Jet Li

Dravenbran

Never believed I wouldn't see a single Jet Li thread in a kung fu forum, so I am starting one.

Huge Jet Li fan, I love his work, both in films as an actor/martial artist and as a philanthropist, with his One Foundation

charity organization.

He is simply the martial artist with a golden heart. For me, he is on the top, he is the greatest.

My top Jet Li films:

Ocean Heaven

Hero

Danny the Dog

Kiss of the Dragon

Fearless

Fist of Legend

The One

Tai Chi Master

Once upon a time in china series

Jet-Li-004.jpg

• Like 2

I love all his American films, apart from Cradle 2 the grave. Romeo is a favourite.

I used to say that of CRADLE 2 THE GRAVE, until I watched the third Mummy film and ROGUE, at which point all was forgiven. ROMEO is one of the films I feel compelled to stop everything I'm doing to watch.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Have to say I don't care for either Romeo Must Die or Cradle 2 The Grave. Both are full of horrible wirework. Ugh.

Kiss of the Dragon and Unleashed (Danny the Dog) have some of my favorite fights he's done. And Fist of Legend, of course.

• Like 2

John_the_Dreamer

Another from Fist of Legend. I think this is one of the better directed martial arts films ever, especially in the fight filmography. Perfect for Li's style. 

My Favorite Jet Li movie of all time is New Legend of Shaolin

I also like Kung Fu Cult Master even though the second part wasn't finished

My Favorite Jet Li movie of all time is New Legend of Shaolin

I also like Kung Fu Cult Master even though the second part wasn't finished

You could Always watch Kung Fu Cult Master and then the Shaw Bros Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber films to see how it would've ended. 

• Like 1

You could Always watch Kung Fu Cult Master and then the Shaw Bros Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber films to see how it would've ended. 

Oh okay so it is the same theme? I have the three films in the Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber series with Derek Yee. I haven't watched them yet. Thanks for the heads up Doc.

I haven't seen him in Ocean Heaven but I like that he really got into the topic of Autism and raised awareness of it as a result of the film.

It's funny I don't necessarily think of him as one of my favorite actors but when I look back he has done a lot of films I like. 

I especially liked the Sorcerer and the White Snake.

And I did like Fong Sai Yuk series.

How could I forget this this is one of my all time favorite fight scenes it is just so beautiful especially with the music, The fight scene with him and Donnie Yen in Hero

Edited by Hei Meigui
  • Like 2

It's a shame he hasn't been up to par lately with the the crap he's churning out. But whenever I go back to his 1986-2006 era, I'm quickly being reminded of how I got into his films in the first place.

My top Jet Li movies (no order):

Martial Arts of Shaolin

Danny The Dog

Kiss Of The Dragon

Fearless

Fist of Legend

OUATIC Trilogy

My Father Is A Hero

The Bodyguard From Beijing

Hitman

The Master (I don't care what everyone says)

Born to Defense

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

Big Jet Li fan. I think he won the 90's over Jackie Chan. I've noticed that I prefer Li in period martial arts films and Chan in modern day martial arts films. Didn't care to much for "Bodyguard from Bejing" and "My Father is a Hero".

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

A couple of questions: does anyone know of an interview where Jet Li talks about filming Born to Defense?  Also is there an interview of him discussing apologizing to Jackie Chan for High Risk?  I seem to remember one, but I cannot find anything in my notes.

• Like 1

Did anyone here ever see the Extended Version of Danny the Dog/Unleashed? If so, does the extra fight time make much of a difference in the overall quality of the film?

1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

Did anyone here ever see the Extended Version of Danny the Dog/Unleashed? If so, does the extra fight time make much of a difference in the overall quality of the film?

I dont own the Extended version, but my copy has the full length fight scenes in the Special Features section. Not got round to watching those yet, there on a long list of extra's I need to catch up on.

2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

According to this forum thread from 2007, the quality severely dips during the extended fight scenes.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

When Donnie Yen met Jet Li.

I still remember the Kung Fu Cinema interview where Donnie Yen states that Jet Li told Zhang Yimou that if he wanted to the best fight of all time for that movie, he needed to bring in Donnie Yen. Which means that he felt Donnie was more talented than Zhao Wenzhuo (who fought him once in FONG SAI YUK) and Chin Siu-Ho (who fought him twice in FIST OF LEGEND and TAI CHI MASTER), and they had only done one film together.

• Like 2

There's utmost respect between the two for sure, no wonder Jet Li felt that Donnie was needed for Hero and that Donnie has stated that Jet is his favorite among all martial arts actors he has worked with in his entire career.

As for Vincent Zhao, Corey Yuen (I think it was on the Dragon Dynasty DVD) has actually stated on record that Vincent Zhao was arrogant on the set of Fong Sai Yuk which may imply that there's was kind of a feud between him and Jet Li and why them both never worked together again. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Apparently this pic of a frail looking Jet has gone viral. His manager states it's just a bad looking pic and that he's actually ding well...

tumblr_p94rj7U60x1v6w3juo1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

DragonClaws
2 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Apparently this pic of a frail looking Jet has gone viral. His manager states it's just a bad looking pic and that he's actually ding well...

The media love to reveal pictures of once really fit and active stars, as they age of let themselves go. In Jet Li's case he has a serious illness as we all know. My mum has suffered from Thyroid trouble for years, and had her's removedcompletely. It can kick the living shit out of you, and there's no wonder he doesnt look like he did in his thirtys. He does look older, but then none of us getting any younger. The man next to him has his hand on Jet, which makes him look frailer.

Much respect for Jet Li, there's many people who wouldnt even want to be photogrpahed while their ill.

• Like 2