Coming From Arrow: More Nikkatsu Films

Takuma

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DIAMOND_GUYS_2D_BD-500x500.jpg

NEW UK/US TITLE: Nikkatsu Diamond Guys: Vol 1 (Arrow Video) Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD - Three thrilling genre pictures previously unreleased in the West make their debut on home video. If you like tough guys, mobsters and wanderers… the Diamond Guys deliver in spades!

Pre-order your UK copy here: http://bit.ly/1WBFYZ2
US pre-orders will be live soon!

Nikkatsu Diamond Guys Vol 1 (Arrow Video) Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD

Nikkatsu, the oldest film studio in Japan, inaugurated a star system in the late 1950s, finding talent and contracting to their Diamond Line for a series of wild genre pictures. This collection celebrates these “Diamond Guys” with three classic films from directors Seijun Suzuki (Branded to Kill), Toshio Masuda (Rusty Knife) and Buichi Saito (Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril).
An old hand at tough guy action roles, Hideaki Nitani (Tokyo Drifter, Massacre Gun) stars in Suzuki’s Voice Without a Shadow. Asako, a former telephone operator once heard the voice of a murder suspect which has continued to haunt her. Years later her husband invites his boss, Hamazaki, over for dinner and she realises his voice is suspiciously like that of the killer. Before she can investigate further, Hamazaki is found dead and her husband becomes the prime suspect…
Next, 50s subculture icon Yujiro Ishihara (Crazed Fruit) stars in Masuda’s Red Pier as “Jiro the Lefty”, a killer with a natural talent. Shortly after arriving in Kobe, he witnesses a man die in a crane accident which turns out to be a cover-up for a murder. Jiro soon finds himself on the run, tailed by a determined cop...
Finally, in Saito’s The Rambling Guitarist, mega star Akira Kobayashi (Battles Without Honour and Humanity) stars as wandering street musician Shinji, who falls in with mob boss Akitsu after saving one of his henchmen in a bar fight. Tasked by Akitsu with evicting an offshore fishery, Shinji finds himself in the middle of a very unusual domestic dispute...
Presented on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time in the West, these thrilling genre films feature Nikkatsu’s leading talent at their best.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• Limited Edition Blu-ray collection (3000 copies)
• High Definition digital transfers of all three films, from original film elements by Nikkatsu Corporation
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation
• Original uncompressed mono audio
• Newly translated English subtitles
• Specially recorded video discussions with Japanese cinema expert Jasper Sharp on Diamond Guys Hideaki Nitani and Yujiro Ishihara
• Original trailers for all three films and trailer preview for Diamond Guys Vol. 2
• Extensive promotional image galleries for all three films
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
• Booklet featuring new essays on all three films and director profiles by Stuart Galbraith, Tom Mes and Mark Schilling

Region: Free
UK RRP £29.99
US SRP $49.95
UK Release Date 25th January
US Release Date 26th January

- https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/posts/1060927653941228

So, these films should be:

Voice Without a Shadow  aka Kagenaki koe (1958)
Red Harbour aka Left Hand of Jiro aka Akai hatoba (1958)
The Rambling Guitarist aka Guitar o motta wataridori (1959)

• Administrator

Have you seen any of these films @Takuma? They are all new to me. But I've just started a 'Christmas Wish List' and this is all that's on there. :wink:

I pre-ordered the STRAY CAT ROCK Collection back when it was announced, and these guys didn't disappoint. Very nice set! And I was happy mine arrived without damage. I'd heard a lot of complaints from people that bought it via Amazon, and they were dismayed to discover that their sets had been crushed in shipping. :squigglemouth:

@Karlos first turned me onto Arrow's UK Blu-ray via Argento and Fulci releases. He said that in the beginning they had some problems (technical stuff), but they seem to have upped their quality control in these past few years. Last one I watched was their release of the 1978 INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, and it kicked ass. Very good special features and audio commentary.

Have you seen any of these films @Takuma?

No, I haven't. For a moment I thought I might have seen The Rambling Guitarist but what I saw was actually Return of the Vagabond - another film in the same series.

NEW UK/US TITLE: Outlaw: Gangster VIP Collection (Arrow Video) Dual Format DVD & Blu-ray

A gritty yakuza yarn based on the writings of real life ex-gangster Goro Fujita.

Pre-order your UK copy here: http://bit.ly/1Zfpafe
North American pre-orders links should be live soon!

UK Release Date: 18th April 2016
US Release Date: 19th April 2016
Region: Region free

In 1968, acclaimed director Toshio Masuda (Rusty Knife, Tora! Tora! Tora!) and rising star Tetsuya Watari (Tokyo Drifter) teamed up for Outlaw: Gangster VIP, a gritty yakuza yarn based on the writings of real life ex-gangster Goro Fujita.

The series offers up a depiction of the Japanese underworld that was unprecedented in its realism and its sympathetic portrayal of its protagonist as a man haunted by his past, unable to escape a life of crime. The success of the initial instalment spawned five sequels, continuing the story of the lone wolf “Slasher” Goro and his quest for redemption.

The films presented a new kind of realism and violence that would prefigure Kinji Fukasaku’s Battles Without Honor and Humanity series, with their winning combination of brutal violence, gang warfare and sweeping romance, these films make for a unique and unforgettable viewing experience.

The set includes six films in the Outlaw series released for the first time in the west: Gangster VIP, Gangster VIP 2, Heartless, Goro the Assassin, Black Dagger, and Kill!

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
•Limited Edition Box Set (3000 copies) containing all six films in the Outlaw series, available with English subtitles for the first time on any home video format
•High Definition digital transfers of all six films, from original film elements by Nikkatsu Corporation
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
•Original uncompressed mono audio
•Newly translated English subtitles
•Audio commentary on Outlaw: Gangster VIP by Jasper Sharp
•Visual essay covering the entire series by Kevin Gilvear
•Original trailers for all six films
•Extensive promotional image galleries for all six films
•Exclusive gatefold packaging featuring brand new artwork by Tonci Zonjic
•Booklet featuring an interview with director Toshio Masuda by Mark Schilling, plus new writing by Schilling, Chris D and Kevin Gilvear

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140.32409.124795987554404/1110205062346820/?type=3&theater

gvip.jpg

OpiumKungFuCracker

Yes, This will look good next to my battles box set all decked out in red. Hey takuma, so this series, how does it differ from Battles? Does this have more of a centered love story that goes along with the chaotic violence? Or is this just the boys with chaotic violence against cops like in Battles without honor series. This one came before Battles, correct?

I haven't seen these films, the Japanese DVD set costs a fortune. But it's a Nikkatsu series, so I'd expect the usual difference: a bit more stylized and youthful than Toei's stuff perhaps. But I'll have to see for myself. Gonna pre-order this right away.

And yes, the films were made in 1967-1969.

7 hours ago, MagicDragon said:

And  why has Arrow NOT released any Samurai movies?

I think it could be due to Criterion already releasing most if not all the most well known Samurai flicks to a Western audience.

COF's Kyle Warner reviews Seijun Suzuki's THE INCORRIGIBLE, one of the films featured on the 4-disc Blu-ray + DVD set for Seijun Suzuki: The Early Years. Vol. 1 – Seijun Rising: The Youth Movies.

The_Bastard_poster3.jpg

theThirdMaster
On 4/13/2018 at 12:46 AM, mpm74 said:

Kyle reviews Seijun Suzuki's 8 HOURS OF TERROR, the first film in Arrow Video's upcoming Seijun Suzuki: The Early Years. Vol. 2: 

http://cityonfire.com/eight-hours-of-terror-8-1957-review-seijun-suzuki/

That review sounds promising.  There was nothing bad in Vol. 1, but nothing great either.  I don't see myself revisiting any of the titles for a long time, if ever.  Vol. 2 looks promising.  The style/genre is more inline with my taste.

Actually Vol. 2 is in hand, it was delivered yesterday.  The packaging is gorgeous (like Vol. 1), but it may be a bit a few weeks till I crack it open and start watching the movies.

Archived