Jet Li

Dravenbran

1 hour ago, Praying Snake said:
But Li was still too powerful for the cameras, Yuen says, offering perhaps the ultimate accolade to the star. “Li had so much power in his kick that we didn’t manage to capture the full force of it on film. He has the power of 

What a great compliment !!

1 hour ago, Praying Snake said:

“He was a five-time champion of the National Wushu Awards [in China], so you can imagine how capable he is.

“For example, I was filming a shot that was just one kick to the stuntman,” Yuen continues. “Li is so strong that the first time he kicked, the number one stuntman had to go straight to hospital. Second try – and the number two stuntman had to go straight to the hospital, too. We decided that we had to change the protective gear after that, and that worked.”

I'm not surprised at all ! I saw him as a child and teenager in a documentary (I don't remember if it's Dragons from the Orient or This is kung fu), and he was already very fast and powerful, so, I don't understand people who criticize him as mentioned by @DrNgor.

As someone said here about Jackie having doubles too (if I remember well), maybe it's the directors who don't want the star to be hurt and ask him to have a stunt double for some dangerous shots...

• Like 4

As i recall Born to Defense nearly broke him. He injuried his lower back so badly that it put him out of work for two years.  Jet is not a skilled stunt man like Jackie Chan or Sammo or Yuen Biao.  Jet has amazing skills as a Martial Artist thats often overlooked by alot of people just because he practices Wushu thats not deemed as a good way for self-defense.  

I do believe it's more a Golden Harvest thing of Jackie  not wanting him do every dangerous stunt fearing he'll get hurt seriously or dying.  Jackie is a great stunt man but..... What happens god forbid something should happen to him?   Jackie had used doubles for some stunts and some moves he wasn't able to do for whatever reason.  It doesn't take away how amazing Jackie is. Jet Li's doubles don't take away how amazing Jet is as a Martial Artist.   So what Jet had two doubles in Once Upon a Time in China or some other flims, they're there to make sure Jet doesn't get seriously hurt.  At times to keep up with the flim schedule intime for it's release as well.

8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

What a great compliment !!

I'm not surprised at all ! I saw him as a child and teenager in a documentary (I don't remember if it's Dragons from the Orient or This is kung fu), and he was already very fast and powerful, so, I don't understand people who criticize him as mentioned by @DrNgor.

As someone said here about Jackie having doubles too (if I remember well), maybe it's the directors who don't want the star to be hurt and ask him to have a stunt double for some dangerous shots...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sym8 said:

Never seen this before,don’t know what’s being said(Japanese I think)but I think it was about the time of the Shaolin Temple movies

https://youtu.be/TgrILCRhpOE

I've not seen this before either, but you're quite right about it being in Japanese. I've only watched about 1min and have already seen Sun Jian Kui from Jet Li's movies. This should be interesting.

Cheers

• Like 3

Cognoscente

In Wong Jing's memoir, he had the following to say about Jet: "He regarded me as a friend in a way that some stars never really did. He is my favourite person out of all the Chinese actors. He is relaxed, low-key and doesn't engage in mischief or spite. Among all the stars who I know, I regard him as a very special person."

Jing also had this to say: "Jackie Chan is very good at unarmed screen fighting, but when it comes to weapons, especially Chinese weapons, I think that Jet Li is the best. Yuen Woo-Ping calls him a Kung Fu dictionary, but I think that Lau Kar-Leung is a Kung Fu encyclopaedia."

• Like 4

Cognoscente

There aren't that many photos of Jet with Raymond Chow as there are of Bruce with Chow. Jet worked with Chow for a little while longer than Bruce did.

Online, I only found one colour photo of Jet with Chow. The below page was taken from the 263rd issue (December '91) of Cinemart.

263dec91.jpg

20201230154113191319.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/9/2021 at 5:07 PM, Cognoscente said:

In the May '93 issue of Cinemart, Jet Li's anglicised name was Lian Jie.

017d9c51923cb8ce13_b.jpg

may93.jpg

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Jet's complete Chinese name is Li Lian Jie or Li Liang Jie, I don't precisely remember.

• Like 2

J.J. Hayden

While going through some of the stuff I saved from Naver, I came across these adorable pics of Jet Li Lian-jie when he was a kid, but I also noticed that one of them (or perhaps all) feature a lil Xu Xiang-dong too, so cute.

image.jpeg.e16e42b3d53dfc2ffa51c2ffba38575c.jpeg

image.jpeg.7dae601b0c0f8e1f0c38df73eecb79f9.jpeg

image.jpeg.126411cbf1c0ccb4e234dc4c329aced6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I was cleaning up the house and found my Bodyguard from Beijing VCD with the original soundtrack.  Not gonna misplace this again.

bodyguard from beijing.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Yeah, I think he looks like an average man going into his 60s. Maybe the hyperthyroidism did play a big part in his aging process, but people are exaggerating too much on his current appearance due to him being a celebrity. Celebrities in Asia are often associated with good looks and healthy lifestyle.

I wish him all the best in life, and health. He seems happy with what he's doing now. Here's hoping for more of his classic movies being released on bluray and UHD as a remembrance of his successful career.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

2 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Chinese language media was reporting yesterday that apparently he fell into illness again and is currently unable to even walk.

So sad news !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Chinese language media was reporting yesterday that apparently he fell into illness again and is currently unable to even walk.

Do you have links to the articles? Was it legit media reporting it or "gossip rags"?

• Like 1

I hope he is OK.

Jet Li comes across as one of the nicest dudes ever! Up there with Chow Yun Fat as two of my fave HK stars.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1