What's your style? (Which martial arts do you study?)

Chinatown Kid

Drunken Monk
wondering who here practices kung fu in real life?

anyone in the chicagoland area? im trying to get into wing chun or jeet kune do...

I used to do Wing Chun in Chicago for a very short time. I found classes through http://www.chicagowingchun.com/ with Sifu Ken Harnish.

While it was interesting and enlightening, I found it a little overpriced for what it was and wasn't all that big on the methods taught.

You might want to try Windy City Wing Chun.

Way of the Dragon
wondering who here practices kung fu in real life?

anyone in the chicagoland area? im trying to get into wing chun or jeet kune do...

Jeet Kune Do is awesome im sure there are places around there that do it. I do Jeet Kune Do in the UK, which was really hard to find. I think it would be easier where you live.

try: http://www.yellowbook.com/search/?what=jeet%20kune%20do&who=&where=chicago

no offense bro but i aint buying it

thats's ok, it wasn';t posted for people to say they believe it or not. It is what happened and I am letting folks know a benefit of horse stances.

crazedjustice888

Don't know if this thread is too old to respond too, but I thought I would throw in my two cents.

I have studied, TKD (Tae-Kwon-Doe), Karate, Ninjutsu, Taijutsu, Zenketsugo, Aikido, and now two different branches of Hung Gar.

THe Hung Gar Kung Fu being my favorite out of all of them. This one has won me the most bouts.

Way of the Dragon
Don't know if this thread is too old to respond too, but I thought I would throw in my two cents.

I have studied, TKD (Tae-Kwon-Doe), Karate, Ninjutsu, Taijutsu, Zenketsugo, Aikido, and now two different branches of Hung Gar.

THe Hung Gar Kung Fu being my favorite out of all of them. This one has won me the most bouts.

Thats some pretty awesome stuff, its good you have studied many different styles, because i dont think you should limit yourself to one style. I do Jeet Kune Do with Kali, Wing Chun and Ju jitsu incorporated in it. I will be studying some Aikido soon, i dont know what thats going to be like.

crazedjustice888
Thats some pretty awesome stuff, its good you have studied many different styles, because i dont think you should limit yourself to one style. I do Jeet Kune Do with Kali, Wing Chun and Ju jitsu incorporated in it. I will be studying some Aikido soon, i dont know what thats going to be like.

Why thank you. I agree with you. I just like the Hung style and how broad it actually can be if you truly get into it. So I will be sticking with this one for a while thats for sure. XD

Very nice, I had a chance to take JKD, but apparently I knew more about the style than the instructor himself...that told me no no:(

I can't remember much about the Aikido style, since I have found many more things more useful to my body type, but its basically a lot of flipping...lol. Its all about controlling your opponents balance. To be honest, I couldn't tell you the difference between Aikido and Judo since its been so long since I took it. Now that I look at them in actual fights, they look exactly the same...hmm....:o

Chinatown Kid

Anybody ever heard of Jailhouse Rock? Not the Elvis song but a style develeped in the US penial system by inmates supossedly and was one of the three styles used in the finale fight between Mel Gibson and Gary Busey in the original Lethal Weapon. The other two styles used was Gracie Jiujitsu and Capoeria.....

Anybody ever heard of Jailhouse Rock? Not the Elvis song but a style develeped in the US penial system by inmates supossedly

Yep, it's more commonly known as 52 Blocks.

Chinatown Kid
Yep, it's more commonly known as 52 Blocks.

Thanks for the info Fab, I had no idea it was known by that term as well. I found out about the style in the special features info on the Lethal Weapon Director's Cut disc and thought it was interesting. Have you studied the style or are maybe familar with the techniques?

Have you studied the style or are maybe familar with the techniques?

Never studied it and to be honest it is virtually unknown here in the UK.

As far as techniques go they don't use anything that can't be found in pretty much any other art. What they do have that is different than what is found in most other arts is their attitude and mental intent when it comes to what they are doing.

I did Aikido years ago its pretty fun if you like throwing people:D

Hey man your not intruding on anything, everyone's opinon is valid and the more viewpoints we hear the better. I think all arts/fighting methods have value, it's just finding out what works for you that counts. I'm not closed minded when it comes to styles and am willing to include anything in my arsenal if it's effective and useful. The thing is you don't want to be style hopping to quickly and never stay in one thing long enough to master it or at least use it effectively. :)
I agree with this...personally I think too many people get into stuff like martial arts because they treat it as a fad. Some people bounce around based on what happens to be the latest martial fad. In the 1940s and '50s judo was the "fad." The '60s saw Karate as a fad...the '70s saw a Kung Fu fad...the '80s saw the "ninja" fad...in the '90s it was Muay Thai, TKD and Gracie Jiu Jutsu...This decade you have a bunch of "weird" stuff like Krav Maga. You have people bouncing around from one thing to the next looking for the "ultimate system." Then you had people who didn't do their homework when they started so they are perpetually searching for skills that round out what their previous systems didn't cover.

Some of my advice when looking for a system is the following:

1. Look for a system that best reflects your mentality. If you are an aggressive person look for an aggressive system such as Shao Lin Long Fist, TKD or Muay Thai. If you are more passive then something like Ai Ki Jutsu or Jiu Jitsu is a good choice. Then there are always systems that combine the two such as Long Fist, Hap Ki Do, or Choy Li Fut.

2. Look for something that is best for your somatotype, physique and build. People with long legs would do well to learn TKD for example.

3. Chose something that you really like.

• Like 1

I had a thread like this a few years ago at the old Kung Fu Fandom and decided since we have picked up alot of new members since then to do this again. If any of you members currently or have ever trained in a Martial Art please list the style or styles, it would really be cool to see what arts other members of this forum have done. Even if you didn't study for long or didn't achieve any kind of rank, please feel free to list any training. I personally watch these Martial arts movies we talk about on here to help keep me motivated and inspired in my on training. Anyways, here's what I've studied over the years:

Taekwondo-this is what I currently study and have so far reached second degree Black Belt.

I've also dabbled in Wing Chun and Judo.

So guys, what's your style? :)

I dabbled in a bit of Tibetan White Crane, 7 star style, boxing and one or two other things but, never became advanced.

Ok, first of all I am only speaking from my own personal experience and jiujitsu77 I agree with you 100% that it isn't so much the art as the practitioner that makes the difference.

I would like to quickly address one point in that the grappling that Larry Hartsell did had no connection with Jeet Kune Do...my honest opinion on what Jeet Kune Do is and is not.

I am coming from a fighting background, not a competition or sports based background but a fighting one. In a fight there are more efficient, simple and direct ways of dealing with the situation (if it gets physical) than grappling.

For me my concern is how I can stop an aggressor as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Why would I want to grapple and roll around the floor with him when I can stop him by ramming his eye into the back of his skull, breaking his knee which is very easily done or smacking him on the jaw and knocking him out??

Working on the doors I have seen people grapple and get stabbed while doing it, get their heads jumped on by other people who aren't involved, had their faces stamped on by 4, 5 or 6 people while they have been down on the deck and god knows what else.

I am asking myself why do I want to use both my hands to try and grapple with someone when I can use either to knock him out??

If someone tries to grapple with me how can I stop him as fast and efficiently as possible??

I'm not saying any particular art is better than any other..far from it. I can only speak from my own experience and what I know works for me and has saved my neck more times than I care to remember.

Those are good points...Boxers often say "Why block a punch when you can slip it an retain two free hands?"

Personally I advocate studying a well rounded system like Long Fist, La Ma or Choi Li Fut if possible. Some situations may better be handled with striking and others with grappling. Some situations may need both or a familiarity with weapons even. What if a "buddy" gets drunk and tries to fight you? What if an aquaintance gets inebriated and tries to feel up the chick he's with? A grapple such as arm lock or some sort of hold may be more appropriate if you only want to stop the person and not hurt him. Then again a simple punch to the stomach may work too. It all depends. Your body type may lend you to use one technique over another as well. It's good to have more than one kind of technique you can rely on.

For example, the chick well versed in TKD may find herself in real trouble if she gets attacked while walking on ice in Central Park wearing high heeled boots and a long skirt and coat...really hard to do the jump upside down cork-screw kick of death under those conditions. Not everyone is Li Choi Fung. Similarly, the Ju Do dude getting jumped on the streets of Chigago one summer afternoon may wish he knew more than grappling when he gets cut up by the shards of broken glass on the ground as he rolls his assailant up into a choke hold.

My favorite systems tend to be those which are well rounded and offer a set of alternative techiques. For example La Ma boxing offers punches and kicks, Chin Na, Shuai Jiao (wrestling) and weapons.

One dimensional systems are still very much better than nothing and if you're smart (and that's what it largely comes down to) that's all you'll need.

markgway...it is never too late to train. and god hopes you never have to use it. honestly, some of the best martial artists in the world never fight (probably because they are too ****ing busy training) remember, "it's only a fair fight if I win"

anywhooo. i am a 20 something male with spikey frosted hair and an array of tapout and affliction tshirts. i smoke and drink, and frequent many bars looking for my next "cagefight". kimbo slice rules!!

ok im kidding again. really im glad chinatown kid did this, because it shows that some of us film geeks do know how to stir things up. i have been in bjj for 10 years, and have studied various karate and kung fu styles when i was younger. ive done alot of kali under ron kazak and most recently ron balicki (inosanto's pupil). starting to love it. muay thai is alot of fun as well. hell il train in just about anything. despite my love for mixed martial arts and the more eclectic ma's, i cannot denounce my love for martial arts cinema. if it was not for samurai sunday and bruce li on channel 66, i would not be where i am today. i think alot of us here can attribute our love for martial arts to cinema

rock and roll karate

True, it's never too late. I would recommend to people like Markgway something like Tai Qi Quan, Ba Gua, Li Huo Ba Fa, Hsing I or Aiki-jutsu if they're worried about the training being a bit too arduous for an older person.

I've been thinking about Tai Chi for a while now and plan to get set up in the right class if I can find it. I think I have. Fortunately for me however, when it comes to self defense I also have some firearms training and the option/freedom to use self defense involving a gun. It's a good idea not to put all your eggs in one basket...if you have the option.;)

Yeah all the garage training "ultimate fighters" really get on my nerves. I consider myself a martial artist first, and a fighter second. I use my Kung Fu in the ring.

It's quite a nice thing. It gets boring to see "cut and paste" thai boxing/jiu jitsu. To see some excellent TMA MMA fighters, check out Cung Le (San Shou) and Lyoto Machida (Karate).

Yeah, I laugh at the term "MMA." If it's mixed martial arts then why are the only things you see basically, boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling and Jiu Jitsu? I call "MMA," Vale Tudo, Pride fighting, FC and the like martial brawling. That's all it is...a more technical and "scientific" form of brawling...brawling turned into a sport...martial brawling.

If you want real MMA then turn to Sun da. It was the original MMA.

• Administrator
If you are more passive then something like Ai Ki Jutsu or Jiu Jitsu is a good choice. QUOTE]

Hi Jingangchan. I'm certainly not trying to be argumentative, but WHAT? :o The jujutsu that I study is anything but passive! :)

Other than disagreeing with that one comment, I really enjoyed reading your posts.

Chinatown Kid

Being from a kicking art I'm really interested in learning some Savate to compliment my TKD skills, seems the two arts would mix well together. Unfortunately Savate is not offered in my area. :(

I also train using boxing style punches to add with my kicks and of course practice using knees, elbows, and knife hand strikes taught in traditional TKD.

Ju do, Ju Jitsu, Ai Ki Do and such are passive in that they are more defensive than systems like TKD. I don't mean that they teach you to wimper and cry when you get attacked. An Ai Ki Do person is more likely to react to a punch by breaking an arm and/or throwing the attacker after the strike is thrown. A Chang Quan northern Kung Fu guy is likely to beat the attacker to the punch. One is reactive and one is proactive. :D

Being from a kicking art I'm really interested in learning some Savate to compliment my TKD skills, seems the two arts would mix well together. Unfortunately Savate is not offered in my area. :(

I also train using boxing style punches to add with my kicks and of course practice using knees, elbows, and knife hand strikes taught in traditional TKD.

If you know TKD then you probably won't gain much new from Le Boxe Francais (in the 1800s they combined Savate with boxing to get LBF). Just get a boxing trainer. It's a great workout!