What's your style? (Which martial arts do you study?)

Chinatown Kid

• Administrator

Hello, and welcome Sifu Santi! It's really great to have you here with us.

I will merge this thread with the "What's Your Style?" thread.

I've just recently overcome my anxiety and taken up Muay Thai. There's also a new Wing Chun school nearby that I'm very interested in.

• Like 7

I've studied/study  Jeet Kune Do and Shotokan Karate. I wish I could live forever as so many different and interesting styles on earth (look how many styles Michael Jai white has done and sure some old school HK guys have learnt more) but I would never be able to learn them all which is why I love martial art movies so I can at least see some stylized versions of them :) 

• Like 5

I studied tae kwon do for 18 years.All I wanted to do was be able to do the kicks I saw in the movies so that's why I choose tae kwon do.I would train at least 3 times a week(sometimes 5)and absolutely loved it but became ill and had to stop,to this day I still think about it and miss those days just like I miss the old ways of making a classic Kung fu movie from the 70s 80s and 90s.?

• Like 5

I've been a member of Kung Fu Fandom/Cinema for about 8 years now and I'm only just getting around to posting in this thread. Guess I put it off because it's a bit complicated to explain.

From 2003-2010 I officially trained in/studied Wadō-ryū Karate however it was taught in a very unorthodox way, in many ways it was taught a lot more like Kickboxing but still with orthodox Karate moves, techniques and Kata (forms), though I still think those aspects where less orthodox than most Karate clubs/schools.The emphasis on Kickboxing probably stems from the fact as far as I'm aware they only taught Karate to kids, adults learnt Kickboxing. They would also teach elements of Muay Thai, Jujutsu and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (not too surprising since Wadō-ryū developed from Jujutsu and Kickboxing from Muay Thai). I also learnt Xtreme Martial Arts or XMA which I later learned was more a brand than a style, a performance martial art might be the best way to describe it. It might be worth noting that I briefly attended classes in Taekwondo (2005) and Kung Fu (around 2008 or 09 and 2011).

• Like 6

HansKungfury

I study Kung Fu in Apeldoorn in the Netherlands under a teacher Patrick van Steen 'Long Feng'.

The system i study is southern Five Animal Kung Fu, Ng Ying Kungfu, Ng Ying Kuen. 

This Ng Ying martial arts style teaches us the techniques of the Tiger, Leopard, Crane, Snake and Dragon.

We also get some boxing and taekwondo related moves, because our teacher Patrick has also done those styles

• Like 4

When I was younger Shotokan Karate, Kenpo Karate, Taekwondo, Bujinkan, and then later on JKD, FMA/Kali, Krambit, and Wing Chun.

Have some dan rank(s), but the older I get the more I feel the belt system is a OK for schools (for profit), so I consider myself a life long student and don't go by rank anymore.

Learn for fun these days. 

• Like 5

NoKUNGFUforYU

Bok Fu (one of many, silly Kempo offshots pretending to be Kung Fu), Tae Kwon Do, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai and Wu Shu. Also, a tiny bit of Judo, which was probably the best style of all of them. And a little bit of Wing Chun, but the sifu did it all wrong. Now have a back implant, so, that's the end of that. Still do some forms and twirl some weapons.

• Like 4

Omni Dragon
22 hours ago, ikungfuyou said:

Have some dan rank(s), but the older I get the more I feel the belt system is a OK for schools (for profit), so I consider myself a life long student and don't go by rank anymore.

I agree with this sentiment. I believe a person's skill and time spend means a lot more than the token belt and awards. I also believe that same principle applies to other endeavours. 

That said I don't think my ego is beyond wanting some praise and acknowledgement.

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon
  • Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I hope it's okay that I add to this thread (which was last updated in June 2019)!

I practice Aikido for about 4-5 months and took a hiatus for about 2 years.

I tried Kenpo Karate for about 6 months at a community college, and stopped once I transferred to a university.

Once I graduated from university, I studied Northern Shaolin & Praying Mantis for 4-5 years.

The Kung Fu studio became no different from a daycare center for children, with children as young as 8 years of age practicing with someone as old as 54 years of age!

I left as things got worse, and currently practice Hapkido.

• Like 5