What's your style? (Which martial arts do you study?)

Chinatown Kid

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I started teaching myself the nunchaku at around 15 (inspired by Bruce Lee- big surprise, huh?) and have practiced with them now for 24 years. Took some Kenpo karate for a while, and had some (limited) one on one training in Tae kwon do, Aikido, and Mui Thai boxing. Studied Shinowara Juijitsu for about 3-5 years and made red belt rank. Towards the end of my training I was suffering from a back problem and my sensei was involved in a bunch of other projects that limited his time, so he wasn't showing us a lot of new stuff. So I would teach younger students (still, a great way to learn) and practice what I'd already learned, but stopped advancing and testing, so I only made it up to red belt. Sensei also taught me some techniques from Hapkido, Ninjitsu, White Crane, and an ancient martial art from India called Varmmanie. Brutal stuff. He was an awesome teacher. Since then I've been doing some Ving Tsun, though not as seriously as I should. I also trained a bit in Iaido (This was required for me to become a teacher of Shinowara, which was my sensei's hope), and like to practice with lots of weapons. My favorite, of course, is the chucks, but I also love stick fighting and the three piece staff.

What are the weapons you guys and gals like to use?

The only thing I've done long enough to quality for having any background in is Wing Chun, which I did for about 3 or 4 months on and off. Other than that I have tried out many other classes but haven't been able to find anything to commit to since I work full time and also have to go to study after work. I know there are alot of Karate and Taekwondo and Judo classes around Sydney, but I want to see what else is out there.

I hope that in the future things will change so I can go out and get back into it, or find something new.

Good luck to all of you in your endeavours.

Karate for about 2 years

Aikido, Judo for 6 years

Aki-jistu and some ju-jitsu for about 6 years

Shaolin (five animals) kung fu for almost three years (had to stop because of knee problems : (

gravedigger666

Chen family tai chi...but I`m novice,just 2 years training...

I have friend who is 165cm tall and 140 kg..damn muscular and trained wrestling decades.He is most dangerous man I have met.Wrestling looks really boring when watch from tv but I can swear once he gets hold of you,there is no escape.you will be screaming in pain.simple grab he took made me walk into any direction he wanted or alternative is broken arm.

Guest Markgway

Cat-Fu is my style. Mostly leaping and clawing. Seems to work. ;)

I hate violence, fighting, and confrontation. Makes me anxious and nauseous to be frank. Thankfully I've managed to avoid fighting, but society is getting worse in the UK by the week and it seems like it's only a matter of time before some drunken chav with a blade has a go. I've never trained in martial arts (which no doubt puts me in a minority on this forum - just never interested me much) but for self-defence purposes I probably should have. To go back to Endsang's unfortunate headbutting incident - I must say he has the patience of a saint. As I said I detest violence but if someone physically assaulted me I would lose it on them. Everyone has the right to defend themselves and unless you're jumping on the bloke's head until his brains spill out I think you would be justified in beating the crap out of him. But if someone has a knife then as far as I'm concerned they're a threat to you life and you can do whatever it takes. if you end up killing them so be it. Your life comes first. Protect it and worry about the law afterwards. You don't get brownie points for being dead.

jiujitsu77

markgway...it is never too late to train. and god hopes you never have to use it. honestly, some of the best martial artists in the world never fight (probably because they are too ****ing busy training) remember, "it's only a fair fight if I win"

anywhooo. i am a 20 something male with spikey frosted hair and an array of tapout and affliction tshirts. i smoke and drink, and frequent many bars looking for my next "cagefight". kimbo slice rules!!

ok im kidding again. really im glad chinatown kid did this, because it shows that some of us film geeks do know how to stir things up. i have been in bjj for 10 years, and have studied various karate and kung fu styles when i was younger. ive done alot of kali under ron kazak and most recently ron balicki (inosanto's pupil). starting to love it. muay thai is alot of fun as well. hell il train in just about anything. despite my love for mixed martial arts and the more eclectic ma's, i cannot denounce my love for martial arts cinema. if it was not for samurai sunday and bruce li on channel 66, i would not be where i am today. i think alot of us here can attribute our love for martial arts to cinema

rock and roll karate

Chinatown Kid

Exactly man, if it wasn't for Black Belt theatre and Bruce Lee inspiring me I probably would have never got into Martial Arts. It was a love affair that started early for me, when I was about 12. I actually watch MA movies to keep me inspired and motivated in my own training. Grappling arts are great and very effective, I studied Judo for awhile and let me tell you,, they earned my respect. It's one hell of a work out getting on the mat and wrestling with an opponent until one taps out or is pinned, talking about a full body workout, I was exausted after a session of that. I would like to get back in a grappling art eventually like Brazilian JiuJitsu, grappling's one of the most effective ways to train as you have to apply the techniques against a fully resisting partner even though striking isn't allowed in the traditional classes. Your alot better off overall if you can grapple as well as strike. I also think lifting weights is very benifical too and lift regularly. It's great to see so many Martial Arts practicioners on this forum to know I'm not alone. And Markgway I hope you can find the time to maybe oneday find an art to study, I'm sure you will be glad you did. And you don't have to be a violent person to study the arts, it's something that will give you confidence to know you can take care of yourself hopefully without ever having to use it. I can"t stand people that study the arts and then use it to bully or intimidate other people.

jiujitsu77

well said daigoro.

and i really encourage chinatown kid to try bjj. i have found it to be a sort of "chess on the mat". sure the art has it's flaws, but then again, what art does not?

now...i think what im going to do now is study a little TKD with delon flash legs tan ( he has a school in CA and my band is playing gigs out there next year. plus i hear he travels and does seminars)just so i can geek out and have him sign my tattoo connection dvd haha also wouldnt mind going to canada to train in karate with cheng sing. it probably would be counterproductive to my mma training, but then again, i dont give a sheehite. these dudes are masters and any info i can get from them would be worth it's weight in gold.

on another side note...god bless this forum. it has replaced my usual mma.tv lunch break forum lurking. everyone on here (be it a film geek or a martial artist or both) has really been helpful in any question i ask. keep it coming brothers

gravedigger666

They are not so flashy but for self defence my guess is grabling arts and boxing(western+muay thai) are most effective.Boxing because fighters learn how to receive hit and wrestling+jiujitsu because most fights eventually end up into very close quarters,no chance for kicks and punches then.WuShu I would have wanted to study but here was no school when I was younger and now my bones too old to stand tumbling and falling movements.I like chen tai chi.there is sword and some explosive movements too,not everything is slow

They are not so flashy but for self defence my guess is grabling arts and boxing(western+muay thai) are most effective.Boxing because fighters learn how to receive hit and wrestling+jiujitsu because most fights eventually end up into very close quarters,no chance for kicks and punches then.WuShu I would have wanted to study but here was no school when I was younger and now my bones too old to stand tumbling and falling movements.I like chen tai chi.there is sword and some explosive movements too,not everything is slow

I would also have liked to take up some wushu, but they don't teach it here. It would really push my physical boundaries, and it's very aesthetic and elegant. There's nothing more soothing than tai chi for me for ultimate relaxation, and as you mentioned with the explosive movements, there is true power in the art. I would love to take up the sword style as well. There are too many forms, and too little time, unfortunately.

For self defence you're right that they are probably the most effective, not just for the fighting systems, but also for hardening your body enabling you to take heavy blows.

I don't really practice martial arts for fighting skills though, including self defence techniques, since there are so many variables in situations that require defending oneself. You can't really prepare for everything, and plan your moves, as you don't know what your opponent will do, and you will act mostly on instinct and adrenaline. Can't hurt to have a solid foundation though. :)

I practice to strengthen my body and mind. Sounds like a Karate Kid cliché, but it pretty much sums it up. I feel more healthy than ever, and I feel completely rested pretty much all day (I don't sleep alot, and I don't drink coffee). As for the mind, I think martial arts training mainly works on your patience and dedication, as well as your ability to push your own boundaries. Depends on how you're training of course.

Also.. can't hurt getting a tight body as well, I guess. :D

gravedigger666

I studied tkd into red belt when was so young....in competition one yellow belt spin kicked me into head.I did understand 2 things then.1st I have no talent to that style.roughly said it was kinda check playing,punish from mistakes of others.I was not good in chess either.2nd my ranking was too high.I quit.

Guest Markgway

I damaged by knee when I was a teenager which rules out any art that involves excessive kicking.

I would probably go for something like Aikido, which seems more defensive than aggresive, and uses upper body technique. Locks, holds, throws, etc.

kingofkungfu2002

In my opinion they should teach martial arts in schools. Besides the obvious fitness & self defence benefits, it'd also help with concentration, discipline and respect. Something which today's kids are sadly lacking.:(

For those of you that believe grappling arts to be the most effective I would seriously have to disagree and I'm speaking from real world experience.

Grappling in a real life self defence situation is EXTREMELY dangerous. It works very well in the Kwoon / Dojo / School etc but in the real world it is completely different and can easily get you killed.

gravedigger666

Are you speaking from personal experience?spin round kick to head or palm strike to chest is mostly movie stuff.Thing you move so fast jiujitsu or wrestler cannot grab will not apply to most practitioners of kung-fu,karate or tkd.almost all arts have lost to muay thai,what lack in finesse they more than overcome it by sheer effectiveness.But even those will be overcomed usually when someone strong and good in grabbling gets hold of them.

I'm speaking from experience.

I did grappling arts for a good number of years, I also trained in Muay Thai in Udonthani Thailand fulltime for around 4yrs when I was living at a Muay Thai camp there but the only art I train in now is Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do (been training in it for around 15yrs)

Your claims you make about when someone strong grabs hold of you are wildly inaccurate.

Chinatown Kid

Interesting view fabhui. Would you say it is still better off knowing how to grapple and have experience in it then not knowing any? Where I can see grappling getting you in trouble is when you go up against more than one opponent at a time, when your locked up with one guy the other can strike you or stomp your head if your on the ground. As far as strength I think it's definately an advantage in a fight imo. I've always heard that when two guys of equal skill and conditioning go up against one another the stronger one will usually prevail, but it's true there's alot of variables in deciding a fight. I do respect your opinions and experience fabhui and am not saying your wrong and I'm right.

GhostFaceKiller

I have studied Hung Ga Kuen for a little over a year and I will be training in it for the rest of my life. Training in traditional Chinese Gung Fu is probably the most rewarding life decision I have ever made. I too was inspired by Gung Fu cinema. If it were not for Lau Kar Leung I would not be training today. For that I am forever in his debt. Oh, and he also made some of the greatest movies of all time.

jiujitsu77
I'm speaking from experience.

I did grappling arts for a good number of years, I also trained in Muay Thai in Udonthani Thailand fulltime for around 4yrs when I was living at a Muay Thai camp there but the only art I train in now is Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do (been training in it for around 15yrs)

Your claims you make about when someone strong grabs hold of you are wildly inaccurate.

depends on when you use it. im speaking from experience as well. don't get me wrong. im not going to my guard and slowly working for a triangle choke while im fighting a jerk at a bar. by that time his buddies are kicking my head in. im just saying ive taken care of myself with bjj. however i know that other arts are key as well to street survival, therefore i try to become the most well rounded martial artist i can. no one method is fool proof. it is the practitioner that executes the skill that matters.

if grappling isnt that effective on the street, why would larry hartzell emphasize it so much in jkd? why would inosanto receive a black belt from rigan machado?. again i know where you come from, i just think it has it's place on the street as well

Ok, first of all I am only speaking from my own personal experience and jiujitsu77 I agree with you 100% that it isn't so much the art as the practitioner that makes the difference.

I would like to quickly address one point in that the grappling that Larry Hartsell did had no connection with Jeet Kune Do...my honest opinion on what Jeet Kune Do is and is not.

I am coming from a fighting background, not a competition or sports based background but a fighting one. In a fight there are more efficient, simple and direct ways of dealing with the situation (if it gets physical) than grappling.

For me my concern is how I can stop an aggressor as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Why would I want to grapple and roll around the floor with him when I can stop him by ramming his eye into the back of his skull, breaking his knee which is very easily done or smacking him on the jaw and knocking him out??

Working on the doors I have seen people grapple and get stabbed while doing it, get their heads jumped on by other people who aren't involved, had their faces stamped on by 4, 5 or 6 people while they have been down on the deck and god knows what else.

I am asking myself why do I want to use both my hands to try and grapple with someone when I can use either to knock him out??

If someone tries to grapple with me how can I stop him as fast and efficiently as possible??

I'm not saying any particular art is better than any other..far from it. I can only speak from my own experience and what I know works for me and has saved my neck more times than I care to remember.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Wow, this forum is an interesting place, and this thread rocks.

On the clip- didn't watch it as I've seen the movie, but the technique in STREET TRASH I think was most effective in getting the point across was when the guy beats the other guy then triggers his self gag reflex to vomit on the guy... that he's already thrown face down into a urinal. Damn!

On the topic- I AGREE WITH DIFFERENT THINGS THAT EACH OF YOU HAVE SAID. I certainly think that an over-emphasis on grappling is a good way to get your head stomped in most real world situations. But I also feel that it's great to have at least practiced the basics, and have a decent understanding of this type of fighting skill within your martial repertoire, as 9 out of 10 fights wind up on the ground. The 1 out of 10 that solves it without going down isn't usually the strongest, but the fastest combatant with the most realistic concept of physical combat. It's the person that expends the minimum amount of energy to maximum effect in the fastest and most strategic manner who will be the victor. IMO

At the risk of pulling a "Miyagi", I'll quote my Sensei who would say "Simple is safe, fancy is fatal".

For me, old time jujitsu is the most logical self defense system I've ever practiced or seen. I certainly think a cutting palm to the jaw is safer and more effective than dropping low and grabbing my opponent. Jujitsu has the kicks, punches, locks/controls, and ground fighting techniques required to do the job, should it need to be done. On the other hand, I abhor real violence as much as I revel in it's cinematic depiction. Especially if I'm the one doing it. In Shinowara style we say "We train a thousand hours for a second we hope never comes". I think Gung Fu is the coolest looking of the arts. I love the flow and intention of Aikido. There is something about all martial arts that fascinates me or which I find beautiful. I don't think it's the perfect style for everybody. Body type (mine's less than ideal for Wu shu), cerebral state, and personality all play a factor in the best art for each individual. And I'm not just saying that to be even-keeled. But, for me, Jujitsu is the one. It's well rounded in the way I need it to be.

I hope you guys don't mind me putting in my two sense lately. I'm new to the forum, and I hope I'm not intruding on old friends.

On a less serious note, can any of you guys tell me what the move the "Shadow Death Fall" is? It's something I just saw a TV....

...It sounds like a technique from a lost Jet Li movie, but it's actually a dance move!

Chinatown Kid

Hey man your not intruding on anything, everyone's opinon is valid and the more viewpoints we hear the better. I think all arts/fighting methods have value, it's just finding out what works for you that counts. I'm not closed minded when it comes to styles and am willing to include anything in my arsenal if it's effective and useful. The thing is you don't want to be style hopping to quickly and never stay in one thing long enough to master it or at least use it effectively. :)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hey thanks Man.

I hear you. Practioner of all, master of none. Good point. But I don't want to be the greatest, purist practioner of Karate, or Mui Thai Boxing, or whatever style. That's not my goal. Though that may be why some people would train in an art, my goal is to learn what I think is useful martial arts. That's just my goal. Unfortunately I got into training after being the victim of violence. It became necessary for me to heal emotionally, that I snuff out the fear of further senseless violence against me. It was a turning point. I had never seen it coming. I'd never dreamed anyone would ever really try to hurt me as long as I was a good guy and didn't bother anybody else (grew up in a fairly tame suburb!). Then suddenly, one day there was a wake up call of multiple fists and boots pounding me senseless. I knew I had two choices after that- Live in fear for the rest of my life, backed into a corner, and take whatever crap came my way. Or make sure it never happened again, by learning how to bite when need be. Without martial arts to help me gain my confidence, I would have stayed an angry bitter person forever. Eventually I also began to appreciate the "art" of the martial ways. But the beginning was totally out of a need to survive. I may not have stuck with the same style for many, many years, but everything I learned became a part of me, and the lessons and techniques didn't become invallid as I learned new ones. They just become reconfigured, refined, further expanded. To me, this is what Bruce meant when he said (paraphrasing) "read this book, then throw it away". I think I'm following the philosophy of Jeet Kune Do, "taking what works, and discarding classical mess" you know? Though I don't personally think of centuries of tradition and form as a mess, I get what Bruce meant. Many of the "forms" in different disciplines lack applicable logic since a real fight has no form. I'm sorry to say that during my years working in the city, I had to use some of what I've learned. Glad it worked. Very sorry there was no peaceful alternative. But my training has served it's purpose, and I enjoy it too.