What's your style? (Which martial arts do you study?)

Chinatown Kid

Not like anyone asked, but some things come to mind:

-I want to shoot whoever did the music for that first video.

-Nanchaku in Hung Gar? That's news to me.

-Every country, in fact, does not have it's own martial art; the one we $%&* live in, pour example.

-"Kung fu is unique" is something I'm sure people love to argue about, but speaking so broadly about the entirety of Chinese MA being an "art-form" gives me a frowny face.

-Karate is, principally speaking, a Ryukyuan martial art. It only became popular in Japan around the 1900s.

-Likewise, speaking so broadly about the Ryukyuan MA as being "hard" and "mechanical" is not correct. Goju Ryu is a widespread school of Karate that literally has the "Ju" from "Judo" right there in the name.

Ignorance of MA that aren't Hung Gar is one thing, but at least twice he describes HG as something to the effect of being "a form" of self-defense. Yet later on, he says HG is not about "fighting". A lot of MA schools tack-on self defense in their marketing, but few if any are really prepared to deliver on the premise. Self defense skills are essentially fighting skills; the ability to function under extreme duress is something developed by experiencing it again and again. It's exhausting, intensive training that most aren't up for.

In any event, I'm sure your interest in HG has more do with it's value as cultural heritage. I think it's admirable that people are still willing to keep these things alive today, although I believe some MA schools try and boost enrollment by appealing to a wider audience; hence the allusions to self defense. Further, this instructor seems to have no idea about the Ryukyuan MA, which had a very strong influence from Southern Chinese kung fu at various points in history; the aformentioned Goju Ryu is a later incarnation, but has direct incorporation of Shaolin and Bagua kung fu.

He IS an older fellow who probably doesn't give a toss, but things like HG don't exist in a vacuum; his comments about things not so distantly related casts some question towards his quality (although it says nothing of his legitimacy).

The Amazing Psycho Per
Not like anyone asked, but some things come to mind:

Well, thanks for your input... I've always been on the fence about this school, something just doesn't seem quite right... And yes, you are right, if I gave a shit about self defense, I'd do something else then Hung Gar.

• Administrator
Well, thanks for your input... I've always been on the fence about this school, something just doesn't seem quite right... And yes, you are right, if I gave a shit about self defense, I'd do something else then Hung Gar.

Hey bro, I don't know anything about this school except what I just saw in the videos. But I always say "follow your instincts". If your gut is saying "something just doesn't seem quite right", then you should listen. Humans are the only creatures that ignore their instincts. Many of us think we don't need to pay attention to our instincts since we have logic. I disagree.

I would say I don't like some of what I see, but it looks like a good-in if that's all that's going on around you. I'd say go for it; at very worst you'd learn a few stances, bit of keep fit maybe. If they teach the treasure forms of hung gar, Taming the tiger", "tiger crane" "iron wire", then that'd be good - even learning these a bit superficially would be a beginning at very least, you'd just have to learn substance. Do they have substance there? Who knows, vids are lacking. Hung kuen's beauty is in basics, drilled the most for proper power generation & subtlty, & everything, & I mean everything, is applicable against an opponent in some manner, often multiply nuanced - this all informs the basics. Maybe they don't know how to apply all the basics? Who knows? Give it a crack & criticise everything, educate yourself outside & see how you can begin to make it work for you practically, if it doesn't sync with their teaching then time will out. It's all a learning experience anyway. Time might bring some proper learned folk your way, any start's a start. If you watch oldschool stuff you know what some good kung looks like, sync it up; check everything!

I'm an Advanced student training in Ip Man Wing Chun Kung Fu under Sifu Dan Anderson in Southern, CA.

Or lineage goes: Dan Anderson--Master Ron Heimberger--Grandmaster Ip Ching----Grandmaster Ip Man

For the first few years before I met Sifu Anderson, I trained at a different school where it was a lot less contact and more form driven. It wasn't as good. When I came to train under Sifu Anderson, his 6 month students wiped the floor with me easily even though I had 2 years of training at a different teacher.

But, after training with my new Sifu just over a year, I have greatly improved. I am learning the last of the 3 empty hand forms and have memorized the Mook Yan Joong wooden dummy.

I fell that Wing Chun is a pretty street ready martial art for everyday life. If you're attacked on the street, you'll be able to defend yourself with it. I wouldn't know about other esoteric styles of Kung Fu. It all depends on your Sifu's skill at teaching and his power.

We have a saying, once you touch hands with a practitioner, you'll know if they're for real or not. It's all in feeling their technique, power and skill.

Been training in various styles since 1983, Chang Chuan, Wing Chun, Choy Lay Fat, Lau Gar,kickboxing, Tai Chi, Steelwire Mantis (4 lessons only) etc. In March 1996 met my teacher Jim Uglow and have studied orthodox (Jing Chung) Hung Kuen ever since.

My teacher's lineage is:

Jim Uglow

|

Chan Hon Chung

|

Lam Sai Wing

|

Wong Fei Hung

|

Wong Kei Ying

|

Luk Ah Choy

|

Hung Hei Goon

|

Gee Sim Sin See

The Amazing Psycho Per
I would say I don't like some of what I see, but it looks like a good-in if that's all that's going on around you. I'd say go for it; at very worst you'd learn a few stances, bit of keep fit maybe. If they teach the treasure forms of hung gar, Taming the tiger", "tiger crane" "iron wire", then that'd be good - even learning these a bit superficially would be a beginning at very least, you'd just have to learn substance. Do they have substance there? Who knows, vids are lacking. Hung kuen's beauty is in basics, drilled the most for proper power generation & subtlty, & everything, & I mean everything, is applicable against an opponent in some manner, often multiply nuanced - this all informs the basics. Maybe they don't know how to apply all the basics? Who knows? Give it a crack & criticise everything, educate yourself outside & see how you can begin to make it work for you practically, if it doesn't sync with their teaching then time will out. It's all a learning experience anyway. Time might bring some proper learned folk your way, any start's a start. If you watch oldschool stuff you know what some good kung looks like, sync it up; check everything!

Ok, thanks for the reply... It really is the only possibility available... I'll see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn_aoKRQdXo

popsjnr aka santaranks is doing Lau Gar Kwan and Butterfly Knives in this video.

This guy isnt good. Plus the way he spouts his mouth off. I am sure he makes his sifu proud.

Not everyone can be expert( I suck at choy lee fut even as done it 12 years) and I guess most of us do this to keep himself fit and maybe even meet new friends through hobby. Martial Art Heroes exist mostly in movies only, it`s not important in daily life can you perform perfectly black tiger form or do butterfly twist...

Not everyone can be expert( I suck at choy lee fut even as done it 12 years) and I guess most of us do this to keep himself fit and maybe even meet new friends through hobby. Martial Art Heroes exist mostly in movies only, it`s not important in daily life can you perform perfectly black tiger form or do butterfly twist...

I agree with this statement and as a result it is now time to close the thread.Thanks for all positive contributions.

After a very amicable private request with reasonable suggestions by a main contributor of this thread for it to be reopened,the thread will be reinstated given the circumstances and issues of the plea and we sincerely hope that the good intentions of the majority for the positive discussions will prevail but if things get out of hand again then the entire thread will sadly be deleted for good.

• Administrator

Many thanks to the mods for reopening this thread. :bigsmile: It's always been one of my favorites, and has been around as long as I've been on the forum.

"A plea for peace"

I implore fellow forum members to "take the high road" when confronted with negative nonsense. Constructive criticism and healthy debate are one thing, but purposely baiting one another is really unnecessary. Yes, all humans are flawed, but it's the ones that are aware of this and try to overcome their flaws that move forward in life. :wink:

I think if a new discussion like that de-rails a popular thread maybe the mods could move those posts into a new thread?

Or maybe institute a policy where posters should just start a new thread with a quote from the previous discussion?

Chinatown Kid

I would just like to add to what my friend Bob so elegantly stated, and that is I started this thread in the spirit of "Martial Brotherhood" and the love of the arts and common bond we all share, if we all respect one another we shouldn't have any more conflicts in this thread. :smile:

Good intentions are necessary, but not sufficient.

Our past derailments obviously involved parties that believed their behaviour to be appropriate and yet could not engage in productive discussion. Any such exchange being a two-way street, even if one party is making efforts to be reasonable this will not prevent another from giving in to their frustration.

My experiences elsewhere are that forums can mitigate these problems with further participation on the part of moderators. Looking back on this thread, I wonder if some of the offending points haven't been swept-up at this point. Nevertheless, I sincerely doubt it would have become so unsightly if someone with moderating power was available to target the root(s) of the problem. If that did occur and was unsuccessful, I can understand why the thread was closed down.

That said, it took a while for things to deterioate that far, so I imagine it will be a while again before we're staring down that barrel. I think it's worth it; this is a good thread.

Hey guys and gals,

Just curious what martial arts do you practice?

I'll start off...

Couch potato that occasionally visits youtube to practice Wing Chun with Master Wong :)

I am a corrector of bad Kung Fu!

Your Kung Fu's no good!

Who in the hell tought you??

I'll beat any man in this thread in 60 seconds!!!

rk1qKUAN-8w

:xd:

My kung fu is so powerful that I can break a man's neck just by staring at him.

In dubbed voice: "Hmm... You must know The Force technique, then..."

:nerd:

Guest Anonymous

Who here trains in martial arts? If you do list your style, how long you trained, and any ranks. Also did you compete in tournaments, if so what events?

I train in Taekwondo. I have trained in it for 20 years. I teach Taekwondo to a few students. I am only 3rd degree black belt, but if I had tested on time would be 6th. But I should test for 4th this year. I used to compete in Taekwondo tournaments doing all events such as forms, sparring, and sometimes board breaking. I went so far as to compete in the junior olympics at age 14. I have also trained in various other styles but never earned ranks.

I like to hone my kickboxing skills and I also watch MMA.

BiggWill1988

Awesome stuff man!, Ive trained on and off for 6 years. 2006-2010. Then 2014-present. I'm 2nd Kyu Brown Belt in Japanese Jiu-Jitusu with a certification to teach it and I'm also a Green Belt in Nagare Do Sogo Ryu. Ive taugh seminars and classes. Ive never been in any tournaments.

Secret Executioner

I have 2 pairs of nunchakus and I practice a bit with exercices taken from a manual I have. I also have a couple of Fu manuals and I try to perform the shapes shown (one regroups a couple of techniques from several styles, so there's like 3 moves from Hung Gar, 2 of Northern Mantis and a couple of Drunken Fist - amongst others).

I'm not really that good (never been very athletic and was really lousy at sports back at school), but I don't want to become a master. Just want to have some fun and have some exercice that isn't imposed (like the sport classes in school...).