What's your style? (Which martial arts do you study?)

Chinatown Kid

You can't go wrong with western boxing, it is the "science of punching"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070502093035.htm

ScienceDaily (May 3, 2007) — Blows to the head in amateur boxing appear to cause brain damage, according to research that presented at the American Academy of Neurology's 59th Annual Meeting in Boston, April 28 -- May 5, 2007.

I'm interested in Daido Juku; they have a custom bit of head gear that supposedly protects a bit better. Otherwise, the plethora of studies indicating brain damage with MA-related head trauma are hardly encouraging.

Collegiate style wrestling for two years of high, Shaolin Black Dragon, Wu Family System ever since (over 20 years). It encourages cross training, so I have worked with many other martial arts the last couple of decades.

Lau family hung kuen for past year and a half. Every day, as much as humanly possible. I've ached in ways I'd never thought imaginable, I'm gradually loosening into it though & getting more comfortable.

Still training Shukokai Karate but dropped the Kickboxing about 4 months ago in favour of Original JKD and loving the simplicity of it. Hopefully never have to use anything ever again in rel-life (last real scrap was in1998!).

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

My (style) is: Tai Chi Tu-Whirlwind Palms.

A system based on the underlying principals of the yin-yang symbols inner motions.

It moves in a 16 Phase Motion, 8 x 8. Its a walking art form.

More similar to Ba Qua than Tai Chi Chuan.

It trains the body to move as ONE unit in all motions.

Tai Chi Tu = Supreme Ultimate Pole............... the Chinese name for the yin-yang polarities.

My own invention, which began in 1985. I presented my initial discovery's to DR. Yang Ming Jwing. Who said: " You have discovered a new form of Tai Chi if you have the discipline you can achieve the same results as the Masters".

Well I am still working on this and as of yet not becoming a Master but its still fun to practice.

GD Y-Y

loempiavreter

Did Taekwondo when I was aged 12 till possibly 14. Then I started with Jeet Kune Do from age 16-19. And now I started doing MMA from age 20-22.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070502093035.htm

I'm interested in Daido Juku; they have a custom bit of head gear that supposedly protects a bit better. Otherwise, the plethora of studies indicating brain damage with MA-related head trauma are hardly encouraging.

Actually, you'll find that most of those studies involve boxing gloves.... at least that is what my former gungfu student and doctor of neuroscience specializing in repetitive brain injuries tells me (he has since moved away to accept a position at a university in California but I speak with him fairly often)!

I have been involved in the Martial Arts for many years now since i was seven years old trainning in the art of Shuidokan Karate, till my old techer left and was replaced by a phony claiming that he killed a man in the ring, hated Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Sammo Hung, and Donnie Yen so much he clamims he could beat Donnie in a fight. since then i've dabbled with Northen Shaolin Kung Fu, Wing Chun, Hung Gar Kung Fu Taekwondo, Sanshou, Western Boxing, Kyokushin Karate,Jeet Kune Do, and Muay Thai. I haven't mastarted all of them but i still train hard even from this day, learning something new maybe perhaps im too crazy about the Martial Arts that im so into it.

If any of you guys live in Houston, are you willing to give out lesson to a young grasshopper like myself???

Had a quick scour of Houston kung schools (you got to remember regardless of style advertised not all teachings are created equal!), looks like this is a reasonable bet; seems his lineage is legit... go to this man & ask to learn choi lee fut if you can perhaps: http://www.chuskungfu.sifuchu.com/sifu.html

Hunt around if you're interested. Is there a Chinatown near you? Maybe something's going on there?

Actually, you'll find that most of those studies involve boxing gloves.... at least that is what my former gungfu student and doctor of neuroscience specializing in repetitive brain injuries tells me (he has since moved away to accept a position at a university in California but I speak with him fairly often)!

I'm at a loss; I kind of thought that was obvious? And what's the significance of gloves as oppoosed to bare-knuckle? Either way there is concussive force involved, which is the agent behind chronic brain trauma, is it not?

ShaOW!linDude
I started going back to aikdo classes. Its a lot of fun but its cutting into my couch surfing/watching kung fu movies time.

How dare you actually learn a discipline rather than sit and watch and anal-retentively analyze a bunch of MA movies like most of us!:tongue:

I've been enjoying Judo for about 5 years now, still stuck on Brown Belt though as I don't compete, I just do it for the exercise and the social aspects of attending the club every week.

As these things can take a lifetime to get good at I doubt I'll ever get around to learning a new martial art, but never say never.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Hey peri, you seem very knowledgeable about Hung Gar. I live in Montreal and want to learn Hung Gar and this seem to be pretty much the only option... I'd like to have your input on this school if you don't mind...

ks54RmBjcdI&feature=related

o2p0bduvNlU