Favorite movies with an asian actor or actress paired with an american.

kokuryuha

Have you noticed how some of the asian actors from abroad wind up doing hollywood movies and transition well? Or even the american born asians are able to find their niche among the western actors as well.Do you have a specific movie that stands out in your mind? My personal favorite is Red Sun with Toshiro Mifune and Charles Bronson.This was one of the earlier pairings with an asian and western actor and one of the most memorable and successful as well.You have a samurai meets western gunslinger and although they got off on the wrong foot at first,the two become an amazing duo.

The chemistry between Mifune and Bronson are smooth and damn near seamless.I was hoping for a sequal but it never came to be.This movie predated the buddy chemistry of the Rush Hour films with Jackie and Chris Tucker and probably inspired it loosely at best.

If you've never watched this one,give it a shot.You'll be pleasantly surprised.?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lumet's The Yakuza (1974) - Bob Mitchum and Takakura Ken.

Just a beautiful, awesome, haunting film that gets better every time I see it.

I urge everyone on here to check it out.

I win!  :)

I urge everyone on here to check it out

I win!  :)

This topic wasn't meant as competition,just an inquiry and a means of sharing what movies feature an asian actor with an american one that we like.In that aspect we're all winners! 

This topic wasn't meant as competition,just an inquiry and a means of sharing what movies feature an asian actor with an american one that we like.In that aspect we're all winners! 

I completely agree.  I was just kidding around.

Seriously though, check out The Yakuza!

I urge everyone on here to check it out.

Aw, man. I'd forgotten all about this film. It's been years since I've seen this. Loved Robert Mitchum in this. 

• Administrator

Big fan of RED SUN, bigger fan of THE YAKUZA (got the poster hanging up). But another film I love that fits the bill for this thread, is BLACK RAIN (1988), a cops vs. yakuza thriller. Though some of the fashions and hair-dos are dated, Ridley Scott's (ALIEN, 1979) gorgeous, neon and rain-drenched film brings together Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia's NYC cops with Ken Takakura's by-the-book Japanese officer. Their chemistry is palpable, and Takakura's performance is sheer perfection.

In addition you've got Yusaku Matsuda absolutely burning up the screen in his last performance, and Lone Wolf, Ogami Itto himself, Tomisaburo Wakayama, as a yakuza boss, This film never gets old for me.

Another film I'd be remiss to mention, is HELL IN THE PACIFIC (1968), a war/drama starring Toshiro Mifune and Lee Marvin as two opposing soldiers that are marooned on a tropical island. Director John Boorman (perhaps best known for DELIVERANCE, 1972 and EXCALIBUR, 1981) manages to keep this two man story riveting throughout, and both actors give it their all in stunning performances.

Yeah, BLACK RAIN is a close second for me - an amazing film.  It makes the pefect accompaniment to THE YAKUZA - very similar and of course share a co-star in the late, great Takakura Ken,

• Administrator

Yeah, BLACK RAIN is a close second for me - an amazing film.  It makes the pefect accompaniment to THE YAKUZA - very similar and of course share a co-star in the late, great Takakura Ken,

For quite a few years BLACK RAIN and THE YAKUZA were the only films of Takakura's that I had seen. But now, I've seen a lot, and he's even more impressive to me. He has really soulful eyes- I always feel like his heart was just broken.

Romeo must die!!!!

Haven't seen it. I did hear there was a lot of flack and they had to change the ending because the test audiences were highly upset at the race thing with Jet Li kissing Aaliyah. Shame things were like that.

How about Tomorrow Never Dies, with Michelle Yeoh and Pierce Brosnan

The Man From Hong Kong.

Asian lead in Australia, blowing shit up, beating the shit out of George Lazenby, picking up Aussie babes and skydiving in the streets of Sydney and it even has fighting on Ayers Rock (Uluru). What more do you want?

Notable mention/Honourable mention:

Bruce Le & Richard Harrison - Challenge of the Tiger

Jackie Chan & Owen Wilson - Shanghai Noon/Knights

Billy Chong & Carl R Scott - Most of their stuff

Ryo Ishibashi & Viggo Mortensen - American Yakuza

Michelle Yeoh & Cynthia Rothrock - Yes Madam

Yuen Biao & Cynthia Rothrock - Righting Wrongs aka Above The Law

Mako & Chuck Norris - An Eye For An Eye

Rain & Naomie Harris - Ninja Assassins

Sammo Hung & Arsenio Hall - Martial Law TV series

Brandon Lee & Dolph Lundgren - Showdown in Little Tokyo

Dennis Dun & Kurt Russell - Big Trouble in Little China

Jonathan Ke Quan & Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

David Chiang & Peter Cushing; Lo Lieh & Lee Van Cleef didn't work quite well in my opinion.

Year of the Dragon: Mickey Rourke/John Lone

The Corruptor: Chow Yun Fat/Mark Wahlberg

Stoner: George Lazneby/Angela Mao

Man from Hong Kong: George Lazenby/Wang Yu

Enter the Dragon: Bruce Lee/John Saxon

Black Rain: Michael Douglas/Ken Takakura

Big Trouble in Little China: Kurt Russel/Pick one...

Tower of Death: Kim Tai Chung/Roy Horan

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow: Jackie Chan/Roy Horan

Heroes Shed No Tears: Eddie Ko Hung/White guy who blows himself up

I haven't seen THE YAKUZA in ages. I'll have to revisit it soon!

I completely agree.  I was just kidding around.

Seriously though, check out The Yakuza!

Recently recorded The Yakuza and I got round to watching it on Friday night. Its a great film with some really amazing scenes. You can see that director Sydney Pollack was influenced by the Japanese film style. They used a mainly Japanese crew for this Warner Brothers backed picture and it shows in the finished film. Ive never watched a Hollywood production like this one from the 70's.

Archived