gold plated I'm thinking something is off!!

Edited by Hei Meigui
  • Like 1

I just don't get it!! That price just seems so ridiculous to me. I cols see it if maybe it was an original copy when they were first released and signed by all of the actors, but unless it's gold plated i'm thinking something is off!!

Apparently that was rather cheap. Look what this guy wants for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Too-Many-Ways-Be-No/dp/B00005S6KK

Not sure what the interest is. I kept a DVDr for myself and wasn't all that impressed.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Yeah, I still cannot figure out why Lu Feng won the award for Shaolin Rescuers and NOT Two Champions of Shaolin. His acting and martial acrobatics were even better in the latter.  And even then I prefer The Daredevils and Magnificent Ruffians to the aforementioned films. 

A sealed copy IVL copy of Shaolin Abbot sold  on eBay for at least $202 at an auction a couple of weeks ago. :monk_smh: I am quite happy with my $8 digital version. 

For me, nothing over $30...but I'd be more prone to pick something up if it's under $20.  Hei, that stupidly overpriced copy of Shaolin Rescuers is a boot no less. 

• Like 3

Apparently that was rather cheap. Look what this guy wants for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Too-Many-Ways-Be-No/dp/B00005S6KK

Not sure what the interest is. I kept a DVDr for myself and wasn't all that impressed.

Okay that is just ridiculous. If I had something that valuable I do not think I would be selling it on Amazon or Ebay, but I can see if people don't know better how they can get sucked in.

I do like that fact that it says he throws in shipping free!! Wait..I just looked at the seller..He is the guy I was talking about who is in California, Matt. He has outrageous prices on EVERYTHING he sells. I talked to him before about some stuff I wanted and I told him his prices were out of control! His answer was If I contacted him and bought it outside of Amazon he could work out a deal with me!! I had no idea about any of the films at that time as I was just getting into the old stuff and I knew that didn't sound like a good idea!!...But still...there is the free shipping!!!:bs_thumbsup:

Edited by Hei Meigui
  • Like 1

I've got a couple different versions including that one. I think I paid 3 dollars for it at big lots

20151007_014647.jpg

Edited by Bus
  • Like 1

$420 some dollars for a movie! That's a half or 3rd way on a flight to China! I understand wanting the original but anything over 50-60 shells is ridiculous for a dvd and plastic container that costs under 2 bucks to make.

I'm sure someone would be more than happy to send you a dvdr for postage :wink print the cover.

• Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

if I go the boot route now, I'll take the chance with FarEastFlix. They're about 60/40 as far as getting a remastered print.

UPDATE:  Nope, got rid of the boot. 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 2

Depends on the film and medium.

In the late 80s I remember paying $20 for movies on VHS, that would be $40 today. For incredibly rare, out of print, factory DVD releases I have paid prices near $75 if I really wanted something bad.

But generally, I have a hard time paying more than $10 for a DVD. I generally won't buy home authored DVD-R rips of VHS copies. You can usually find that stuff on youtube for free. I've done it a few times for high grade, very rare films like Japanese ninja stuff from the 60s.

• Like 1

And that's the thing I have found so many great old movies on youtube and have them on my hardrive to watch. It's really not that serious! I can mirror them to my TV or I can watch them on my computer as it's a 27" screen. I don't think I have paid over 50 dollars for a movie and that is rare. If it was that serious I would become a 35mm collector and screen films like Tarantino does.

• Like 1

$420 some dollars for a movie! That's a half or 3rd way on a flight to China! I understand wanting the original but anything over 50-60 shells is ridiculous for a dvd and plastic container that costs under 2 bucks to make.

I'm sure someone would be more than happy to send you a dvdr for postage :wink print the cover.

It's more than half the cost of a flight!! I'd rather go and buy some cheap DVD's there!!

flights.JPG

• Like 1

That's just the typical Amazon insanity. An item runs out of print and immidiately you'll find some sick f***s who'll slap triple-digit prices to their copies. As for SHAOLIN RESCUERS, best version by far is the Funimation one. The IVL is no match for that one. The DVD on Amazon is a cropped & dubbed bootleg version that looks blurrier than a pre-World War 1 newsreel. Gotta be a total retard to waste even a dollar-and-fifty for this garbage...

:monk_flirting:

See some people would just get sucked in by that and think it's a good deal as it's OOP I searched and this is what I saw

shaolin.JPGGood to know about the Funimation Version. It actually sounds interesting is it a good film?

Edited by Hei Meigui
  • Like 1

I remember when sealed Criterions of The Killer or Hard Boiled went for $120 on eBay. I thought it was insane.

The largest amount I paid for a DVD was $22 for Tiger Cage 2 DVD. Back then it was the only DVD version of the film. Few years later I bought sealed Criterion of Hard Boiled for 20 bucks

(At the time I used to buy Deltamacs and Universal DVDs for around $5-6 in Chinatown, so spending 20-22 bucks for one disc was a big deal)

Also, in the 90s, they used to sell HK movies on VHS for $40. A movie would be split on two 1hr VHS.

Now you can go to Youtube or a torrent site and get a movie for free

• Like 2

And that's the thing I have found so many great old movies on youtube and have them on my hardrive to watch. It's really not that serious! I can mirror them to my TV or I can watch them on my computer as it's a 27" screen. I don't think I have paid over 50 dollars for a movie and that is rare. If it was that serious I would become a 35mm collector and screen films like Tarantino does.

Never watched a full movie on Youtube and probably never wil! And no, the size of the monitor isn't the issue here (I use a 27 inch computer screen as well). Thing is, you never know how shit was compressed and uploaded and seldomly what particulatr version it is, if the aspect ratio is correct, if it its uncut, etc. And why bother with YouTube (or Youku) unless there's absolutely no way to get a movie you're genuinely interested in on DVD or BD ?

See some people would just get sucked in by that and think it's a good deal as it's OOP I searched and this is what I saw

shaolin.JPGGood to know about the Funimation Version. It actually sounds interesting is it a good film?

It thought its an excellent film, one the best Venoms I've seen. Couldn't believe how good the Funi version looked, guess ayn upgrade in PQ can only be a miniscule one if the film ever makes it on BD.

• Like 1

I have bought some DVD's and have paid up to $60 US dollars (not often but when it was really rare OOP that I couldn't live without.)

What is reasonable? I know it can depend on the film and format but it's so hard to tell sometimes if it's worth it. I generally have been able to get IVL, Megastar, MeiAh, Deltamac films. and usually they are around $20 US or less. I prefer Reigion 3 Subbed films and have been able to get a lot of Shaw Brother's films from iTunes for cheap ($7) but I want the hard copies.

I have been trying to find a copy of the Jade Raksha for example and a seller has it for $100 in the VCD format. is that even worth it? I have not seen it for sale anywhere else though. He's been advertising it for a while though and hasn't sold it yet.

What is the most you have paid for a Kung Fu film and is the one I'm talking about worth it?

Jake Raksha is a good film but not worth more than US$ 10.00 on VCD or US$ 20.00 on dvd unless you are deeply in love with Cheng Pei Pei.

• Like 1

Yeah, I still cannot figure out why Lu Feng won the award for Shaolin Rescuers and NOT Two Champions of Shaolin. His acting and martial acrobatics were even better in the latter.  And even then I prefer The Daredevils and Magnificent Ruffians to the aforementioned films. 

It is because of the martial arts prowess he exhibited by using all those weapons in the film and also the magnificent talent he showed by taking on and matching the skills of the other venoms in sync with the choreography during the end fight.

Just beautiful....Beat that!!!!!!  :bs_attention_clap_boy:

• Like 2

Never watched a full movie on Youtube and probably never wil! And no, the size of the monitor isn't the issue here (I use a 27 inch computer screen as well). Thing is, you never know how shit was compressed and uploaded and seldomly what particulatr version it is, if the aspect ratio is correct, if it its uncut, etc. And why bother with YouTube (or Youku) unless there's absolutely no way to get a movie you're genuinely interested in on DVD or BD ?

It thought its an excellent film, one the best Venoms I've seen. Couldn't believe how good the Funi version looked, guess ayn upgrade in PQ can only be a miniscule one if the film ever makes it on BD.

I have watched a few films on Youtube in their entirety, like the One Armed Boxer and liked it so I will actually buy it because of that. Same with Hapkido, I saw it on Youtube with a pretty good picture but I decided that I don't want to buy it.

I'll look out then and see if I can get the Funimation Version of the film. I liked their copy of Opium and the Kung Fu Master with Ti Lung.

Jake Raksha is a good film but not worth more than US$ 10.00 on VCD or US$ 20.00 on dvd unless you are deeply in love with Cheng Pei Pei.

Like her but don't love her!! I think I will just see if I can find it cheaper or get a DVDr of it.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

It is because of the martial arts prowess he exhibited by using all those weapons in the film and also the magnificent talent he showed by taking on and matching the skills of the other venoms in sync with the choreography during the end fight.

Just beautiful....Beat that!!!!!!  :bs_attention_clap_boy:

Oh, Kwok Choi, I agree, it is just beautiful to watch Lu. It just comes down to taste as I think Lu topped all these elements in subsequent movies. Now your namesake should have won an award for Shaolin Rescuers too. That Kwok  Choi did not get some kind of nod back then is utterly crazy. 

I'm a big Lu Feng fan woman (he's my favorite Venom and I am thrilled he won an award), but I am in the minority as Shaolin Rescuers is not one of my favorite Venoms films (neither is Invincible Shaolin.) For me personally, Lu Feng's acting and weapons work was even better in Two Champions, The Daredevils and Magnificent Ruffians. 

And back on topic here, really? The blu ray isn't even new. 

Not even new Ninjas.png

• Like 2

And back on topic here, really? The blu ray isn't even new. 

Not even new Ninjas.png

See this is what is messed up some people may see that and not search around and find this:

ninjas.JPG

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Sigh...your screen shot says not available to order...but wait, that Amazon copy is cheap compared to Barnes and Noble. 

That blu ray is another one that went into triple digits on eBay recently too. And while it took me a few times to come around  and ultimately dig the film; I am happy with the regular $12 dvd and $8 HD digital version. 

• Like 2

Morgoth Bauglir

I could never spend more than $30 on a movie.  The only time I can think of where i went over 20 was The Big Gundown 4 disc set.  

• Like 1